Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Current: Any TPAC F on CX regardless of the miles needed.

Past: DL miles (I think 40 or 50K, all via promotions for no cost) SEA-CAI on DL and partners.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by daadam
United LHR-LAX-SYD-MEL in FIRST in the new seats 100K miles ...
First, welcome to Flyertalk, daadam!! ^

But how did you get that distance on 100K miles in the new seats in United First? Seems that the 100K FC price and the new seats would not have existed at the same time?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Fall 2007 oneWorld Business award routed to be RTW, for 150,000 AA miles and $194 in taxes/fees, and an example of how to really use a oneWorld award:

DCA-(AA)-ORD-(AA)-YYZ-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-NRT [stop for 9 days]
NRT-(CX)-HKG [stop for 6 days]
HKG-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-MEL [stop for 3 days]
MEL-(QF)-SYD [stop for 5 days]
SYD-(QF)-CHC-(QF)-ZQN [stop for 3 days]
ZQN-(QF)-AKL [stop for 6 days]
AKL-(QF)-LAX-(AA)-IAD

I even managed to ride the upper deck of a 747 for the short MEL-SYD hop due to diligence in finding it and making the doubtful phone TA continue reading down her list of flights as it had the exact same departure time as a domestic QF flight MEL-SYD at the top of her list and she was more than skeptical that Qantas would have two flights between the same airports with exactly the same departure times. Routing it on the 747 also meant departing via the International terminal, and thus a much better lounge to wait in vs. the domestic terminal.

Steve32
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:12 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by KevinB
Have to say that AA 1st SFO-NYC, then Concorde LGA-LHR and back was the best use of points I ever used. I can't remember how many points it was - I think it was either 100,000 or 125,000 pp/rt.

Of course, the fact that the crew already knew that the Concorde would be ending soon after helped make it special too - we asked for and were given the emergency cards, menus, wine lists and four Concorde napkin rings as souvenirs...
Was this from LGA or JFK? I thought Concorde never flew or couldn't fly into and out of LGA.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:15 pm

Florida to Hawaii & Back w/Delta for 62k each (bought 3 tickets)
PBI-ATL-LAX-LIH
OGG-MSP-ATL-PBI
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last year DL for 32.5K (Y Award)

RDU-MSP-SMF-SLC-LAX-RDU

Doesn't look like an award? Well I am a long suffering San Francisco Giants fan and my team was in the World Series. I booked that the night they beat Philadelphia in the NLCS which was four days before game 1. Thanks to that award, I got to cheer the Black and Orange as they beat Texas from AT&T Park instead of from at home.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by HoKo
That would be an open jaw not a stopover. A stopover is when you do something like Fly from WAS - MUC, stopover in Munich for 4 days and then continue on to BUD (destination)

An open jaw would be fly from WAS - MUC - BUD on the outbound and then PRG - BER - WAS on the inbound. You flew into Budapest but your return flight originated in Prague
How are people managing that though? Is there a specific way to search for that?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by pduan87
How are people managing that though? Is there a specific way to search for that?
search as a multi-city. some allow open jaw, some do not
Old Mar 6, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by libuser
my absolute best is nwa bug.
I redeemed ANC-SEA-ATL-CDG-TLV-AMS-PVG-NRT-SYD-LAX-SEA-ANC in F/J
with stopovers in CDG, TLV, AMS, PVG, and SYD for 40k NWA miles.
It was right before the merger. Someone posted the bug of a closed loop end-to-end bug and it immediately got removed but I was one of the lucky ones.

It stayed alive for at least 2 months and a few of us booked trips like that. : )
Amazing!
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by johndeere19
Amazing!
Wow- that is all I have to say about that

and can I just say that this thread is awesome
Old Mar 6, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by pduan87
And for me, it's ultimately to the phone for these "off piste". If I'm that determined, and it's not on * Alliance (for which I can call free), then it's the best $ spent in travel.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AS, UA, AA, TWA, PAN AM, PSA
Got lucky a few weeks ago and booked a First Class saver ticket on United to Europe for the week of July 4th. 135k miles! PDX-SFO-FRA Return, FRA-ORD-PDX.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA-.5MM BIS/HH Gld; WN-CP
2 for the price of 1

Just booked 20K AA one-way LHR-HNL award with 11 months stopover in RDU. Planning to book another 20K Spring 2012 return flight from HNL to Europe with another 11 month stopover. Stopover is allowed in North American gateway on transoceanic segment.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: Oneworld
Originally Posted by steve32
Fall 2007 oneWorld Business award routed to be RTW, for 150,000 AA miles and $194 in taxes/fees, and an example of how to really use a oneWorld award:

DCA-(AA)-ORD-(AA)-YYZ-(BA)-LHR-(BA)-NRT [stop for 9 days]
NRT-(CX)-HKG [stop for 6 days]
HKG-(QF)-SYD-(QF)-MEL [stop for 3 days]
MEL-(QF)-SYD [stop for 5 days]
SYD-(QF)-CHC-(QF)-ZQN [stop for 3 days]
ZQN-(QF)-AKL [stop for 6 days]
AKL-(QF)-LAX-(AA)-IAD

I even managed to ride the upper deck of a 747 for the short MEL-SYD hop due to diligence in finding it and making the doubtful phone TA continue reading down her list of flights as it had the exact same departure time as a domestic QF flight MEL-SYD at the top of her list and she was more than skeptical that Qantas would have two flights between the same airports with exactly the same departure times. Routing it on the 747 also meant departing via the International terminal, and thus a much better lounge to wait in vs. the domestic terminal.

Steve32
That is poetic...well done!

Last edited by Jennifer Strbac; Mar 19, 2011 at 9:26 am Reason: sp
Old Mar 16, 2011, 12:03 am

Back in the Spring of 1983, I redeemed 75,000 miles for 2 UA F tickets ANC-SFO-HNL-PDX-ORD-BOS-ORD-SEA-ANC. Nice for someone living in PDX

I also redeemed 75,000 TW miles in 1987 and used them for 2 F seats PDX-SEA-JFK-CAI-BOM-CAI-CDG-JFK-SEA-PDX.

Recently? Last year I used 120,000 miles for one DL BE seat for PDX-NRT-SIN-NRT-PDX. And that was for a last-minute business trip,no real fun.

Just goes to show how the programs have changed over the years since their inception in the early 1980's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.