Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

What is Your Best Airline Award Redemption?

Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
...or, for overall value, using any domestic United States program miles for First or Business travel on nearly every non-US-domestic airline. (And I think there already may be such a pattern developing in this thread.)
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Though this trip was not as fun as the RTW, it was a great award redemption. First Class to S Asia via Europe for 120k!

There was a screwup on day of departure (my fault) so here are both the originally booked and modified itineraries.

Original Itinerary
IAD-JFK (UA)
JFK-IST (TK)
(day)
IST-MUC (TK)
(stop)
MUC-BKK (TG)
BKK-SGN (LH)
(dest)
SGN-BKK (TG)
BKK-ZRH (TG)
ZRH-JFK (LX)
JFK-IAD (UA)

Actual Flown
DCA-LGA (US)
(overnight)
LGA-PHL (US)
PHL-ORD (US)
ORD-ZRH (LX)
ZRH-MUC (LH)
(stop)
MUC-BKK (TG)
BKK-SGN (LH)
(dest)
SGN-BKK (TG)
BKK-ZRH (TG)
ZRH-JFK (LX)
*Threw away the JFK-IAD in order to hop on a UA p.s. flight in First to LAX connecting to PDX
Old Mar 3, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
deleted, duplicate

Last edited by Catusa; Mar 3, 2011 at 1:16 pm Reason: duplicate
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I was on a business trip to Peru and Equador and looking for a sidetrip to scuba dive. I had miles in an old NW account that were below the threshold for any award I thought but I found UIO-BON for 10,000 and less than 20 USD. It was a great use of miles and BON has amazing scuba diving. After my trip, I caught my business return flt BON-Europe.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Best redemption: it would be hard to choose from these 2, both for Mrs FTF and I.

1. Got LAX-LHR-JNB and back in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class, redeemed on Delta in I think 2005, right before they killed the partnership. In fact, our return flight was the day before the last flying date for Delta miles redemption, so I was terrified in case we missed our connection earlier that day from Livingstone, Zambia, but it all went great. What a fabulous way to travel all those hours, and the magnificent LHR Virgin Club.

I don't remember the mileage spent, other than as a partner flight it was the base rate. But I do remember vividly I only had 2000 extra when I ticketed it. (Which is a lot of what turned me into the mukes slut I am today.) I probably called every day for 40-45 consecutive days to get both flights lined up right. (Hardest I've ever worked for a redemption.)

2. In 2009 we flew UA new first class LAX-SYD-MEL and back at the base (saver) rate. I had saved up miles and saw that Business wasn't available at Saver, as I expected. I thought I was going to have to fork over the rip-off rate, and have saved up the miles for that.

I didn't even think of checking First class...I called reservations to check on partner flights and that's when the agent told me they had it at the low price for First. The best surprise value for sure.

Current reservations: we've got 2 business at base rate SAN-DFW-CDG for vacation in September and an Alaska flight SAN-SEA and YVR-SEA-SAN on Delta miles in May, also at base rate.

Over the years it seems like we've been able to score base rate tickets about half the time or a bit better (just talking premium overwater, of course; wouldn't usually overpay for domestic), and had to bite the bullet on the high rate the other half.

FTF
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
LAX-CDG(Stop for over a week and tour Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam)-EVN(Dest)-CDG(2 days)-LAX in Business Class for 100,000 Alaska Miles. Similar tickets were selling for between 8,000 and 13,000 USD when I booked my flight.

ORD-CDG-MUC(Dest)-CDG(stop for a week)-LAX again on AF Business Class for 100,000 AS miles. Went to Oktoberfest with my Dad, it was the first time he had left the US in about 30 years and he was so impressed that when we landed in CDG he was legitimately disappointed the flight was over and told me if we just turned around and went home it would have still been worth it because he was so relaxed.

I know people like to hate on AF's service but given it is the only international premium cabin I have flow in I think it is amazing!

Currently booked LAX-SFO-HGK-DPS-HKG-LAX in F going and J coming back on Cathay Pacific for AA miles but its costing me a ton of miles due to AA not allowing free stopovers
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
haven't booked too many

ROC-LGA JFK-GVA outbound LX
FRA-DTW inbound LH (FCT baby^)

2 x J 68k ANA each
1 x F 100k ANA
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:27 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Best ever: 2x125k Executive Club miles for BA First AUS-ORD-LHR-CPT/JNB for our honeymoon.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 10:35 am
Suspended

CLT-DCA - US F
car to IAD

IAD-LHR - UA F

(stopover)

LHR-JNB - SA J

JNB- TNR - SA J
(Destination)

open jaw.

JNB-NBO - SA J

NBO - ZRH - LX F

ZRH-MUC - LX C

(stopover)

MUC-CLT - LH F

145K miles each and $140 in tax
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:17 pm

For my honeymoon in Sept 2010
HNL>DFW>CDG 30K AA Miles $15 in taxes
LHR>ORD>HNL 20K AA Miles $250 in taxes
total spend 100k AA Miles $265 and memories for a lifetime.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 3:53 pm

I have found a clever, and very good redemption: My girlfriens is Ukrainian, and that means that se needs to get a visa every time she needs to travel. Well, to get the visa, she usually needs to show (among other things) a return flight ticket.

But since a visa is not 100% sure to get, we (i.e I) dont like spending money on a thing that she can get "no" as an answer on.

Solution: Book her flights a Biz or First redemptions (since the embassy will see Biz/First tickets, thinking that nobody will waste such money on throwing away the return part on such expensive ticket, she almost always gets the visa), apply for visa, return the ticket and put her on a cheap flight instead.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
120k CO miles for business class in 2009
YYZ-AMS-BHX-DXB-NBO on KL/EK/KQ
CPT-DXB-JFK-DTW-YYZ on EK/NW

15k BD miles + $200 for one way business class on TK/TG in 2010
BUS-IST-BKK(stop)-KTM

18.75k BD miles + $400 for one way business class NZ/LH/TK/LH in 2011
NOU-AKL-LAX(stop)-FRA-IST-GYD-ASB

110k NW miles for business class in 2010 shortly before shutdown of nwa.com on DL/SU/AF - SU/DL
YYZ-DTW-LAX-SVO-LHR/ground stop/CDG-EVN
DEL-SVO-NRT-LAX-JFK-YYZ

the last one pains the most, because none of that would be allowed by today's Delta.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by gdaily
I have found a clever, and very good redemption: My girlfriens is Ukrainian, and that means that se needs to get a visa every time she needs to travel. Well, to get the visa, she usually needs to show (among other things) a return flight ticket.

But since a visa is not 100% sure to get, we (i.e I) dont like spending money on a thing that she can get "no" as an answer on.

Solution: Book her flights a Biz or First redemptions (since the embassy will see Biz/First tickets, thinking that nobody will waste such money on throwing away the return part on such expensive ticket, she almost always gets the visa), apply for visa, return the ticket and put her on a cheap flight instead.
I usually have to get visas for everywhere too, but in my case, I usually book the flights anyway since I've never been denied. If I had to book a 'fake' ticket, I would rather just book a full-fare C/F ticket (or even Y) and then get a refund instead of dealing with award space and redemptions...

The float on the credit card helps. Ideally the refund will post before I even have to pay for the ticket, but if not, I can handle the float.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: A few
I think my favorite is a simple but cheap one, LHR-DXB-LHR for 50k BA miles for me and Mrs MA in BA First using Amex UK 2-4-1.

Last years trip to the Maldives was pretty good. Used 135k each to go YUL-JFK-HKG-SIN and back HKG-YYZ in CX F (paid our own way to get back to YUL on WestJet) then what I think is an excellent value 30k each US air miles to go SIN-MLE RT in J

This year going back to Maldives the other way round. RDU-LGA-stopover-JFK-LCY/LGW-MLE-LGW-stopover-LHR-JFK-stopover-YVR, all in business class. This came in at 147.5K AA each (one 67.5k to get RDU-MLE, one 30k to get MLE-LGW, one 50k to get LHR-JFK-YVR). To get a stopover in London had to use two separate awards but made up for some of that by tagging on the JFK-YVR trip in CX biz for next winters ski trip to Whistler. Impressed with myself that I got this done for a family of four.

We have around 1m DL miles from various sources for next years jaunt which will circle around Seychelles and South Africa. The joy of miles
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Some great and creative answers here, but the bottom line for me are the two trips (in my case using AA miles) that got my wife and myself transpacific in CX F.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.