Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[OP link EXPIRED]Hilton HHonor AMEX points - 62,500 (50k easy)

[OP link EXPIRED]Hilton HHonor AMEX points - 62,500 (50k easy)

Old Jul 1, 11, 10:58 am
  #76  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 93
I was just approved for the this hilton no fee AMEX card

and 2 days later (before I recvd the card) I got an email to "upgrade" my account to Amex Surpass and get 60000 bonus points

with $75 fee

does that mean that if i do upgrade I will not get the 50k bonus points from the no-fee card?

anyone else in this dilemma?
apuraja is offline  
Old Jul 2, 11, 9:50 pm
  #77  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33
So, does anyone know how long it takes for the points to be deposited into the account after application is successful? I need to book a hotel for 7/26 and the application was successful on 6/30, is it in time?
eudora is offline  
Old Jul 2, 11, 9:51 pm
  #78  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Intermountain West
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,633
Originally Posted by eudora View Post
So, does anyone know how long it takes for the points to be deposited into the account after application is successful? I need to book a hotel for 7/26 and the application was successful on 6/30, is it in time?
Check post #75 just above.
philemer is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 6:53 am
  #79  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,816
No one has really clarified with 62500 points will get you. I know that with the Intercontinental Hotels PC Card for 49/year it has been discussed that 15,000/nt can be expected. So we know that offer will get you about 5 nights in a hotel. Combined with the 10% rebate on redemptions, and you will have 8000 points given back if you redeem all 80k. Combine that with the 5000 points you have remaining and you will have nearly enough for 6 nights stay with the PC card.....
Then the card makes sense in the long run because it has the free night/yr deal.

This is a fee-free way to enter Hilton's program. But is it worth it? I got the points/mileage bug and now I really need to evaluate just how rewarding the card is given the impact on my credit score.

*edit

I signed up for the card. I think the points will be worth it. Despite the fact that I can convert airline miles to these points at a sweet redemption rate.


*edit #2

Declined for the card. App said my fico score is 667. Can I call and ask to be reconsidered?

Last edited by factory81; Jul 3, 11 at 7:45 am
factory81 is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 7:55 am
  #80  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 474
Originally Posted by eudora View Post
So, does anyone know how long it takes for the points to be deposited into the account after application is successful? I need to book a hotel for 7/26 and the application was successful on 6/30, is it in time?
I just got this card. The 20,000 after the first purchase was deposited into my account 4 days after that purchase was made. I have not hit the $500.00 spending limit yet to get the other 30,000.
Saas is offline  
Old Jul 3, 11, 8:15 am
  #81  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 6,944
Originally Posted by Saas View Post
I just got this card. The 20,000 after the first purchase was deposited into my account 4 days after that purchase was made.
Same here. The first 20K hits very soon after the first purchase; no waiting until the close of the billing cycle.
beltway is offline  
Old Jul 5, 11, 1:22 am
  #82  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ANC, SAP
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Posts: 1,804
Thinking about canceling my SPG AMEX as fee will start soon. Does anyone know if it is possible just to have AMEX switch programs/convert cards? If so, would I qualify for this signup bonus? And would I avoid any credit inquiry?

Thanks in advance.
ANC RED-EYE is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:23 am
  #83  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 19
This card was my first attempt at starting to build up hotel points and flight miles

We have a trip later in the year we can use these for.

I was approved instantly and then so was my wife. We will have two accounts with hilton is there a way to combine those ever? So when we make the reservation or how do you work that out to use both of our points for one reservation?

The OP said some should have over 125k I know I'll be at 50k plus what I spend but any other ways to rack these points up?

I did the amex because I am keeping my first citi app for the AA card I think at the moment
trich is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 1:03 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 230
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
Thinking about canceling my SPG AMEX as fee will start soon. Does anyone know if it is possible just to have AMEX switch programs/convert cards? If so, would I qualify for this signup bonus? And would I avoid any credit inquiry?

Thanks in advance.

I am a total newbie so I don't want to get ahead of my skis. But my experience has been if you have 1 AMEX, you can sign up for another AMEX and get that bonus. I even did this switching from a gold card to the "Premier" gold card they currently have -- the customer rep did the switch on the phone and assured me I would get the points (and I did). In terms of credit inquiries over past 6 months I have taken out the SPG and the Hilton card, but haven't had an inquiry. I'm not sure why exactly but I think this is discussed comprehensively in another thread on this site.
shanshan is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 3:45 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: varies
Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE View Post
Thinking about canceling my SPG AMEX as fee will start soon. Does anyone know if it is possible just to have AMEX switch programs/convert cards? If so, would I qualify for this signup bonus? And would I avoid any credit inquiry?

Thanks in advance.
I would first sign up for the HH Amex. Then call and cancel the SPG. The cool thing about Amex is that your credit report shows the Account Open date for all Amex cards as the open date on your earliest Amex, thus helping to age your credit. E.g. if you opened the SPG in 2009 then, although you are opening the HH in 2011, your credit report will show the HH as being open since 2009.

Inquiries are interesting. If you have an existing relationship with a company then they are likely pulling your report/score on a regular basis anyway. I pulled all 3 of my bureau scores and reports about a month ago. Amex seems to be pulling my Experian 2, sometimes 3 times a month -- and up until recently I only had 2 cards with them (now 3). So I am not sure if they will just look at the most recent one they already have on file, or pull a new one. I am planning on buying all 3 reports again in the next month or so, as I recently completed somewhat of an app-o-rama (right after pulling my reports in June). I want to see how the new cards and inquiries affected my scores, and also see which inquiries hit where.

BTW, I got this card last month and have used it for a few purchases and a Hilton stay. Man, is it ever easy to rack up the HHonors points. After just one stay I hit 26547 points. 20k for the Amex first use bonus, 1290 base HH points, 1290 from HH double points promo, 645 from 50% bonus HH "points and miles" choice, 500 from "Amex online booking bonus" (which I never heard about before it showed up on my statement), 322 points from Gold VIP 25% bonus (from Visa Signature promo), and the 2500 bonus points from the HH Amex for my first stay at a Hilton. Phew! So even discounting the bonus points from the HH Amex, the HH bonuses all came to ~4000 points from a one-night stay at $129. And just recently the 30k bonus points from the $500 spend. All of this hit my HHonors account before my first billing statement has even come out. (Although the normal points per dollar spend have not hit yet and probably will not until the billing cycle is over.) Incredible.

One thing to note is the Amex website has a place that shows "HHonors" rewards, but mine has stayed blank. (It is right under the Membership Rewards balance, if you have a Membership Rewards card.) Maybe it will show something when the billing cycle hits. But don't worry about it if you notice it blank -- the bonus points will still hit your HHonors account without ever showing up on the Amex website.
badgerW is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 8:06 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 218
anyone know if one can convert an existing amex card into this one and be eligible for the promo?
japaik is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 8:52 pm
  #87  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: varies
Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by japaik View Post
anyone know if one can convert an existing amex card into this one and be eligible for the promo?
Why convert? Just apply for it. Later you can cancel the other one if you want. If you get denied then you may need to call and drop the credit line on the original card, or drop the card completely. But otherwise there's really no point to converting, IMO.
badgerW is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:44 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 218
it was because i already have 4 personal cards with them, so it would be an auto-reject and a potential FA (at least that's my understanding?)
japaik is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:01 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: varies
Programs: AA Plat; Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, BestW Plat
Posts: 202
Originally Posted by japaik View Post
it was because i already have 4 personal cards with them, so it would be an auto-reject and a potential FA (at least that's my understanding?)
Doesn't seem like there's really a limit, at least not as low as 4. One guy in this thread says that Amex finally balked once he had 10+ cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...hold-time.html
badgerW is offline  
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:34 pm
  #90  
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ANC, SAP
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Posts: 1,804
Originally Posted by shanshan View Post
I am a total newbie so I don't want to get ahead of my skis. But my experience has been if you have 1 AMEX, you can sign up for another AMEX and get that bonus. I even did this switching from a gold card to the "Premier" gold card they currently have -- the customer rep did the switch on the phone and assured me I would get the points (and I did). In terms of credit inquiries over past 6 months I have taken out the SPG and the Hilton card, but haven't had an inquiry. I'm not sure why exactly but I think this is discussed comprehensively in another thread on this site.
Originally Posted by badgerW View Post
I would first sign up for the HH Amex. Then call and cancel the SPG. The cool thing about Amex is that your credit report shows the Account Open date for all Amex cards as the open date on your earliest Amex, thus helping to age your credit. E.g. if you opened the SPG in 2009 then, although you are opening the HH in 2011, your credit report will show the HH as being open since 2009.

Inquiries are interesting. If you have an existing relationship with a company then they are likely pulling your report/score on a regular basis anyway. I pulled all 3 of my bureau scores and reports about a month ago. Amex seems to be pulling my Experian 2, sometimes 3 times a month -- and up until recently I only had 2 cards with them (now 3). So I am not sure if they will just look at the most recent one they already have on file, or pull a new one. I am planning on buying all 3 reports again in the next month or so, as I recently completed somewhat of an app-o-rama (right after pulling my reports in June). I want to see how the new cards and inquiries affected my scores, and also see which inquiries hit where.

BTW, I got this card last month and have used it for a few purchases and a Hilton stay. Man, is it ever easy to rack up the HHonors points. After just one stay I hit 26547 points. 20k for the Amex first use bonus, 1290 base HH points, 1290 from HH double points promo, 645 from 50% bonus HH "points and miles" choice, 500 from "Amex online booking bonus" (which I never heard about before it showed up on my statement), 322 points from Gold VIP 25% bonus (from Visa Signature promo), and the 2500 bonus points from the HH Amex for my first stay at a Hilton. Phew! So even discounting the bonus points from the HH Amex, the HH bonuses all came to ~4000 points from a one-night stay at $129. And just recently the 30k bonus points from the $500 spend. All of this hit my HHonors account before my first billing statement has even come out. (Although the normal points per dollar spend have not hit yet and probably will not until the billing cycle is over.) Incredible.

One thing to note is the Amex website has a place that shows "HHonors" rewards, but mine has stayed blank. (It is right under the Membership Rewards balance, if you have a Membership Rewards card.) Maybe it will show something when the billing cycle hits. But don't worry about it if you notice it blank -- the bonus points will still hit your HHonors account without ever showing up on the Amex website.
Thanks for your responses and insights. A few more details about my situation...
-I have been an AMEX customer for >10 years, and will be keeping a longer term card, so the matter of existing relationship and "young" credit card is a moot point, as you point out.
-the annual fee on the SPG AMEX is coming up soon, so (after analyzing my spend), I've decided it makes the most sense to cancel.
-In the midst of this, I have a pending mortgage closing, so don't want to do ANYTHING to affect my credit score (probably being overly cautious). Therefore changing programs on the same line of credit seemed to be a way to avoid inquiries, and changing lines of credit in the midst of the closing. If not for the mortgage, I'd just do some combination of cancel and apply.
-while AMEX may pull your credit periodically and even frequently, there is a distinction between this type of "soft" pull, and a hard pull that is initiated by you as a customer when applying for a new line of credit...it's the hard pull that I want to avoid currently if possible.

If this all isn't possible, I may just hang onto the SPG until after closing, then apply for Hilton and close SPG. Anyone know if AMEX will forgive the annual fee or pro rate it if card is cancelled soon after?
ANC RED-EYE is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: