Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[OP link EXPIRED]Hilton HHonor AMEX points - 62,500 (50k easy)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OP link EXPIRED]Hilton HHonor AMEX points - 62,500 (50k easy)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:17 pm

update

I sent to AMEX the original offer that I had printed out and all the email that had taken place. I sent this by snail mail. In my cover letter I noted that I had canceled all of my AMEX accounts and that I was disappointed in AMEX in that they failed to honor their offer. I am pretty sure I neglected to zero out my cookies and somehow the offer I applied for was redirected. Regardless, I got from AMEX a letter saying they awarded the 30K points. WOW. Now that I canceled the cards and I have to use the Hilton Citi card..... Oh well. I can now reapply now that they corrected the problem, I guess. Will wait for the next offer.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:15 pm

hey all,
i'm confused - is the 62.5k offer still valid? or YMMV?
thanks!
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:20 pm

cancelling

I too got this card recently (actually I think we got 2) in the recent sea of apps that we completed in the last few months.

My question is, I would like to have the opportunity to go fishing for more cards and we have been using the other AMEX Hilton. As a result, I am thinking it makes sense to clear some available credit by closing this card (we already got the bonus on it) even though there is no annual fee.

Do people close cards such as this to give themselves more available credit...or do people only close cards when an annual fee is coming.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:22 pm

Post Above

I am not sure I made it clear in the post above---we have been using the other AM Ex Hilton card to get points which is why I think this card may be expendable and is just a drain on my available credit since I know I have numerous (I know its more than 10, maybe 15) active credit card accounts in total.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by ddfr
Do people close cards such as this to give themselves more available credit...or do people only close cards when an annual fee is coming.
Closing a card wouldn't give you more available credit; it would do the opposite by reducing your available credit line and would in effect reduce your credit score. If you're worried about having to many cards open and want to get rid of one, you may consider asking AMEX to transfer the credit line on the card you're closing to the other AMEX you're using.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 11:54 pm

Applied for this tonight and was instantly approved. Have also taken a screenshot of the application screen with the rewards information (may come in handy for points claim).
Old Sep 28, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I had the card 2 days after I applied. Used it that day and had the initial 20K within a week. Hoping I get the 30K when the statement closes.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
I had the card 2 days after I applied. Used it that day and had the initial 20K within a week. Hoping I get the 30K when the statement closes.
It should post about 2 days after to spend $500. You shouldn't have to wait until the statement closes.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by Saas
It should post about 2 days after to spend $500. You shouldn't have to wait until the statement closes.
Took 4 business days but you are correct.

Debating if I want to burn them on a the Conrad Hong Kong or not... Decisions, decisions!
Old Oct 3, 2011, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by crazyflier
Applied for this tonight and was instantly approved. Have also taken a screenshot of the application screen with the rewards information (may come in handy for points claim).
Received the card today (it once went back due to UPS's strange logic). Called to activate and verified with the CSR that the 20k +30k + 4x2.5k bonus is applicable to my account.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, AA, UA, SW
Upgrade 50K offer from Hilton

Dear ,

Experience the privileges of Gold Status for one year on your Hilton HHonors membership, a complimentary benefit when you upgrade to the Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express1. Your complimentary Gold Status includes great benefits like free Wi-Fi access, the option to choose breakfast at many hotels, late-checkout and room upgrade upon availability, plus a 25% bonus on all Hilton HHonors Base Points you earn. Upgrade and also enjoy:
An upgrade to HHonors Diamond status2 when your total eligible spend reaches $40,000 or more during a calendar year. Enjoy a 50% bonus on all HHonors Base Points earned, 48-hour reservation guarantee, Executive Floor lounge access and room upgrades where available.

Up to 50,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points when you spend $3,000 with your Hilton HHonors Surpass Card in the first three months.3

Free Priority PassTM membership—you'll get access to 600 airport lounges in over 90 countries around the world, and we'll waive the $99 annual membership fee.4

9 points for every eligible dollar spent at hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands; 6 points for every dollar spent on groceries, gas, and cell phone, internet, and cable bills; and 3 points for each dollar spent on anything else.5

***3. You will receive 50,000 Hilton HHonors™ Bonus Points (Bonus Points) if, within the first 90 days following the date on which your Card account was opened, you charge a total of $3,000 or more of eligible purchases on your Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express (Card) ("Threshold Amount"). The 50,000 Bonus Points will be credited to your account 8-12 weeks after you reach the Threshold Amount. Bonus Points do not count toward elite tier qualification.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, US; IHG Plat, SPG, HH Gold
The only Amex card I have is the PRG that I got in May this year, which is a charge card. If I apply for this Amex Hilton for the 50K+ bonus points sometime this month, will the famous Amex "backdate" trick work on this card? (i.e. The hilton card would turn out to have a 5 month history instead of 0 month showing on my credit report.)

My credit score is good but the average age is under 2 years, hence I am trying to be cautious, especially since I am trying to apply for this Hilton Amex and the Barclays 40k US Airways card at the same day.

Would like to hear from your experience with Amex, TIA!
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, BA, CO, UA, US, B6, DL, Amex MR, HH
The backdating on the credit report is for the year only. If you've only been a member since 2011, all future cards (as long as you're a continuous cardmember) will have 2011 as the card opening date, but with the actual month that you applied. Therefore, if you apply for it now, it will say 'opened oct 2011'. I'd suggest waiting until jan, since it would then report as 'opened jan 2011'.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, US; IHG Plat, SPG, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dinosims
The backdating on the credit report is for the year only. If you've only been a member since 2011, all future cards (as long as you're a continuous cardmember) will have 2011 as the card opening date, but with the actual month that you applied. Therefore, if you apply for it now, it will say 'opened oct 2011'. I'd suggest waiting until jan, since it would then report as 'opened jan 2011'.
Thank you so much, dinosims! I wouldn't have known about that if not for your post. I will wait to apply my next Amex (either Hilton or other co-brand card) after we reach 2012 then.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: *A Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC, EC Elite, Starbucks Gold :D
I applied for the card sometime back. The CSR told me I was eligible only for 40k points. I went ahead. Then Amex tweeted about the 50k for $750.

I was done with $750 purchase and Amex credited 40k points. Called up the customer care today and asked if my card can be eligible for 50k points. They promptly agreed and told that the remaining 10k points will be credited in 72 hours.

I cant just stop loving American Express!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.