Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

bookingbuddy.com 18 US miles/$ (Deal no longer valid)

Old Feb 24, 11, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

http://usairways.skymall.com/mall/in...gBuddy?afsrc=1

I made a purchase about two and a half months ago, nothing posted and then followed up with a screen shot of purchase(it was $1000 tix thru bookingbuddy.com) and today I received 18 000 US miles.

Get it while its still there. : )
Old Feb 24, 11, 8:49 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
nice find! Thanks! Just to get this straight, i just use booking buddy to search for my flights, but since it's a 3 party site, it redirects me to expedia for example i can just book there and still get miles for DM? I'm assuming that expedia knows that I booked via a link from Booking Buddy?

off topic.. but what's in it for US air? I mean it's encouraging people to not book flights on their site directly. people might choose a competitor because it's cheaper etc.
Old Feb 24, 11, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aaron1262 View Post
nice find! Thanks! Just to get this straight, i just use booking buddy to search for my flights, but since it's a 3 party site, it redirects me to expedia for example i can just book there and still get miles for DM? I'm assuming that expedia knows that I booked via a link from Booking Buddy?

off topic.. but what's in it for US air? I mean it's encouraging people to not book flights on their site directly. people might choose a competitor because it's cheaper etc.
I bet this is like the stickers guys in Canada(140 miles/$ last year).
They want to have their service popularized so they bought a bunch of miles from US and they get publicity. I guess groupon is not good enough for them. : ) Don't also forget that they get at least 10% from ticket bought so they are break even at worst...

Last edited by libuser; Feb 24, 11 at 8:58 pm
Old Feb 24, 11, 11:58 pm

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
great find wish I knew about this the other day before booking tickets to FL. for next week
Old Feb 25, 11, 12:10 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Very nice find. I value my US miles at about 1.5 cents each, so this is like getting a 27% rebate on my purchase. For example, if I buy a $350 Delta ticket and a $150 hotel night ($500 total), I get $135 worth of USAirways Dividend Miles in return. Pretty nice bonus!

For those who don't value US miles as much, or don't have a desire/use for them, I noticed that Pennyful (my referral link embedded, thanks if you use it) is offering 20% cash back by ordering through their link. Appealing offer as well.

I have to imagine that both offers will go away soon, as they are essentially paying back all of the margin that BookingBuddy makes on the transaction. Worth using while it lasts, as the OP suggested.
Old Feb 25, 11, 12:56 am

Programs: OZ*G
Originally Posted by libuser View Post
I bet this is like the stickers guys in Canada(140 miles/$ last year).
They want to have their service popularized so they bought a bunch of miles from US and they get publicity. I guess groupon is not good enough for them. : ) Don't also forget that they get at least 10% from ticket bought so they are break even at worst...

I am very curious what this past promo was lilbuser. Care to elaborate?
Old Feb 25, 11, 2:03 am

Programs: AmexPlat,SPG,CitiAA,One pass,
would this work with name your own price? I need to book hotels for london and paris .. So curious HmMmmmm....
Old Feb 25, 11, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoto View Post
I am very curious what this past promo was lilbuser. Care to elaborate?
look it up in the US forum.
You were able to purchase stickers from a company in Canada for $140/$.
I got me 280 000 US miles for a little under $2k. : )
Old Feb 25, 11, 7:18 am

So you could potentially buy fully-refundable or fully-changeable airfare with this?
Old Feb 25, 11, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect that you could buy any ticket through this method. But if you refund the ticket, you probably will forfeit/refund the points also - that's typically how it works.
Old Feb 25, 11, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I suspect that you could buy any ticket through this method. But if you refund the ticket, you probably will forfeit/refund the points also - that's typically how it works.
yup
I have experienced that many times. If you refund the ticket the points will be promptly returned. Never have I been given points for free, despite multiple returns
Old Feb 25, 11, 8:51 am

I was thinking about essentially using them as credits down the road, and just paying now to get the 18 miles per dollar, while it lasts.
Old Feb 25, 11, 9:30 am

So I use bookingbuddy to buy an AA ticket for work from Priceline (not using the name your price option). The ticket is $450 and I use my Chase Ultimate Rewards debit card.

That gives me;

8100 USAir miles
5100 AA miles (2500 EQM and 2500 RDM) and 4 segments
360 UR points - or $3.60 cash back
Call BusinessExtraa 2 weeks after the completion of the trip and get 90 ExtrAA points.

Since I fly at least one trip a week, that can add up quickly.

Too good to be true but worth keeping on top of it while it lasts.
Old Feb 25, 11, 9:44 am

Thanks, OP.

I normally don't book our annual Christmas tickets to Frankfurt this early in the year, but this deal seemed too good to pass up.

$1884.20 gets us there, plus an extra 34K Dividend Miles!
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:06 am

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Not if ya spend 'em first

Search this Thread