Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

bookingbuddy.com 18 US miles/$ (Deal no longer valid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bookingbuddy.com 18 US miles/$ (Deal no longer valid)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by svasandani
If you have a Citi Thank You account you can buy tickets at roughly a 24-25% discount over what most airline / OTA sites charge for a given ticket. For me, at least, it is a better deal than 18 DM / $ on US Airways since I am not a frequent flyer. The trick is using their cash + points option and paying mostly with cash.

If you don't have a Thank You account and want to save some money, send me a PM.
I just tried a booking with cash and points but the ticket was not 25% cheaper. They just convert the points to 1 cent per point and take that off the price. How do you get 25% off?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:19 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
The possibilities are endless......

We have a cruise booked thru AMEX for June, 2012 on Silversea - cruising from St Petersburg to Copenhagen. Getting a $500 shipboard credit from AMEX, free dinner at a specialty restaurant and a $100 credit for specialty wine at the restaurant. Very nice.

BUT....

If I cancel and rebook thru the BookingBuddy portal, I imagine I get no benefits but I should get 315,000 US Air miles!!!!! I would certainly feel better if my miles for my Phoenix flights had posted but this is potentially amazing.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:09 am

The more I think about it -

this just makes no sense at all. I mean, none. Someone has to pay for these miles and it seems that no matter how little they can get them for, there is no economic model that makes any sense.

I mean, if I really did get 315,000 miles for a $9900 booking - that's two First Class tickets top Europe or Asia and 65-75,000 miles left over. Or three Business Class and less left over. That's worth more than the cruise!

My sense is that when it all hits the fan, this thread will get longer and longer
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by stevens397
The more I think about it -

this just makes no sense at all. I mean, none. Someone has to pay for these miles and it seems that no matter how little they can get them for, there is no economic model that makes any sense.
That's what I said when the expedia.ca $300 off promotion first came to light. I was like "no way this is going to be honored" but to my surprise, it was. Many people tried to spin it by saying Expedia would break even (money from tourism authorities, selling seats on empty flights, etc.)...all BS. I'm sure Expedia lost millions on that offer.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TAWS
That's what I said when the expedia.ca $300 off promotion first came to light. I was like "no way this is going to be honored" but to my surprise, it was. Many people tried to spin it by saying Expedia would break even (money from tourism authorities, selling seats on empty flights, etc.)...all BS. I'm sure Expedia lost millions on that offer.
its written in black in white... bookingbuddy earns 18 miles per $.
We all have screenshots and we are entitled to the 18 miles per $.

A lot of companies get those error offers honored and if not they will get a lot of bad PR, and believe me if they did not issue me 18k, I would have taken them to small claims and ultimately won because all the odds are in my favor.
Its your choice man...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:44 am

I just tried a booking with cash and points but the ticket was not 25% cheaper. They just convert the points to 1 cent per point and take that off the price. How do you get 25% off?
Not sure why your account is not showing the discount. When I pull price of any flight on TY travel center site the value in points is roughly 25% below expedia.com. e.g. a flight i recently booked was priced at $1653 on expedia and on continental.com but when priced through TY travel center it came out to 124300 points. Then when i went into payment options it showed 2 choices:

Points + Cash = 124300 points + $0 cash
Cash = $1653

Now I changed points down to only 1000 and the cash column went up to $1233. However, cash only row remained at $1653.

Bottomline, as long as some points are being used you get a 24% discounted price.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by svasandani
Not sure why your account is not showing the discount. When I pull price of any flight on TY travel center site the value in points is roughly 25% below expedia.com. e.g. a flight i recently booked was priced at $1653 on expedia and on continental.com but when priced through TY travel center it came out to 124300 points. Then when i went into payment options it showed 2 choices:

Points + Cash = 124300 points + $0 cash
Cash = $1653

Now I changed points down to only 1000 and the cash column went up to $1233. However, cash only row remained at $1653.

Bottomline, as long as some points are being used you get a 24% discounted price.
Hmm, maybe you need 1000 points minimum? I recently redeemed all my points for cash, so only have a few hundred left...maybe I don't have enough points.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:19 am

Hmm, maybe you need 1000 points minimum? I recently redeemed all my points for cash, so only have a few hundred left...maybe I don't have enough points.
I just now tried it with 100 points and it seems to work fine though I did not complete the purchase as I don't have a need to buy a ticket but the process is identical to the ticket I purchased so I don't see why it would not work.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

sigh...

would have loved to book $15K+ trip, but $12K component not bookable online

if status bonus counts, and you dont have status, buy trial ($600 for plat 75%)

ends today right?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:20 pm

Asking the obvious, what happens if you buy something like a fully refundable air ticket or hotel and then cancel with the OTA or the airline/hotel?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
I mean, if I really did get 315,000 miles for a $9900 booking - that's two First Class tickets top Europe or Asia and 65-75,000 miles left over. Or three Business Class and less left over. That's worth more than the cruise!
I think that's a bad comparison. A reasonable comparison would use the amount that US would have to pay the *A partners for those award tickets, not the retail value of those tickets.

US often sells miles for less than the retail value of the award tickets booked with those miles. For example, I bought 90,000 US miles from US in 2010 for about $.009/mile (just over $800). I could use those miles to book a biz class ticket to North Asia from the United States, although we know the retail value of that ticket is many multiples of $800.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 7:36 pm

Boy, do I hope you're right!

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I think that's a bad comparison. A reasonable comparison would use the amount that US would have to pay the *A partners for those award tickets, not the retail value of those tickets.

US often sells miles for less than the retail value of the award tickets booked with those miles. For example, I bought 90,000 US miles from US in 2010 for about $.009/mile (just over $800). I could use those miles to book a biz class ticket to North Asia from the United States, although we know the retail value of that ticket is many multiples of $800.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Asking the obvious, what happens if you buy something like a fully refundable air ticket or hotel and then cancel with the OTA or the airline/hotel?
Can anyone speak to this? If it works, it can essentially mean almost unlimited miles. But I assume BookingBuddy would receive some kind of notice that the flight was cancelled, even if done with the airline.

This is somewhat OT, but what if you did do this, managed to get your US miles quickly, then used all of them up in a booking before Booking Buddy could get a hold of you? I realize with something like Amex MR points, the credit card company could ding you for the points, but could an airline send you a bill for refunded miles?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:10 am

The US Air terms and conditions are very specific that points are forfeited when anything is returned.

*** Website said Elites get bonuses on these purchases - 75% for me as a Platinum. It still says the bonus expiration is 2/28/11. Anyone check in to seeing if this is extended?
Old Mar 1, 2011, 8:41 am

The US Air terms and conditions are very specific that points are forfeited when anything is returned.

*** Website said Elites get bonuses on these purchases - 75% for me as a Platinum. It still says the bonus expiration is 2/28/11. Anyone check in to seeing if this is extended?
I'm not talking about buying a refundable US ticket though. I'm talking about using Booking Buddy to buy a ticket on a completely different airline, getting the 180,000 miles or whatever, booking a reward on US, then canceling the other ticket that got you the miles in the first place. While I'm sure it would take a while to get back to US, could they go after you for those miles?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.