Search

[Consolidated] 1099s for miles & cash rewards from all banks

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 9:20 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, United Gold
Please delete

Last edited by Diotallevi; May 20, 2014 at 1:52 pm Reason: Please delete
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:58 am

Lots of Citi Talk but has ANYONE here ever received a 1099 for Chase Ultimate Rewards redemption as cash or otherwise?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:37 pm

anyone?
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hakujin
,,,ANYONE here ever received a 1099 for Chase Ultimate Rewards redemption as cash or otherwise?
Have you earned Ultimate Rewards points other than with a credit card?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Lots of Citi Talk but has ANYONE here ever received a 1099 for Chase Ultimate Rewards redemption as cash or otherwise?
It would have to be UR's from Banking. I don't have any contact with Chase except CC's. I've cashed out ~ 100K in UR's both for travel and GC's in 2012 and never got anything. I've also done the same with Citi with no 1099's. I beleive if you check back early in this thread the only Citi 1099's were from Banking turned into TYP's and maybe AA miles? mia is very knowledge able and you can trust what he says.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Sep 22, 2014 at 6:55 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
the only Citi 1099's were from Banking turned into TYP's and maybe AA miles?
Yep. TYPs originally earned from banking are taxable. TYPs earned from credit cards are not.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:21 am

Only UR from CC.

Thank you jjmiller69!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Only UR from CC.

Thank you jjmiller69!
You are welcome. You shouldn't have any problem. Enjoy the points I do.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
No bank wants to be the first one to issue a 1099-MISC for cc bonus miles, and the IRS does not appear at all interested in pressing the issue when it comes to first-purchase and minimum-spend cc bonuses.

The tax line separates banking bonuses (checking, CDs) from credit card bonuses.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
No bank wants to be the first one to issue a 1099-MISC for cc bonus miles, and the IRS does not appear at all interested in pressing the issue when it comes to first-purchase and minimum-spend cc bonuses.

The tax line separates banking bonuses (checking, CDs) from credit card bonuses.
Isn't the issue that miles on an bank account are deemed interest (income) hence a 1099. but for a credit card earning, it is really a rebate on the fees that the merchant(and indirectly, you) are paying, so there is no "income" per se. similarly, for fidelity, the miles are on an investment account, not a banking account, so could be seen as a rebate on the fees you will pay them, hence no 1099.

ialto
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by IaLTO
Isn't the issue that miles on an bank account are deemed interest (income) hence a 1099. but for a credit card earning, it is really a rebate on the fees that the merchant(and indirectly, you) are paying, so there is no "income" per se. similarly, for fidelity, the miles are on an investment account, not a banking account, so could be seen as a rebate on the fees you will pay them, hence no 1099.

ialto
Here is an old letter ruling (which I realize is not a law) that might be useful in whether your rebate rule analysis is valid for an investment account. I believe it came from the old days in which the AA program actually offered a mutual fund. That frequent flier program once had a lot of code share partners!

My experience with Fidelity is that their fees are indirect and are generally fully tax-deductible, unlike many investment advisors whose direct fees are limited on Schedule A due to the 2 percent of AGI rule, and limited by AMT. So any reduction in the basis of those Fidelity fees as a result of miles having a "value" would yield an unfavorable tax result.

It does not appear that Fidelity has ever issued a 1099 or provided information to investors instructing them that the awarded miles have a specific value that must reduce investment fees or reduce the tax basis of any assets purchased within the Fidelity account. It is not clear if the mutual fund in the letter ruling ever valued the miles in its correspondence with investors.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/9920031.pdf
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by IaLTO

ialto
Yes, I think that's the basic difference between miles earned via bank accounts vs. credit cards: interest on deposited money (taxable) vs. rebate for purchases (not taxable).
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
I apologize if this has already been asked, but how about an Alaska Airlines cc? Any 1099s from that?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
I apologize if this has already been asked, but how about an Alaska Airlines cc? Any 1099s from that?
I received points in 2014 from Alaska CC and still haven't received a 1099. So the answer is no (knock on wood).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Originally Posted by TMM1982
I received points in 2014 from Alaska CC and still haven't received a 1099. So the answer is no (knock on wood).
Great, thanks, TMM1982!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.