Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Citi Let's Me in From AA Cold- New 40K Bus AA MC !

Citi Let's Me in From AA Cold- New 40K Bus AA MC !

Old Jan 17, 11, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Thumbs up Citi Lets Me in From AA Anti-Churn Cold- 40K Bus AA MC + Companion Voucher

After getting rejected for the personal & business 100K offers in October, becoming totally convinced Citi had shunned me for good, I got a new Citi with a new 40K bonus ! (I did not get instant approval, they emailed approval 5 days later).

I got approved for the Citi Business Mastercard with 40K bonus confirmed. ^ There's also a free companion voucher on domestic fares over $299 (with $30 + $20 telephone booking fees).

I have had the personal AA MC for many years, got a Business Visa and Personal AmEx last May, got bonuses and cancelled in July, and got rejected for the 100K personal Visa and business Visa's in October as "prior AA card holder".

I had become so desperate I had begun applying for hotel reward cards and Barclays cards !

Evidently the MC is a different animal from the others for AA purposes, at least business. Some of the personal AA MC 40K links have become invalid so they may be phasing out. Even many of the banner ads for AA MC only link to the other AA cards now.

Here's the Business AA MC offer:

Business AA MC 40K

and here is the best personal AA MC 40K app I could find- have not tried it yet:

Personal AA MC 40K

Edit Just tried the personal link above and got approved today 1/5/12. I'm well within the churner ban time frame. Only $1K spend on this link verified thru csr !

Last edited by tassojunior; Jan 5, 12 at 12:38 pm
Old Jan 17, 11, 6:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Didn't you post almost the same exact thing in the AA Citi thread?
Old Jan 17, 11, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mlad1101 View Post
Didn't you post almost the same exact thing in the AA Citi thread?
That's the 75K AA Visa/Amex card thread. There's also a "Citibank-the jig is up" thread. This is about the newer 40K Mastercard offer, which may avoid some of the problems getting those.

If the mods think the 40K MC offer belongs under the 75K Visa/AmEx offer they know how to move this. IMHO it deserves a separate thread.
Old Jan 17, 11, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks for sharing. Maybe there is light at the end of the [email protected]:-)
Old Jan 18, 11, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think it's only because you are first time to Business MC.
Old Jan 18, 11, 11:32 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
I hope everyone can hop on the Personal MC deal if they got the Visa/Amex. I am gonna try it next month anyone who tries let us know!
Old Jan 19, 11, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cagalindo View Post
I hope everyone can hop on the Personal MC deal if they got the Visa/Amex. I am gonna try it next month anyone who tries let us know!
I tried for the AA personal MC last fall with the 75K offer, but was rejected because I have the personal Visa. Maybe I'll try again with this link. My supply of AA miles is pretty low right now.
Old Jan 19, 11, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Someone in another thread said that the difference may be that while personal accounts are only for 1st time AA cardholders, business account offers state they are for those who have not had nor applied for a business AA card in 90 days.

However when I was rejected for the business Visa in October as a prior cardholder I had not had a business card in over 90 days. When I was approved for the business MC last week it had been short of 90 days since the rejected business application. Also when I got a personal Citi AA AmEx last May I currently held the personal bronze AA MC.
Old Jan 19, 11, 5:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
thank you for posting this.
oh i wish that this had been live when the 100k visa and amex came out last fall...
is the consensus no dice for the 40k AA miles on personal if you hold a personal amex or visa, but if you have never had a the business mc, then there is a chance even if you have a buisness visa? this is now on the list. Anyone who tries and has had personal/biz cards before please post ur results!
Old Jan 19, 11, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k02sc02 View Post
thank you for posting this.
oh i wish that this had been live when the 100k visa and amex came out last fall...
is the consensus no dice for the 40k AA miles on personal if you hold a personal amex or visa, but if you have never had a the business mc, then there is a chance even if you have a buisness visa? this is now on the list. Anyone who tries and has had personal/biz cards before please post ur results!
I think the technical rule for biz cards is that if you hold one or have had one or got turned down for one in 90 days you can't get another. So far no one has gotten a 2nd biz card but no one has tried the biz MC for a 2nd. I did get it in less than 90 days from being rejected for the biz Visa as a prior cardholder. MC may be considered different.

On the personal side I'm hesitating about yet again applying for the 75K Visa I was rejected for in October. But if anyone else has success I may well try for the 40K AA personal MC hoping it is considered different and even tho I hold a very old bronze AA MC.
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:05 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
On this page, there is a list of Citi AA Credit Card offers (4 personal and 1 business):

https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-credit-cards/

The terms and conditions for the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® card for 40,000 AA miles and for the Citi Select® / AAdvantage® American Express® Card read:

"This offer is only valid for new accounts."

This is different language than what is in the terms and conditions for the 75K offers.

So, it is possible that these offers are available for those of us who already have Citi AA cards or who have been rejected recently for not being first time applicants.

The question is, what do they mean by "new accounts"?

And the Business Visa on that page (also for 40,000 miles) has no language about it being for new accounts nor about it being only for first-time applicants.
Old Jan 19, 11, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

The personal MC above is not on that page. It may be disappearing. The most recent incarnation is for 40K plus a $50 AA rebate, and no companion voucher.

The same business MC is tho and under it's T&C for bonus miles & companion voucher says:
This CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card offer is valid only for first-time CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® cardmembers
Which seems to be different than the understood biz rules of 90 days and I did get my biz MC on this same application even tho I had held a biz Visa recently, and have had several AA cards.

OTOH there's a Jan 17 post in the 75K thread that someone who got it in Oct. applied for the 40K personal MC and was turned down as prior cardholder.

Citi's "rules" and practice seem to be different a lot of time. Trial and error seems to be the only way to figure out the practice.

Last edited by tassojunior; Jan 19, 11 at 8:38 pm
Old Jan 20, 11, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by tassojunior View Post
Citi's "rules" and practice seem to be different a lot of time. Trial and error seems to be the only way to figure out the practice.
That's true. Only if I had unlimited number of inquiries!

Thanks for the post, by the way.
Old Jan 20, 11, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nydad View Post
That's true. Only if I had unlimited number of inquiries!

Thanks for the post, by the way.
Actually we have unlimited credit pulls- just do we really want to use them? I have more than my share already this past year. I did the biz MC in spite of being sure I'd get another rejection.

Now I'm teased to maybe try yet again, after my Oct. rejection, for the 75K Visa personal. I can only do 2 Citi apps in 60 days so if I get shot down again I'll have to wait 60 days to try for the personal MC.
Old Jan 20, 11, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior View Post
Now I'm teased to maybe try yet again, after my Oct. rejection, for the 75K Visa personal. I can only do 2 Citi apps in 60 days so if I get shot down again I'll have to wait 60 days to try for the personal MC.
Are you starting to think that it is a matter of length of time since last successful application? Like 8 months or so since being approved for your last personal card before you can get by the first time denial and be approved for another personal card?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: