Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Citi Let's Me in From AA Cold- New 40K Bus AA MC !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Let's Me in From AA Cold- New 40K Bus AA MC !

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by ddallas
Are you starting to think that it is a matter of length of time since last successful application? Like 8 months or so since being approved for your last personal card before you can get by the first time denial and be approved for another personal card?
We don't know yet if the personal 40 MC would get through for a prior reject. I don't think we know how long the period is for prior personal Visa/AmEx rejects- it could be indefinite. Eventually Citi, which is hard up for cc customers, will have to back down somewhat. They've already acknowledged this with the no fee companion AmEx/Visa offers for priors that give 20K bonus. The business and the MC 40K's seem eased up too.

Citi has AA miles to burn and is desperate for customers. All the potential customers with one or two priors who are getting rejected hurts them more than being rid of the hard core churners helps. They're not in a position like Chase with many bonus cards to go through. AA is most of their business. They have to find a way around the no priors rule or lose priors to other cc companies.

I'd expect 8 months to be a good remedy for the Visa/AmEx, but it could be 12. It's definitely longer than 6. And I still suspect those rules are tougher for the 75/100 apps.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tassojunior
Citi now has an AmEx/Visa specifically for people who already have the other and are barred from the big bonuses. Here's the link for the 20K offer but I hear there's also a 30K floating around.

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...6DCEF65647E863
This has expired, but the link still works. Anyone tried it recently?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
In from the cold, off the naughty list, apparently, approved today for 20k. Previously held a Full House, I believe, most recent rejection was 75k a few weeks ago... 6 months from previous app.
I wonder about the "full house" now. Within the past 3 months, my daughter applied for and received a Citi Visa (first card with Citi). Yesterday she received a new "updated" visa card along with an AMEX! They wanted to provide her with the "opportunity to use both cards". She's going to call and say no thanks and cancel the AMEX, but I don't like the looks of that!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:37 pm

So let me understand this. Citi is trying to filter off double dippers by issuing in advance a Visa-linked Amex card for anyone with existing Visa accounts. This way in the future they can get refused for "previous cardholder" pretense. I currently have the Amex but want to get the personal Visa. They seem to be combining cards for only current Visa holders right?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:51 pm

That is our case. I can't imagine any other reason for them sending a card uninvited. I haven't noticed any other talk about this - it just came yesterday.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 5:04 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by napilimom
I wonder about the "full house" now. Within the past 3 months, my daughter applied for and received a Citi Visa (first card with Citi). Yesterday she received a new "updated" visa card along with an AMEX! They wanted to provide her with the "opportunity to use both cards". She's going to call and say no thanks and cancel the AMEX, but I don't like the looks of that!
That's strange. I don't like the sound of it. Hopefully if it's never activated and calls to cancel, that will nip any issues in the bud. Personally I might follow up with a letter just to have some documentation.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 8:28 am

Visa linked Amex

My husband had the same thing happen this week. He currently has a Visa and no Amex. They sent him a new Visa and a "linked" Amex. It seems fishy to me. So he has not activated the cards.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Same thing to my dad - told him to refuse it.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:37 am

For anyone who gets these and keeps them, does the second card report on its own line on your credit report or are these two cards somehow using the same Citi account? I would think that since Visa, MC, and AMEX card networks all use different identifying numbers on their cards, these would have to be separate accounts and separate tradelines on a credit report.

If you got one of the cards, say a Visa, 2 months ago, and now you get an Amex in the mail, which is it's own separate account, then I guess how it affects you is if it counts as a new application and lengthens the time you would have to wait to get past the "first time only" filter. So instead of having to wait maybe 10 months from now (12 from last app) you would have to wait 12 months from now, receiving the new card. If it offers enough bonus points it might be worth keeping. But I don't know if anything I am guessing at is how it is with these new "extra card of the other flavor."

Would love to hear what happens when you keep the card from anyone who has.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lotz
MC Approved Today (Personal)

See my edit of 1st post.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 12:45 pm

will this be the triple browser trick era now?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by tassojunior
See my edit of 1st post.
When was your last personal card approval? Anything more recent than that May 2010 you mentioned?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertNC
will this be the triple browser trick era now?
I just tried that!

I got the Biz MC that the OP linked to, so I'll either get 30k or 40k depending on my spend.

I got the "app received" messages for the Hilton and an AA personal Visa that I don't think I've ever had.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
I just tried that!

I got the Biz MC that the OP linked to, so I'll either get 30k or 40k depending on my spend.

I got the "app received" messages for the Hilton and an AA personal Visa that I don't think I've ever had.
So you applied the Biz, and got instant approval.

You then applied both HHonor and AA personal Visa.

You got the "app received" on HHonor and an instant approval on AA Visa?

If that is the case, the denial would be on HHonor.

If both the HHonor and AA Visa got the "app received" - and the AA Visa app stopped at Step 3, then AA Visa is almost certain a denial. Can't guess what might turn out with HHonor as that card is a different animal - in the ancient past, HHonor has a separate hard pull from a different Citi entity. In fact, HHonor had to have its own userid - wouldn't show up with other Citi cards. I know until recently some folks still cannot have HHonor to use the same userid as their other Citi cards.

If you eventually got all 3, then it would be a FIRST that one can apply 3 Citi cards within 60 days.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"App Received" on both the personal AA Visa, and the HHonor.

I'd really like the HHonor since there's no annual fee and you get Silver HHonor for life, until they change the terms.

If I get the biz (seems done) and the Hilton, I'll be happy. Three would be amazing, agreed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.