Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Have Chase United card already..options for miles?

Old Jan 11, 11, 10:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have a United Mileage Plus credit card already and have had it for a few years. Is there some way I can churn this into another card to get some miles out of it? If so, how often can it be done? Any ideas?
Old Jan 12, 11, 5:35 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
AFAIK Chase isn't churnable. I have received offers to upgrade my UA card, I think it's the basic one which I also have had for many years, to whatever one it is that earns 5K RDM bonus/year (but also costs $30 more in annual fees). I guess you could upgrade to the RCC version.

How about applying for the Continental credit card? Those miles will eventually be UA miles, whatever the new UA miles program is called. If you apply for the CO Mileathon and apply next month, it will count towards Mileathon credits.
Old Jan 12, 11, 6:55 am

84fiero: I guess you have the platinum visa.
OP: you can definitely apply another kind of United Mileage Plus credit card and get the signup bonus. You can get the signup bonus miles/points of each kind of card for one time. Therefore it is not "churnable". Many FTers think it's better to have a six-month period between applications.
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Would upgrading get me the 30k mile bonus? Would it cause a hit on my credit score?

I'll look into the CO stuff. I'd like to do something that doesn't trigger a credit check. I'm real estate hunting right now.
Old Jan 12, 11, 10:49 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by new2japan View Post
Would upgrading get me the 30k mile bonus? Would it cause a hit on my credit score?

I'll look into the CO stuff. I'd like to do something that doesn't trigger a credit check. I'm real estate hunting right now.
Any credit card application will trigger a hard hit on your credit report.
Old Jan 12, 11, 1:50 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
An inquiry should only be at most a few points change in the score, not enough to matter unless your score is borderline. Frugal Travel Guy;s blog has a lot of good info on credit scores and such - sorry the firewall at work blocks any blog website or I'd find the link.
Old Jan 12, 11, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, CO Plat, UA 1P, FB Plat, Marriott PLT, PC Plat, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by new2japan View Post

Chase also seems to be more "selective" in their approvals. I applied for and received Hilton Amex, Delta Plat Amex, AA Cit Amex AA Citi Visa, but was shut out with Chase UA MP Signature Visa and CO OnePass cards. Even after I called to be reconsidered and was told I would be recommended for approval I was eventually denied.
Old Jan 13, 11, 12:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by clevername View Post
Chase also seems to be more "selective" in their approvals. I applied for and received Hilton Amex, Delta Plat Amex, AA Cit Amex AA Citi Visa, but was shut out with Chase UA MP Signature Visa and CO OnePass cards. Even after I called to be reconsidered and was told I would be recommended for approval I was eventually denied.
Same here. I have a very high credit score and the only bank I ever get rejections from is Chase. I was shocked when I got the BA card and even more surprised I got the Hyatt. The most interesting part is I do all my banking with them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: