Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Old Jan 10, 11, 1:14 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Are we biting the hand that feeds us? FWIW, I achieved 1MM lifetime AA miles in 18 months without breaking a sweat at virtually zero cost thanks to tips and encouragement from the OP.
Feeding you info that had already been posted both here and elsewhere.

Frequently incorrect info, probably after reading some old deal like buying Wally GCs that no longer works.
Old Jan 10, 11, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos View Post
I wish I had gotten in on some of the Citi 'deals' before they died
You should have been a member of FWF.
Old Jan 10, 11, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Except that Ingy is kind enough not to point out that is far from an original idea of the OP but has been in existence long before he discovered and exploited it to the extreme, thus potentially killing this for everyone.
Ingy did not need to point it out since I did in my first sentence.

"This is has been posted elsewhere, so I am just describing my experience."

For another view point see the View from a Wing blog comments:
"3.Phil said,

The moderator response on FT was spot on. Some people just think they own info. Once they are in the club, they dont want anyone else in, and that nobody else deserves to get in. Like others this particular one is not that appealing to me. Though I cant stand the bank in question so being banned from them for life would just make me laugh. But still there is absolutely no reason not to share the info. and it is still available in the thread anyway. thanks Gary for continuing to spread democracy. Maybe this group should go form their own little clan in North Korea"
Not everyone is going to agree with you, AND I DON'T EXPECT THEM TO.

And I never exploited it to the extreme (as you put it), only bought a few over an 8 week period just to see if it would work.

Maybe there should be another thread on "taking your money orders to the bank".

Last edited by mrpickles; Jan 10, 11 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 10, 11, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Just my 2 cents but I believe that FT is a place to share information. Not try and keep it to a very small circle of people. IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the posts that have (re)described getting miles by using WalMart.

Let's all get back to trying to help everyone - even if it means that some opportunity may get reduced / closed at some point in time. Key is that EVERYONE should use moderation in using any offer. It is the ABUSE that will get a deal killed.
Old Jan 10, 11, 9:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mrpickles View Post
or maybe there should be another thread on "taking your money orders to the bank".
Actually I am more inclined to hear the stories from those who got banned for life from that bank. The rumor has been going around but they haven't really spoken up about their personal experience. We all want to learn, so please share. We are all FTers.
Old Jan 10, 11, 10:01 pm

Programs: United: 1K
Originally Posted by deant View Post
Just my 2 cents but I believe that FT is a place to share information. Not try and keep it to a very small circle of people. IMHO there is absolutely nothing wrong with the posts that have (re)described getting miles by using WalMart.

Let's all get back to trying to help everyone - even if it means that some opportunity may get reduced / closed at some point in time. Key is that EVERYONE should use moderation in using any offer. It is the ABUSE that will get a deal killed.
Not only won't EVERYONE use moderation, MOST people won't use moderation. The people who use moderation with a deal that is fragile won't make as much money as the abusers who jump in with both feet. That alone encourages more abuse. The reality is there are 299 moochers for each contributor on FT.

I'm not interested in reducing my opportunities so a few moochers can kill a long-lived deal. Feel free to share some fresh deals YOU'VE dug up. In fact, find something that could make you $5000/mo for a long time and generously offer it up so it can be killed in one week here.

That would be very noble of you and very foolish.

But I suspect you are more interested in other people being foolish so you can make some token profit from their foolishness as opposed to investing your time in locating a profitable opportunity.

After all, there are still some gold nuggets hiding out there on public forums, quietly hidden from all but the few people who care to take the time to dig them out. The other 299 people are just waiting for a fool to dig up the gold and post it on the front page here.
Old Jan 11, 11, 12:53 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by buschoi View Post
Actually I am more inclined to hear the stories from those who got banned for life from that bank. The rumor has been going around but they haven't really spoken up about their personal experience. We all want to learn, so please share. We are all FTers.
I've shown my experience.
Old Jan 11, 11, 6:40 am

Programs: OnePass
This deal has been around long enough that I think it may have withstood some severe abuse already. Back in 2004 I looked at the opportunity and posted some discrete Flyertalk messages on the subject. Back then there were much more of these types of miles earning cards to choose from. As others have noted, the deal is a hassle and I only did it infrequently to top off accounts when I was close to an award. In the many years it's been around, I'm sure there has been much abuse by others.

But these particular types of miles earning cards are fast disappearing of their own accord, whether or not Ron Leiber writes about them. It seems they are not worthwhile money-makers for the banks. The trend is that either their earning power is diminished, they get discontinued, or fees are inflated. They are almost gone.

As for FWF, I'll second that. That forum has been much more profitable for me than FT

Last edited by anthonyanthony; Jan 11, 11 at 7:08 am
Old Jan 11, 11, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Miles earning cards are everywhere, I see 100 and 75K offers, in the old days it was only 5k and many times none.,

The game is you talk and advertise for them

The Bank Game hope you don't pay the bill, and get stuck with the fees

The Airline Game, hoep you don;t use them, hope you use them and like the service and later pay for it,,no flight is free..

It is all a game, but who is being played...

Your turn...we are in control...
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
This has been going on for many years, at least 6 or 7 that I know of. It used to make sense before the devaluation, but now its not appealing (to me at least). I believe it was MileageJunkie who had spread the word many years ago and at the time it was possible to get 6 miles per dollar. Many FTers (Thank You MJ) racked up millions of USAir/CO miles before the deval. Now its not that easy due to the math, still doable in small amounts. Good luck.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by psyflyer View Post
This has been going on for many years, at least 6 or 7 that I know of. It used to make sense before the devaluation, but now its not appealing (to me at least). I believe it was MileageJunkie who had spread the word many years ago and at the time it was possible to get 6 miles per dollar. Many FTers (Thank You MJ) racked up millions of USAir/CO miles before the deval. Now its not that easy due to the math, still doable in small amounts. Good luck.
6 mi/$? Out of curiosity, how?
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by abcx View Post
6 mi/$? Out of curiosity, how?
I'm pretty sure it was 1 mi/$ and has now been devalued to 1mi / 6$ on the card MileageJunkie was referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Jan 11, 11, 9:40 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
I've shown my experience.
Sorry I missed that. Went back and saw it now.

OK, I promise to not post until others are guilty of bumping up this thread.
Old Jan 11, 11, 3:03 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
I'm pretty sure it was 1 mi/$ and has now been devalued to 1mi / 6$ on the card MileageJunkie was referring to. Correct me if I'm wrong.
iirc, it was with CO and it was 6 miles/$1, but I can't find it now.
Old Jan 11, 11, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi View Post
OK, I promise to not post until others are guilty of bumping up this thread.
You won't have to wait long.

Search this Thread