Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Old Jan 6, 11, 9:58 pm

Programs: United: 1K
What's particularly appalling is what the OP thought about money orders and money laundering laws (he's deleted his posts since). He wouldn't know if a SAR was filed but one criteria for filing a SAR specifically has to do with large purchases of money orders:

When transactions are identified from a review of records of money orders or travelers checks that have been sold or processed, an issuer of money orders of traveler's checks shall be required to report a transaction or a pattern of transactions that involves or aggregates funds or other assets of at least $5000.

Now there is nothing particularly ominous about having a Suspicious Activity Report filed with the federal government but if you think you are flying under the radar buying lots of money orders from Walmart you are mistaken.
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:39 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Nice edit Mr. P!
Bowing to your FT powers of finding new deals. I appreciate the info from you and all the others, and ignore the naysayers.
JudyJFLA
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA View Post
Nice edit Mr. P!
Bowing to your FT powers of finding new deals. I appreciate the info from you and all the others, and ignore the naysayers.
JudyJFLA
^
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:08 am

I love how members with referrals in their siggys bump these threads with no useful information.
Old Jan 8, 11, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
I love how members with referrals in their siggys bump these threads with no useful information.
I don't know what you mean???????
Old Jan 8, 11, 7:56 am

Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
And how certain members think they have the right to keep everything to themselves and share nothing with the group...

Thanks Mr P for sharing this, even though it is not one I will take up (it would take more than miles to get me to go into WalMart on a daily basis!!!). And thanks whoever quoted it so it remains memorialized for those who will find it useful. If I recall rightly, the purpose of this forum is to share ideas on how to maximize miles. The mint, Citi churning, expedia screw ups... we've all enjoyed them. Too bad some folks would rather keep it all for themselves
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh View Post
And how certain members think they have the right to keep everything to themselves and share nothing with the group...

Thanks Mr P for sharing this, even though it is not one I will take up (it would take more than miles to get me to go into WalMart on a daily basis!!!). And thanks whoever quoted it so it remains memorialized for those who will find it useful. If I recall rightly, the purpose of this forum is to share ideas on how to maximize miles. The mint, Citi churning, expedia screw ups... we've all enjoyed them. Too bad some folks would rather keep it all for themselves
And the reason they do that is because once posted on FT, the hordes roll-in, abuse the edge that's been uncovered and kill the deal. For proof, go over and look at the AA 75,000 mile thread, filled with posts by newbies, whacking away.
Old Jan 8, 11, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
And the reason they do that is because once posted on FT, the hordes roll-in, abuse the edge that's been uncovered and kill the deal. For proof, go over and look at the AA 75,000 mile thread, filled with posts by newbies, whacking away.
It seem to me that Mountain Trader's "proof" is more of an example that public discussion has not killed the deal.

Continuing discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-up-bonus.html has revealed that the original offers have so far remained available after their official expiration date, and have been refreshed with new variants almost as good as the offers which were supposed to have expired. That thread continues to collect information which many readers might not to have thought to test, such as that the expired sign up links are still being honored for the moment (which takes a hard credit inquiry to test) or that Citi is now often requiring people who apply for the business card to provide documents that mention their business by name.
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:00 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by skynerd View Post
It seem to me that Mountain Trader's "proof" is more of an example that public discussion has not killed the deal.

Continuing discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-up-bonus.html has revealed that the original offers have so far remained available after their official expiration date, and have been refreshed with new variants almost as good as the offers which were supposed to have expired. That thread continues to collect information which many readers might not to have thought to test, such as that the expired sign up links are still being honored for the moment (which takes a hard credit inquiry to test) or that Citi is now often requiring people who apply for the business card to provide documents that mention their business by name.
Different bank and has no relevance to the topic at hand. Why is everyone continuing to bump up the thread?
Old Jan 8, 11, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
30 plus years ago I read an article in the WSJ, a lady owned a flower shop and ran it on her CC use the miles to visit her daugher in Hawaii,

I was doing the same thing, remodling houses, and running a retail business, with CC floating the money...and grabbing the miles...

Today pretty much the same thing running arentals, remodling, churning CC, and a few other things, will it last?

As long as Airlines and Banks are Goverment subsidized it will be there.. profit is not in their name...bonuses and perks for politicians to ride,....so enjoy....
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I thought FT was a place to share information on ways to get miles. I am sure that Airportbuster is really feeling welcome right now.
Old Jan 10, 11, 12:43 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are we biting the hand that feeds us? FWIW, I achieved 1MM lifetime AA miles in 18 months without breaking a sweat at virtually zero cost thanks to tips and encouragement from the OP.
Old Jan 10, 11, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LLM View Post
Are we biting the hand that feeds us? FWIW, I achieved 1MM lifetime AA miles in 18 months without breaking a sweat at virtually zero cost thanks to tips and encouragement from the OP.
Not so.

This thing is a lot more sensitive than the previous stuff and involves a high degree of risk. You may want to read Ingy's latest take on this, particularly the last paragraph he wrote:

http://frugaltravelguy.blogspot.com/

Scroll down you will find the blog dated January 8, titled:

Saturday, January 8, 2011
MrPickles Strikes Again and Win's Take on the New SW Program

And the interesting last paragraphs:

The point of my posting this much of the deal is this: "GREED and Publicity do kill deals."

Collecting miles can be addicting and sometimes we cross that line into doing crazy, stupid, GREEDY things.

And as far as publicity is concerned, this one is well enough left alone for the followers of MrPickles on Twitter. He is a very creative guy -- sometimes too creative for our own collective good.

I am sure Ingy is a well-respected member in the miles seeking community and has helped countless people in the past. His and pgary's comments are worth noting. Except that Ingy is kind enough not to point out that is far from an original idea of the OP but has been in existence long before he discovered and exploited it to the extreme, thus potentially killing this for everyone. Hence the last statement Ingy wrote that I bolded in Red.

pgary's post no.27 on this thread can be read here if the Mod does not delete it!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15599031-post27.html

Last edited by Happy; Jan 10, 11 at 1:18 pm
Old Jan 10, 11, 1:05 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by LLM View Post
^^

I wish I had gotten in on some of the Citi 'deals' before they died
Old Jan 10, 11, 1:14 pm

Dont be fooled by a members appearance to be creative when it is actually information provided by someone else.

Search this Thread