Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Buy Money Orders from Walmart w/ USAirways ATM Card

Old Jan 6, 11, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by QL_714 View Post
Like Chase, BOA does not take kindly to this. If it does happen expect all accounts to be closed. Checking, savings and all CC accounts.
I'm assuming you are saying that to keep new people from doing it because there are numerous people doing this who have not been shut down.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Any other cards that earn on pin-based transactions? Are these miles posting at the end of each month?
You may want to check my posting of Sept. 2, 2010, "40+ debit rewards cards, including 11+ that earn on some PIN purchases": http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14589538-post24.html and the thread containing it.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:31 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I'm assuming you are saying that to keep new people from doing it because there are numerous people doing this who have not been shut down.
Well best of luck to you then. My experience was what QL714 has noted. I am a premier banking customer with fairly hefty average balance (which I'm sure is well over the national average), business checking, business line of credit, and mortgage (jumbo) with BOA. Although my business LOC and mortgage are fine, both of my checking accounts got frozen after running about 30k over 3 months the on the alaska debit card. With my personal banker's help I've been able to get my business checking back up, but I'm worried my personal might not be able to be saved. I'm fighting to get it back, but I might not be able to.

Thinking back, the hassle is not worth the 17,500 miles I got. However if it's worth the risk to you, I wish you the best of luck.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:41 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by Gambleballs View Post
seems like an IRS audit waiting to happen.
My bet is the black suv's surrounding the house will be Homeland Security.

Why not the Chase premium CO debit card?

Last edited by tassojunior; Jan 6, 11 at 12:56 am
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
Well best of luck to you then. My experience was what QL714 has noted. I am a premier banking customer with fairly hefty average balance (which I'm sure is well over the national average), business checking, business line of credit, and mortgage (jumbo) with BOA. Although my business LOC and mortgage are fine, both of my checking accounts got frozen after running about 30k over 3 months the on the alaska debit card. With my personal banker's help I've been able to get my business checking back up, but I'm worried my personal might not be able to be saved. I'm fighting to get it back, but I might not be able to.

Thinking back, the hassle is not worth the 17,500 miles I got. However if it's worth the risk to you, I wish you the best of luck.
I in no way doubt that people have been shut down. People can get their bank accounts shut down for things like bringing in too many coins. I just chuckle when I hear "fact" thrown around like someone works for the company.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:56 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
I in no way doubt that people have been shut down. People can get their bank accounts shut down for things like bringing in too many coins. I just chuckle when I hear "fact" thrown around like someone works for the company.
I'm just putting my experience out there so that people who are thinking of doing the same thing know that they're getting themselves into. It's a risky endeavor and no offense intended, but from reading your posts it seems like you're encouraging people to look at the reward without regard to the dangers.
Old Jan 6, 11, 12:58 am

Proposed Auto-Post

Maybe we can get the FT software revised so that post #2 in every thread will automatically be "You will be audited by the IRS for this" so that in the future nobody will have to post that manually.

Originally Posted by Gambleballs View Post
seems like an IRS audit waiting to happen.
Old Jan 6, 11, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by party_boy View Post
I'm just putting my experience out there so that people who are thinking of doing the same thing know that they're getting themselves into. It's a risky endeavor and no offense intended, but from reading your posts it seems like you're encouraging people to look at the reward without regard to the dangers.
I think it's good that you are letting people know what can happen and found your post helpful.
Old Jan 6, 11, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by xp0 View Post
I was just giving what seemed like a theoretical max. I would not waste my time doing what I described nor do I have a walmart near me. 100k mile/80k mile cap though is pretty easy to obtain over the course of a year though.
I dont know about pretty easy. Any transaction over 3k requires Wallly World to fill out a SAR report using your DL or ID to document. So you would need atleast 30 trips to Wally World.
Old Jan 6, 11, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I'm out. Suntrust Delta does not give miles for pin based transactions, only sig based

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 6, 11, 10:30 am

This money order deal not worth my time and effort, just like the coin deal.
Anything that requires physical travel to either purchase or deposit something is too much of a hassle for me.
Old Jan 6, 11, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Ken in Phx View Post
This thread wont go away because the self promoters who start these threads are too self involved to approach it any other way.
Previously when this topic showed up on FT, all references to the deal were deleted when I requested that posters do this, after I explained the following:

This is an ultra sensitive error on the part of the bank. As soon as some reporter like Ron Lieber of the New York Times (formerly of the Wall Street Journal) reads your post, he will check with B of A and then write about it. This will cause B of A to fix the error, ruining it for all of us. Ron has ruined other good deals before, just so he can get his "scoop". He does read these forums.

mrpiclkles has kindly deleted his original post. I suggest that everyone posting to this thread edit your comments to "deleted". Else, this deal will probably be long gone in a month or two. I will edit this comment when I see reference to the deal has disappeared. I now await response from airportbuster for his post 52, which quotes mrpickles.

As you probably know, I spend a great deal of time sharing good miles deals with my readers and flyertalkers. But every once in a while posting the deal will kill it, which does no one any good. This is one of those times.

Last edited by pgary; Jan 7, 11 at 12:41 pm
Old Jan 6, 11, 3:50 pm

Last edited by airportbuster; Jan 11, 11 at 5:38 am
Old Jan 6, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
It looks from the bank site that there is a choice of USAir and AlaskaAir. Would there be more partner flexibility with Alaska?
Going from Miami to Barrow would be a pretty cool reward for $30 in MO fees + Tax!!

JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Jan 6, 11 at 9:28 pm
Old Jan 6, 11, 9:34 pm

It just seems like an awful lot of trouble.

Search this Thread