Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Schmoozing the company travel manager

Schmoozing the company travel manager

Old Jan 3, 11, 3:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DEN, SCL
Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 1,885
Schmoozing the company travel manager

How do you convince your travel manager that your preferred airline really is an option, even when it's more expensive?

Have you ever found an argument besides cost that works to get you out of flying an airline where you have no miles/status and onto the one where you do?

The only possible one I can think of is risk: arguing that a cheaper itinerary with connections or a short connection (work-flight, flight-flight, flight-required activity you're traveling for) is riskier than a "better" itinerary on your preferred airline that would reduce the risk based on direct/non-stop flights or better connection times.

Any other ideas or experiences that have worked to sway your work travel toward your miles bank?

(Mods: if this is the wrong forum, please move; since it's kind of about earning miles I thought MilesBuzz! might be the place...)

Last edited by zpaul; Jan 3, 11 at 4:05 pm
zpaul is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 3:44 pm
  #2  
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: dallas texas usa
Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Posts: 14,828
offer to pay the difference!....take it out of your pretax gross pay....good luck...
clacko is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 3:51 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AAdvantage Plt, Hyatt Plt, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold.
Posts: 69
I've used schedule timing on the few occasions that's come up. In my case AA had more frequent flights to/from so I was able to either make it a day trip or take a red eye home and save a night in a hotel.
system error is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:04 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DEN, SCL
Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 1,885
Originally Posted by clacko View Post
offer to pay the difference!....take it out of your pretax gross pay....good luck...
I've done that for class of service - company paid Y, and with the IATAN card J was 25% of the published fare. Not too bad a deal. Still do it without the card when it makes sense.

I'm not actually in the situation right now - where I'm working 80% of the options are in my mileage program favor, but it was a question that popped into my head this afternoon and I wanted to see if there were any "a-ha" experiences out there!
zpaul is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:59 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Posts: 1,686
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I've done that for class of service - company paid Y, and with the IATAN card J was 25% of the published fare. Not too bad a deal. Still do it without the card when it makes sense.

I'm not actually in the situation right now - where I'm working 80% of the options are in my mileage program favor, but it was a question that popped into my head this afternoon and I wanted to see if there were any "a-ha" experiences out there!
What is IATAN card?
1k650 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 5:09 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: CLT
Posts: 7,249
Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
What is IATAN card?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Agents_Network
gj83 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 11, 6:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Illinois
Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
Posts: 405
As a former company travel manager, I found it was best to align my frequent flyers with their preferred airlines to accumulate miles. Actually it was thank to FlyerTalk that I did this .

I set a policy for a certain amount of $ per flight depending on distance and if it was grossly over that amount on occasion I asked for approval from the Executive Director.

For employees that traveled extensively I felt this policy was the least we could do for our road warriors. By attaining status it allowed comfort and benefits which is a small price to pay IMHO for being away so much. I also set policy for one connection, unless the flyer requested more for a mileage.

Maybe you could set out the pros/cons for using your preferred airline. Offering to pay a portion of the difference might help as stated.

Good luck!
gdeluca is offline  
Old Jan 4, 11, 3:50 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DEN, SCL
Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Posts: 1,885
Originally Posted by gdeluca View Post
As a former company travel manager, I found it was best to align my frequent flyers with their preferred airlines to accumulate miles. Actually it was thank to FlyerTalk that I did this .

I set a policy for a certain amount of $ per flight depending on distance and if it was grossly over that amount on occasion I asked for approval from the Executive Director.

For employees that traveled extensively I felt this policy was the least we could do for our road warriors. By attaining status it allowed comfort and benefits which is a small price to pay IMHO for being away so much. I also set policy for one connection, unless the flyer requested more for a mileage.

Maybe you could set out the pros/cons for using your preferred airline. Offering to pay a portion of the difference might help as stated.

Good luck!
This is very similar to the policy my Tour Operator had - they knew how much a ticket should be, and gave us a range. Being a travel company I think they, too, understood that the mileage and status gained by work travel was a bit of extra "feel good" compensation (though I know there is real monetary value to the miles). Now that I work for a consulting company (read: bean counters) it's not quite the same!

Thanks for the post!
zpaul is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: