Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Schmoozing the company travel manager

Old Jan 3, 11, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K

How do you convince your travel manager that your preferred airline really is an option, even when it's more expensive?

Have you ever found an argument besides cost that works to get you out of flying an airline where you have no miles/status and onto the one where you do?

The only possible one I can think of is risk: arguing that a cheaper itinerary with connections or a short connection (work-flight, flight-flight, flight-required activity you're traveling for) is riskier than a "better" itinerary on your preferred airline that would reduce the risk based on direct/non-stop flights or better connection times.

Any other ideas or experiences that have worked to sway your work travel toward your miles bank?

(Mods: if this is the wrong forum, please move; since it's kind of about earning miles I thought MilesBuzz! might be the place...)

Last edited by zpaul; Jan 3, 11 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 3, 11, 3:44 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
offer to pay the difference!....take it out of your pretax gross pay....good luck...
Old Jan 3, 11, 3:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plt, Hyatt Plt, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold.
I've used schedule timing on the few occasions that's come up. In my case AA had more frequent flights to/from so I was able to either make it a day trip or take a red eye home and save a night in a hotel.
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clacko View Post
offer to pay the difference!....take it out of your pretax gross pay....good luck...
I've done that for class of service - company paid Y, and with the IATAN card J was 25% of the published fare. Not too bad a deal. Still do it without the card when it makes sense.

I'm not actually in the situation right now - where I'm working 80% of the options are in my mileage program favor, but it was a question that popped into my head this afternoon and I wanted to see if there were any "a-ha" experiences out there!
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I've done that for class of service - company paid Y, and with the IATAN card J was 25% of the published fare. Not too bad a deal. Still do it without the card when it makes sense.

I'm not actually in the situation right now - where I'm working 80% of the options are in my mileage program favor, but it was a question that popped into my head this afternoon and I wanted to see if there were any "a-ha" experiences out there!
What is IATAN card?
Old Jan 3, 11, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1k650 View Post
What is IATAN card?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...Agents_Network
Old Jan 3, 11, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD, HH, TSA Disparager Gold
As a former company travel manager, I found it was best to align my frequent flyers with their preferred airlines to accumulate miles. Actually it was thank to FlyerTalk that I did this .

I set a policy for a certain amount of $ per flight depending on distance and if it was grossly over that amount on occasion I asked for approval from the Executive Director.

For employees that traveled extensively I felt this policy was the least we could do for our road warriors. By attaining status it allowed comfort and benefits which is a small price to pay IMHO for being away so much. I also set policy for one connection, unless the flyer requested more for a mileage.

Maybe you could set out the pros/cons for using your preferred airline. Offering to pay a portion of the difference might help as stated.

Good luck!
Old Jan 4, 11, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gdeluca View Post
As a former company travel manager, I found it was best to align my frequent flyers with their preferred airlines to accumulate miles. Actually it was thank to FlyerTalk that I did this .

I set a policy for a certain amount of $ per flight depending on distance and if it was grossly over that amount on occasion I asked for approval from the Executive Director.

For employees that traveled extensively I felt this policy was the least we could do for our road warriors. By attaining status it allowed comfort and benefits which is a small price to pay IMHO for being away so much. I also set policy for one connection, unless the flyer requested more for a mileage.

Maybe you could set out the pros/cons for using your preferred airline. Offering to pay a portion of the difference might help as stated.

Good luck!
This is very similar to the policy my Tour Operator had - they knew how much a ticket should be, and gave us a range. Being a travel company I think they, too, understood that the mileage and status gained by work travel was a bit of extra "feel good" compensation (though I know there is real monetary value to the miles). Now that I work for a consulting company (read: bean counters) it's not quite the same!

Thanks for the post!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: