Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Taking your coins to the bank -- what's your story?

Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Onepass, M+, BoA 2%,AAdvantage, $ Coins Anonymous
Originally Posted by JAAbercrombie
How about a different costume every week?

Week 1 - Pirate
Week 2 - Unabomber
Week 3 - Trenchcoat, hat and dark sunglasses
Week 4 - Hooded sweatshirt and dark sunglasses

Just makes it more interesting.

YOU FORGOT LEPRACHAUN!!! oh eee ho! Me Gold me Gold!

... at least thats the way i feel on my way to the bank with the sack of gold...
Kudos to pirate.... I think magician also might be able to take a run at the costume prize...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 2:54 pm

I alternate Wachovia (or Wells Fargo or whatever the hell their name is now) and PNC. No problem with the truth. Both take the rolls. No coin counter nonesense.

Novel place to move coins in DC is Metro. Their farecard machines give dollar coins change, so turnabout is fair play.

In general I only spend coins in places I can't use a rewards CC: farmers' market, garage sale, office collection, splitting a tab at lunch. Using coin where I could use a CC is wasted effort.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:27 pm

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by scubadiver
Using coin where I could use a CC is wasted effort.
I love to dump a pile on the companies that "claim" not to accept credit cards or want to charge a fee to swipe a card. Last time was to a lady who wanted a 3% add on fee to accept an amex. I then just went to my car and pulled out about 300 in coins. I made a huge show to count the coins in front of her...(and breaking open the rolls in the process)
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I have always told them the truth. One gal understood it and I ended up giving her some websites, such as FT, to do her own research. Most of the time I get a nice smile with a blank stare as response.

My bank, Washington Trust, is awesome about accepting the coins. I have never been given any grief.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 2:47 pm

The very first time I bought coins was back in late 2009 when I went all out and bought $15,000 all at once. That was a trip! I actually wrote a whole story out because it's kind of fun:

http://tylertervooren.com/advancedri...-bought-15000/

Now that the mint limits transactions to $1,000, I just rotate $1,000 deposits between the 3 chase branches near me and all seems to go fine, although the tellers *always* want to know where they came from, so I'm glad I saw this thread. Gave me a few new ideas! I just say I'm a collector. I'm surprised no one's asked me why the coins are never unrolled. I guess they don't actually care that much.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I get my coins delivered to a po box. For me this is the best! I did not like getting them at home. I work for myself and can be there often but it's still harder. With the PO you can control when you go in. They like me in my local post office and I have even bought the clerks a box or two of chocolates. They have loaned me a cart when needed, let me borrow it for lengths of time, and even set a spot in the corner for my boxes that's always my spot. I'm really grateful for the service I have gotten there.

I have 7 bank accounts. In my area are roughly 30 branches of these combined within an 8 mile radius but there are one or two branches of banks that will not accept coins.

The most I bring in one now is no greater than $2,500 and I rip open the box, tear off the address label and take out the brown paper stuffing. I stack in the small boxes and frankly that's about all I could carry in anyway.

I always get looks when I walk up with the box, fill in a deposit slip and then see the teller. I always pop open the small boxes and tell them they should use those to store them but most banks still insist on bags or some plastic trays that do not work.

Some banks will take my empty boxes to throw away. Sometimes I take it back to my car.

Some people ask where I get them. I make up a story about how I do auctions and this is how they pay me if my buy in money needs to be refunded because I didn't get the bid. I never tell about miles.

The only time I did was at the branch of bofa that would not longer take my coins. They had said the truck that takes everything from their vault wanted to charge a fee to the bank, who would in turn have to pass it on to me. Get this: They said the truck guy said, "I think the person giving these to this branch is trying to run a business. If so, they should have to pay something for it" I told that branch manager all I was getting was miles and she said, "Well, you are getting free miles so now it's time for you to maybe make a payment in life for this! You gotta pay sometime!" I immediately stopped bringing them there. I never got a fee for that last time in but that told me to end my coinisms with them. Other bofa's I go to have no prob with coins.

My minor problem has been how to get rid of all the cardboard that ends up in the hatchback of my car. I could leave the boxes by my home recycle bin but that's every other Wed so it's a bit of a pain and an eyesore. There are no easy to sneak things into any dumpsters near me but I recently found out my local town hall has one in the back that is free to all town residents for such things. I will go there next time I have a lot of boxes. They could be thrown in un-crushed.

I found out about this when I went into town hall to pay my property taxes for the 3rd Q... in coins. This was fun. They let me but you could darn well tell they didn't like it. Ima doing it again hehehehe

I do not like coin counter machines. I do not have the time to sit in my living room and open coins to pour into bags for a bank run in the morning and frankly, the act of trying to crack the rolls open and pour them into machines that jam, fill up too quickly, or have lines of other people wanting to use it is too much effort.

I have no problem carrying around or driving around doing errands with like $10k coins in my car on any given day. However, one day I had to move cash from one bank to another so I withdrew $10k in green money and lemme tell ya, it was somehow scarier to stuff that in my pocket and drive away with it than it would be to leave my car unlocked with boxes in it while pumping gas and have to pay inside because the swiper is broken or something. Weird how money is.

I have used coins to pay for kids rides, farmers markets, my gym's personal trainer, and anything that does not take a CC. Except of course day care. We write them checks. I think they'd kill us if we tried to pay that in coins every month hahaha.

Someday I would love to drive to the address of a credit card co billing center and pay my CC IN coins. lol

MM
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:38 pm

Programs: No preference
My most recent excuse was to meet a spending requirement before the year ends, guess i'll have to come up with a new one ... maybe even the truth.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:00 pm

My bank liked them at first, but now they make me write my name and account number on each roll.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Mine is simple.

I say that I own a vending machine business and I accumulate them. Unfortunately, none of my banks will take the coins in rolls. It has to go loose through the counter. Only once did I have a problem, it came as $998, instead of $1000. No biggie, however, the fact that my banks will not take them in rolls has stopped me from doing this. It is not worth it for me to open at home, carry them, and wait for the coin counter. Believe me, I've looked at other nearby branches and it is the same story, so I gave up.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Originally Posted by Skink
My bank liked them at first, but now they make me write my name and account number on each roll.
It seems to me many banks are catching on....they don't have a direct way/rule/regulation allowing them to just stop taking the coins...so each branch imposes some asinine way they will accept the coins.

I brought coins in rolls...then shortly they said "they have to be loose". The I brought in loose and they said it was "too much coin" and couldn't take them anymore. Reading the stories, it seems to be more and more common. Milk it while it lasts.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by dgoedken
It seems to me many banks are catching on....they don't have a direct way/rule/regulation allowing them to just stop taking the coins...so each branch imposes some asinine way they will accept the coins.

I brought coins in rolls...then shortly they said "they have to be loose". The I brought in loose and they said it was "too much coin" and couldn't take them anymore. Reading the stories, it seems to be more and more common. Milk it while it lasts.
I hope that isn't where you do your regular banking. The only thing they need on paper is that they can charge you for the deposits. They can flat out tell you no more coins or that they are shutting down your account.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
One of the banks I go to use to order from the mint, some cutomers wanted them, now they have another supplier...

I also have rentals, so some of my tenants pay me in dollar coins...good for once a month...
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I always tell the truth about where I bought them...the why can vary depending on how the teller is acting/why I think they're asking me. Tellers that I have had a longer relationship with know the truth, but the other day I just got a bad vibe so mentioned that I purchased them as a collector's item/investment, but after further research, it didn't appear to be lucrative.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Do not use the term collector.

After all, if you are a TRUE collector you will not deposit them and loose your collection.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 7:30 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by arollins
After all, if you are a TRUE collector you will not deposit them and loose your collection.
I gave up collecting after I realized they were still worth $1...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.