Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Reliant or Energy Plus AA and UA offers (CT, MD, NJ, NY, PA and TX) [Consolidated]

Old Sep 25, 11, 5:10 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Posts: 674
Wow....I figured their scheme would be to raise rates from month two onward but I thought the most they would go up would be something like 10-20%. With low-usage months (Sept-Nov) coming up (mid-Atlantic region) I thought it would be worth it. Now reading these stories I'm a bit worried what I'm going to end up spending, even though it is low-usage season. My plan the whole time has been to cancel once the sign-up points post. Can anyone confirm when exactly the sign-up bonus miles/points posted for them?
meecal is offline  
Old Sep 26, 11, 10:10 pm
  #32  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT USA
Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Posts: 4,077
Energy Plus is a pure bait-and-switch operation. Beware.

Their executives are the former First USA credit card management team. Their true business is customer acquisition - not providing power. The prices they will charge you will increase significantly from the initial rates that they show.

My detailed experience with them is found here: http://www.sitinfirst.com/2011/03/be...ur-power-bill/
NYBanker is offline  
Old Sep 27, 11, 7:13 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 338
Thanks to everyone who gave warning about this company. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.
fr33b13 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 8:36 am
  #34  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,816
Just got an offer for: "Earn Up To 15,000 AAdvantage® Miles" as follows:

" Earn 12,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after two months of electric service*
Earn an additional 2,500 AAdvantage bonus miles after two months of natural gas service*
Year-round unlimited miles — earn 2 AAdvantage miles for every $1 you spend on the supply portion of your bills*
Month-to-month variable rate plan where you are not locked in to a long-term commitment**"
JFKSFOLAX_friend is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 8:53 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: By the landing strip.
Programs: UA, DL, AA, SPG
Posts: 1,610
So I switched to Energy Plus and got my miles -- and noticed my bill going up significantly.

If I switch back will I lose the miles?
crimson12 is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 2:41 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SEA
Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 351
12,500 AAdvantage miles for Energy Plus signup

Just saw the following promotion via email to my gf's account.

Choose Energy Plus® to supply electricity to your home or business and enjoy the following:
  • Earn 12,500 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after two months as an Energy Plus customer*
  • Year-round unlimited miles — earn 2 AAdvantage miles for every $1 you spend on the supply portion of your electric bill*
  • Save up to 10% with a variable supply rate that is up to 10% below your local utility company for new customers**
  • No fees and no long-term commitment required
  • The option to go green and support 100% wind power
  • Switching to Energy Plus is easy, plus you'll receive the same reliable service from your existing utility company.

Bolding mine. Seems to be targeted, as I see nothing on the standard offer page that indicates this mileage offer, and I haven't seen any posts on this so far either. No email for me since I already signed up two months ago.

This beats their standard offer of 5,000 by a longshot. The next best offer I've seen is the 7,500 mile offer from the end of last year.

Edit: Oops, looks like its already been mentioned at the tail end of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ergy-plus.html
y2chen is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 7:00 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 787
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,285
Bummer. I switched to them 2 weeks ago
ThePointsCollector is offline  
Old Sep 29, 11, 8:20 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Oak Park, IL
Posts: 989
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian View Post
Bummer. I switched to them 2 weeks ago
Yeah, me too. I switched in hopes of getting the extra miles before 12/1.

Deb
DebBrown is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 1:37 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 6
I switched too, will get a 10,000 mile bonus after my second month. As soon as I get my miles, I am out of there and switching to a contract plan. Here in Texas, Reliant is offering a fairly sweet AA mile program for 2 years. 7,500 at enrollment, 500/month, and 5,500 bonus at end of term, all with a locked in rate.

Buyer beware with Energy Plus, my first month bill for 6 days was around 9 cents/KWH, my second bill jumped to close to 19 cents/KWH. I called to complain, explaining that I understood variable rates (I have an MBA with a focus in energy investment analysis, I know variability), but that kind of jump was not market variability and not a good way to convince me to stay with them as my energy supplier. They switched me to a bulk account and issued a 20% credit to my account. As soon as my miles post to my account, they will lose my business.

I estimate that my electricity is going to run me about $75 extra for the two months I am with them, which is $150 total for 10,000 miles + the 600 or so that I get for usage. That puts me at about 1.4 cents per mile. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but not killing me.
LSGator is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 3:29 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: 787
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,285
Originally Posted by LSGator View Post
I switched too, will get a 10,000 mile bonus after my second month. As soon as I get my miles, I am out of there and switching to a contract plan. Here in Texas, Reliant is offering a fairly sweet AA mile program for 2 years. 7,500 at enrollment, 500/month, and 5,500 bonus at end of term, all with a locked in rate.

Buyer beware with Energy Plus, my first month bill for 6 days was around 9 cents/KWH, my second bill jumped to close to 19 cents/KWH. I called to complain, explaining that I understood variable rates (I have an MBA with a focus in energy investment analysis, I know variability), but that kind of jump was not market variability and not a good way to convince me to stay with them as my energy supplier. They switched me to a bulk account and issued a 20% credit to my account. As soon as my miles post to my account, they will lose my business.

I estimate that my electricity is going to run me about $75 extra for the two months I am with them, which is $150 total for 10,000 miles + the 600 or so that I get for usage. That puts me at about 1.4 cents per mile. Not as cheap as I would have liked, but not killing me.

Do you know of any websites to compare electricity rates? I was with reliant energy and pretty sure they screwed me over multiple times.
ThePointsCollector is offline  
Old Sep 30, 11, 9:19 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: DFW
Posts: 192
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian View Post
Do you know of any websites to compare electricity rates? I was with reliant energy and pretty sure they screwed me over multiple times.
In Texas you can go to www.powertochoose.com and look at your available options and compare the current prices too.
saatx is offline  
Old Oct 2, 11, 5:38 am
  #42  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fairfield County, CT USA
Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Posts: 4,077
Originally Posted by DebBrown View Post
Yeah, me too. I switched in hopes of getting the extra miles before 12/1.

Deb
Don't sweat it. Assuming you're usage isn't crazy, it's probably worth it to use EnergyPlus for 3 months...or however long it takes to get the signup bonus to post. Just make sure you switch away right after it posts.
NYBanker is offline  
Old Oct 2, 11, 9:03 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 95
Great information here. I may still switch to get the 12,500 miles. I'll stay long enough to get the miles - - but will certainly watch my bill and switch again if they jack the rate up.
dw210 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 11, 10:47 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Posts: 859
I switched to Energy Plus here in TX for their 7.9 cents/kwh first month and 7500 bonus miles.

First month- 7.9cents (May)
Second Month- 11 cents (June)
Third Month- 15.9 cents (July)
Fourth (and final) month- 18.3 cents (Beginning of August)

My suggestion, switch the day the bonus miles post...
Phasers is offline  
Old Oct 3, 11, 11:26 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Phasers View Post
I switched to Energy Plus here in TX for their 7.9 cents/kwh first month and 7500 bonus miles.

First month- 7.9cents (May)
Second Month- 11 cents (June)
Third Month- 15.9 cents (July)
Fourth (and final) month- 18.3 cents (Beginning of August)

My suggestion, switch the day the bonus miles post...
Yes, that is absolutely true. It also takes a month or two to change suppliers so don't wait an extra minute!
thebat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: