Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Please don't shoot the Newb! Tried stickys, still confused...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please don't shoot the Newb! Tried stickys, still confused...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Looked at their [Aegean Airlines'] website, but could not find this info, may I know where you got it from?

Also does anyone their US phone# if any?
Here's a link to Aegean Air's Miles & Bonus accrual chart for flights taken on Aegean, as well as on partner carriers:

http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...px?code=winFly

I have no idea how long the relatively low mileage needed for Star Alliance elite status with Aegean will last. Carpe diem.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by no0neelse
I've actually read the opposite on these forums. Something about the eligible rates were much higher than could be normally found, so it rarely made sense to use it. Did you regularly find that it was able to save you money? I may have to try to dig mine up.
Check out this thread for reports of successes using the SPG 50. In some cases, the savings was relatively minor, but in some cases the savings was in the range of €200 per night. Needless to say, the greatest savings seems to come in properties with high rates and few specials/discounts, so 50% off the "Rack rate" is significant.

Over the years, I've used them a number of times, with good savings. Usually outside the US (in Germany, Italy, and South Africa) but some folks report success with US properties as well.

More experiences, both inside and outside the US, are mentioned in this thread and this one.

Last edited by Counsellor; Sep 12, 2010 at 8:11 am Reason: Added links to two more threads.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by saad
Thank you.

That will keep me busy for a while. It's 29 pages long. . .
Old Sep 13, 2010, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BearX220

You're working three programs: MR, SPG, AA. I would say it makes sense to concentrate on no more than two; after that, the average person's spend will be spread too thin across multiple programs for the cards to pay their way. I have four loyalty cards in my wallet right now: CO OP Mastercard, HHonors Visa, AS Visa and MR Visa. But the programs I'm concentrating on are OnePass and HHonors; the other two cards are hangers-on. (The Alaska Visa is a no-brainer to keep regardless of spend volume because of the one-per-year $99 companion fare code; it more than pays for itself. The MR card is tougher to justify; it's leftover from an earlier strategy. I think I'm dropping it after I finish working through a current targeted promo, wherein a certain monthly transaction frequency X 3 months = free stays.)
What I really thought I was doing was working 2 programs (for the most part) MR and AA. When I scaled back to 2 cards instead of the 4 I kept the spg instead of the AA since it was a lower annual fee and still gave me 1mpd, but unlike the AA card, I could choose what airline the miles went into (sometimes we use Delta). The spg was basically for the miles I could get but it did come in handy last year when we took a trip to Italy. We got a beautiful room in Florence with points & $$ and a suite at the Westin in Rome for points. Both hotels treated us like we were special. Our son was with us and we had a grand time. That time, using the spg points worked out to be a better deal than using MR. I'll have to look seriously at the thread about the spg card now that the fee has gone up.

We're doing some home improvement this year which has helped (???) with spending and racking up points. We were deciding on one last project to reside part of the house. The builder called back to say he really wanted the work and would lower his cost. I said I really wanted AA Lifetime Gold and need credit card spending. Asked him if I could purchase the materials from the lumber yard and put it on my credit card. They came back and said I could put the whole project on the card

I am very disappointed at the removal of AA from the Marriott partners. We get about 1 of those MR travel packages a year where I deposit 120,000 miles into an airline account. Besides AA we've flown Aer Lingus and Iberia through OneWorld. I think someone on TUG said Marriott was still partners with BA and if you deposited miles in BA you might still be able to use OneWorld. I haven't done the homework on that one yet.

I don't count lounge passes or comped elite status as part of a card's value prop since those things don't put any money in my pocket. When I look at total fees and occasional interest payments against value propositions, I can easily justify the (no-free) HHonors card and the AS card; I sheepishly justify the OnePass card as a balance-topper-upper, though it's less clear-cut; and I don't know what I'm doing with the Marriott card. You got to focus.
Thanks, this was helpful.

You got to stop apologizing for your "dumb" questions, which they aren't, and your contributions here have been extra useful -- undoubtedly more in the OP's wheelhouse, if she ever comes back, than those from super-duper high-volume FF adepts.
Thank you, it was very nice of you to say that.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by PixieGal
Hi folks, I'm a brand new member TODAY, and never even lurked here before. I know forum etiquett, as I'm a long-term member of other boards, but... I don't travel much and never needed advice on FF issues. I HAVE looked around in the stickys, tried to get some general answers, to find out if I even need to be here, but everywhere I look for general answers seems to be so outdated, I doubt if it's of any use. I have a couple of questions just to see whether I even NEED to find a FF program. Thanks in advance for any help.

1) I have two boys who just went off to college. They'll be needing flights 2-3times a year back and forth between Phoenix and Kansas City. I know this isn't a whole lot of flying, so should we look into some program/credit card, or just use Priceline/Orbitz etc. for each flight.

2) IF it would behoove us to get into some program, what would be the best direction, given that we won't be racking up miles often. Also, when they graduate, they'll be going into the military (ROTC now), so they won't need it then either.

Thanks again, and I apologize in advance if these questions WERE answered somewhere else and I just wasn't able to find them.

Pix
I agree with the others posted here. Sign up for all the FF programs out there. They are free, so no reason not to. Just remember that each has different rules as to when miles expire, how often you need to have activity, etc.

I've lost points at Hilton and Miles (kids accounts) on AA because of lack of activity. Good news is, most plans offer alternative use of the points/miles which qualify as activity. Magazine subscriptions, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:39 pm

I think Southwest has a special program for college students where they receive double points for all travel. Skimmed many posts, but didn't read in detail, so I don't know if this was already mentioned.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by geepmaley
I agree with the others posted here. Sign up for all the FF programs out there. They are free, so no reason not to. Just remember that each has different rules as to when miles expire, how often you need to have activity, etc.

I've lost points at Hilton and Miles (kids accounts) on AA because of lack of activity. Good news is, most plans offer alternative use of the points/miles which qualify as activity. Magazine subscriptions, etc.
And if you do that, sign up for a site like Awardwallet or another site that lets you track your point accumulation and expiration dates.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;

Also - with respect to Airlines focus on alliances not individual carriers. Pick one per alliance and use that for accumulation.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 5:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I agree with the others posted here. Sign up for all the FF programs out there. They are free, so no reason not to.
I'm not sure that anyone recommended signing up for all of them, and generally speaking it is actually a bad idea, not a good one. Where possible consolidating to a single program per alliance/partnership is a MUCH better idea for a host of reasons.

Really almost not worth the effort if you're just going to redeem for magazine subscriptions.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sbm12
Really almost not worth the effort if you're just going to redeem for magazine subscriptions.
i think what geepmaley is trying to say is that he can earn points from things like magazine subscriptions which will make sure his miles don't expire....
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:11 am

Or, if you can't earn points for magazine subscriptions (or don't want to pay for the magazines), sometimes you can redeem a few miles for the subscription and that redemption will count as "activity" to extend the life of the rest of the miles in your account.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Or, if you can't earn points for magazine subscriptions (or don't want to pay for the magazines), sometimes you can redeem a few miles for the subscription and that redemption will count as "activity" to extend the life of the rest of the miles in your account.
with aa you can also earn miles through the aadvantage eshopping mall....
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Actually...

Originally Posted by deant
You are correct. Her profile shows:

Last Activity: Sep 2, 10 6:44 pm
I must have missed a step when signing up for this site... I thought I'd be notified of any new posts in this thread via email. Obviously over a month has gone by, but I had some extra time tonight and thought I'd try and find the site again (honestly, I didn't remember the name). I'm not all the way through all your replies yet, but I've learned more than I ever dreamed! LOL

Thank you, in advance, to everyone who replied. It definitely got lengthy, but wow you guys sure did a LOT of "leg"work for me, haha. Not to take sides, but so far, the SWA rapid rewards sounds like the best deal for us. We're not gonna' get any huge rewards, but we'll be earning something on cheap flights, not just getting the cheapest flights. In its most simplistic stating, I think this sums it up for us, lol.

My boys are actually booking their Christmas flights within the next day or two, so I guess we better get on it pretty fast. That Citi 75K deal for signing up sure is tempting... but I'm afraid if I wait and do more research, we'll miss the first flight! On SWA RR, does each son sign up or do I sign up for one account? And I totally agree with one of the posters (sorry, no way to keep up with who all said what) that it will work much better if I manage the account(S) and harp on the boys nonstop to make sure they use their RR number when they book.

Pix

PS, below this box, under thread subscription notifications, I have Instant email notification highlighted. I wonder why I'm not getting any email notifications??
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:03 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=gardengirl;14622107]Wouldn't that be more of .007cpm since he revised it to say he actually only spent an extra $70 for the ticket?

Haha gardengirl, how close you are! More like getting myself acclimated to a near-empty nest, lol, but still no free or spare time to kill! Worst of both worlds!

Pix
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gardengirl
Yes, right before Labor Day. Give her time to get back home from taking the boys to school, stop crying from missing them and get back to what she was working on right before she went out of town.
Aaaannndddd she nails it!
LOL Thanks for sharing my pain, gardengirl! Obviously you've had a similar scenario?

Pix

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.