Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel Rewards Cheat Sheet Shows the Real Cost of Free Nights

Hotel Rewards Cheat Sheet Shows the Real Cost of Free Nights

Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by FLYERIL
I wish the way the values were determined was shown, so we could point out the flaws of the valuation.
It is shown and apparently all posters missed it. Look very carefully at the fine print. Its based on the cost of over 500 flights and the miles required to redeem those flights. AA did poorer than CO because CO tends to have 25K awards available more often. This is why US did the worst.

So there is some methodology. I know most here value the miles higher but for those of us who use miles for coach its not too far off. US and UA would raise some because they have domestic awards available that are not shown online.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by iolairemcfadden
The numbers just seem wacky to me. For example the AK Air sign up is 25,000 miles which they say is worth $197, that is also valid for a saver domestic ticket (i.e. a flight to Alaska or from the West Coast to the East Coast).. Unless you are flying between the lower 48 west coast states (i.e. OR to WA) you are hard put to fly a round trip for under $200 on Alaska Airlines.
Yes, but if you just redeem miles for whatever flight is most convenient you are often spending 40 or 50Kmiles for a domestic ticket. In those cases the value is about .5 cents and that is how they ended up under a penny.

Someone like my brother has difficulty getting more than a penny. Why? Because he wants to fly weekends and nonstop and doesn't want to compromise on date or time. He's not so concerned about first class. Problem is that there are never awards available even for domestic flights when he wants to travel. Consequently he just spends cash and the miles go unused.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Those charts are horrible. Miss WAY too many nuances.
Yes, for example with the Marriott card, you get a free cat. 5 stay each year on your anniversary. That can be valued up to $500.00 or more by itself if you use it at an expensive property like in Europe.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Like I posted in a similar thread, any study, chart, "news" item, blog, online tool, "cheat sheet", or calculator that does not include the statement "This was compiled by the expert members of Flyertalk.com" is likely to be laughably and horribly wrong.

Both of these charts are so full of basic errors I hardly know where to start. And that's even before getting into subjective nuances as the valuations of the points/miles.

Seriously, if you're a budding journalist, a wannabe journalists, or a blogger, please let us peer-review your stuff before you publish it, mmmkay? @:-)
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saad
good point....a person not familiar with miles & points may treat this as extremely credible....
Yup, because it is "published" by some outfit has a name...

Actually the more trashing this type of writings has (not too long ago there was a similar one published by an outfit with a different name) to lead the public believe collecting miles and points is a fool's game, the better off for those who actually KNOW how to get the most of such programs.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
For IHG, they forget that it's very easy to whore their program out for mucho points with few stays. Plus, they have the PointBreaks which get super cheap deals in nice places (sometimes).
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by canadian_golf_guy
For IHG, they forget that it's very easy to whore their program out for mucho points with few stays. Plus, they have the PointBreaks which get super cheap deals in nice places (sometimes).
very true....you have to love pointbreaks....i've gotten some excellent deals through this....
Old Aug 20, 2010, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another reason to not believe everything you read on the internet.

MisterNice
Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Another reason to not believe everything you read on the internet.

MisterNice
as if we needed another reason....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.