Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:41 am

Not sure if anyone cared to look, but it seems these cards have a 3% foreign transaction fee? Guess I'll be avoiding that one then.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:37 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Rejection email then got card?

I applied July 8th for the two Citi cards following post 2 instructions. I didn't have any Citi cards prior, nor had I done any applications.

I got immediate approval (after providing my cell phone number to them by phone) for the Visa, but got a rejection email for the Amex. A week later, I got both cards in the mail.

I filled out the applications this week for my husband, and got the same initial result. We got the approva for Visa, but a rejection email for the Amex. I'm going to wait and see what comes in the mail before we call to appeal.

In both cases, the reason given for denial was "multiple applications for credit".

Thanks to all who posted and especially the person maintaining post #2. It was very clear and helpful, and I'm thrilled with the 225K AA miles we've netted so far in July!

Now on to the spend

Anita

Last edited by akp; Jul 22, 2011 at 9:38 am Reason: unclear wording
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Is anyone else having the same "problem" as me when it comes to doing online payments on the AA CC's? It shows on the activity that the Click-To-Pay posted of $___ but according to my checking account, nothing posted yet? It's been almost a week as well... Am I getting lucky by not getting charged? I doubt it but I'm hoping I don't overdraw...
I dont like this. I always make sure the fund is withdrawn by the card issuer after the payment is posted on the card.

Anything not happened as it should usually would come back to haunt you and it takes forever to clean up the mess created by whatever glitch the system had at the time.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akp
I applied July 8th for the two Citi cards following post 2 instructions. I didn't have any Citi cards prior, nor had I done any applications.

I got immediate approval (after providing my cell phone number to them by phone) for the Visa, but got a rejection email for the Amex. A week later, I got both cards in the mail.

I filled out the applications this week for my husband, and got the same initial result. We got the approva for Visa, but a rejection email for the Amex. I'm going to wait and see what comes in the mail before we call to appeal.

In both cases, the reason given for denial was "multiple applications for credit".

Thanks to all who posted and especially the person maintaining post #2. It was very clear and helpful, and I'm thrilled with the 225K AA miles we've netted so far in July!

Now on to the spend

Anita
This is yet another very interesting data point. Thank you for posting and thank you for showing appreciation to jcmitchell21 who diligently maintains the information in Post No.2.

It looks like Citi's system is having some recent modification in how it handles the same day applications but not all codes are modified so now on one hand computer auto-rejected the 2nd application, on the other hand the approval process still goes through and if the application is approvable, a card is still issued... That is about the only logical explanation I could think of... But of course since when Citi's process has any logic?!

Good luck for your 2nd card. Please report back if the same favorable outcome occurs.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Infinion
Probably worth calling about it. Did you use your personal name as the business name? Did you use your home address? Anything that wouldn't match your personal credit report?

In the past with BT offers on business cards I've had to call in and explain why my business address was relatively new. Well, I'd just moved and was using my personal address. Of course it was new. I just told them I relocated the business address when I moved for another reason. This happened for 2 years or so after I moved. Usually with AMEX.

Anyway, I'd call
Well I called and the CSR said that a business of 1 year is too new to be approved for a card. I'll try calling again in a few days and I'll send in a letter too.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by drbobguy
Well I called and the CSR said that a business of 1 year is too new to be approved for a card. I'll try calling again in a few days and I'll send in a letter too.
They lied (or don't know the facts)
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:01 am

I just applied yesterday for both a personal visa and a business visa.

I got an instant approval for the personal visa and for the business visa it said a letter was to be mailed for approval.

Once I get the cards I will make the $1500 in purchases in a day or two and will post to see if I get the miles.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by olpii
I just applied yesterday for both a personal visa and a business visa.
Why did you do that?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by Infinion
Why did you do that?
I am not really going to be able to spend $4500 on amex card so I figured I did not need it. However if I spend $1500 on personal visa and $1500 on business visa won't i still receive 75k miles for each?
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not really going to be able to spend $4500 on amex card so I figured I did not need it. However if I spend $1500 on personal visa and $1500 on business visa won't i still receive 75k miles for each?
Yes.

But the $4K has 6 months time to do it. And later you can still get the business card...

Unless you desperately need the 2nd 75K very soon.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Yes.

But the $4K has 6 months time to do it. And later you can still get the business card...

Unless you desperately need the 2nd 75K very soon.
I kind of do because I am trying to use for some flights in the next 3 months and I will be out of the country for a year so I will not use my credit cards.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I kind of do because I am trying to use for some flights in the next 3 months and I will be out of the country for a year so I will not use my credit cards.
The out of country part really determines how you would do it. Now it makes perfect sense.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:53 am

Programs: AA LTP, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by drbobguy
Yeah, I think there is more to the story. I just did the Visa Business Card for 75k miles and for my business I put my own name, for revenues I put $0, and for time in business I put 1 year. I was approved.

BTW, thanks for maintaining this thread. It worked great!
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by modulen
Yeah, I think there is more to the story. I just did the Visa Business Card for 75k miles and for my business I put my own name, for revenues I put $0, and for time in business I put 1 year. I was approved.
Hmm, well I guess it just goes to show it's a crap shoot as always. Even with a good credit score, not too many inquiries, etc. you can still be declined for some odd-ball reason while other people get approved.

EDIT: I sent off a secure message (on my existing account) for reconsideration. I couldn't decide which of the drop down departments to send it to, so I did "other." I got a reply back nearly immediately saying they had forwarded it to the appropriate department and I'll hear back in 2 business days. I'll let you all know what they say.

Last edited by drbobguy; Jul 22, 2011 at 5:42 pm
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The out of country part really determines how you would do it. Now it makes perfect sense.
I am kind of in a rush, if I would have know of this in January then I would have done the amex card. I am hoping once I get the cards I will spend the $1500 on both cards in a week. You think I would get the miles posted quickly or as AA states from 8 to 10 weeks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.