Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by spankytoes
I have to fly DFW-TUL for business a lot, so I'll make Platinum before the year is up...just to lose it a month later.
If you earn PLT this year, you will remain PLT until Feb 29 2012.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:48 am

Programs: DL, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
Does anyone know if the "first time cardholder" applies to someone (like me) who has never had a Citi AAdvantage card in the US, but had a Citi AAdvantage card with Citibank Belgium? I obtained the card in September 2008 and, although I still have the same credit account, Citibank Belgium eliminated the AAdvantage card offering about 6-9 months ago and sent me a new (non-AA) card. This card has never appeared on my credit report, (though I can't remember if I gave them my SS# or not) and I never received any signup bonus (they didn't offer one in Belgium).

I am living in the US again, so the US residency requirement is not an issue.

I searched the Other Credit Cards thread, but didn't find any similar questions. Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
For those of you who are posting that you applied via these links and were approved-- did ANY of you get a different email offer? Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JB5150
For those of you who are posting that you applied via these links and were approved-- did ANY of you get a different email offer? Thanks.

No, the only offer I've gotten in the past month or so was 10k for an AA Citi Amex
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:56 am

CSRs

Somthing to keep in mind, I would take any general inquiry with a CSR as more likely to contain falsehoods than knowing the truth. Instead of saying they don't know, they'll just make up a bunch of ****.

That said, those of you who applied and called to ask SPECIFIC bonus information to be read back to you, thank you for contributing. I would suggest to anyone, volunteer NOTHING and force them to find the promos and read it back to you if you're approved. Far too easy for a CSR to simply agree with you and get you off the phone.

Sorry for the rant, but Citi has horrible front-line CSRs that spread misinformation.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: No preference
Available links

50k Offer Page
50k, Visa
50k, Amex
50k, Visa Business

As a cardmember, you’ll benefit from:
•50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1 — enough for two round-trip domestic flight awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
•offer expires Oct 31, 2010 (but can change without notice)

75k Offer Page
75k, Visa
75k, Visa Business
75k, Amex

•75,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $1,500 in purchases within the first 6 months of cardmembership1 — enough for select round-trip international travel awards2
•$85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

50k/100k, Visa
50k/100k, Visa Business
50k/100k, Amex

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1
• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards2
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*

Generally:
1. you can get approved for both a personal and business offers simultaneously.
2. if you want to apply for 2 personal cards, apply at the same time. but no promises on approval of the second card.
3. approval for 3 cards is vary rare, if not impossible.
4. applying for a personal and business card simultaneously will still result in 2 credit pulls.
5. you DO NOT need a business to apply for the business card, but this topic is ethics related.
6. if you have applied and did not get instant approval, "call us between the hours of 9:00 am to 9:00 pm EST, Monday - Friday, 1-866-606-2961"
6. your application is not denied until they tell you it is denied, and even then there have been instances of applicants receiving the cards and activating them.
7. if denied, you can contact Citi through mail or phone and ask them to reconsider.
8. some applications have no mention of the offer you are applying for, have faith it is correct. if you lack faith, you can confirm with a CSR after you apply.
9. if you receive a card and card info in the mail, it also will not have any mention of the offer code, have faith or call a CSR.
10. 1 business app every 90 days
11. 2 apps every 60 days
12. denial if you received a card within the last 10 months
13. a week to get your card
14. a few days after statement close to get your miles

Last edited by jcmitchell21; Aug 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
the true test will be when people start receiving their miles. i rec'd the 50k targeted offer and my wife the 30k targeted offer. mine has an expire date of 10/31 so Im gonna keep my eye on this thread and see the success rate on people actually receiving the miles. good luck to you all. this has been a banner year for promos.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: US Plat; AA; DL
Thoughts on being able to apply for multiple cards (say Visa, Visa Business, AND Amex) and collect multiple rewards? Assuming one has never held any of the cards (or any Citi cards or any AAdvantage cards) previously.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
Targeted email

Was all excited to see an AA email come in today. Would it be the 50/50 card, the 75K card...

Instead, it was an email letting me know AA has a new app for the iphone.

Applied for the 75K card from the links here, but I got the "within a week" screen of death.

Sigh.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Ok, I got a low targeted offer but applied through the 50K/50K link. I did NOT enter my AA number just in case the offer is tied to that. I figure I can always combine the accounts later. I did not get instantly approved. I spoke with a CSR who confirmed the 50K initial offer but could not confirm any bonus miles for spending. They hit experian for me, just fyi.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by JB5150
Ok, I got a low targeted offer but applied through the 50K/50K link. I did NOT enter my AA number just in case the offer is tied to that. I figure I can always combine the accounts later. I did not get instantly approved. I spoke with a CSR who confirmed the 50K initial offer but could not confirm any bonus miles for spending. They hit experian for me, just fyi.
I was just wondering about this. Is it possible Citi now has a filter in place that is not (just) looking at SSN but also AA# to find previous card holders? Since their computer has to communicate with AA to coordinate the miles from spend, this doesn't seem beyond the realm of unreason.

In fact, I could see this as much more likely than trying to have a system that vets offer codes by each e-mail account. For example, I've gotten AA card offers in e-mail months after holding the existing card, so I don't think there's much screen or effort between the solicitations and whether you can actually get approval-- even when it comes directly to you.

If I get dinged now, maybe I'll reapply in October after 60 days goes by without an existing AA number. Worth the headache if only way to get 75-100k.

P.S. jcmitchell21, thanks so much for taking the time to consolidate the links!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:44 am

Just to add a data point:
Applied for the 50K/50K business visa... wasn't approved right away so I called in. They processed and approved me over the phone and then confirmed that my sign-up bonus was 40K after $750 in spend.

The rep said this was because I had an old app on file (from January) that was originally declined (apparently this was the offer on my old app?), but I could call customer service to have the offer changed once I got the card.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just pulled the trigger and tried to apply for the 75K personal visa. As expected, didn't get an instant approval (have churned quite a bit in the past 2 yrs, and still have a business visa on hand). Called in to try to see if I could get approval, no luck. CSR says she couldn't get decision right now, and that I will receive notification in a week. Not looking good

Last edited by glu800; Jul 30, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
50k/100k, Visa Business

• 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after $750 in purchases within the first 4 months of cardmembership1
• 50,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles after you make $10,000 in purchases during your first 12 months of cardmembership1 - a total of 100,000 AAdvantage® miles is enough for select round-trip international flight awards2
• $85 annual fee ($75 for the CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card) waived for the first 12 months of cardmembership*
Hi, thank you for posting this! I might have missed it - but using the link I do not see where the bonus miles are specified for this offer. Where are the specific bonus miles for this card posted in the link?
Thanks again!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by CherylD
Hi, thank you for posting this! I might have missed it - but using the link I do not see where the bonus miles are specified for this offer. Where are the specific bonus miles for this card posted in the link?
Thanks again!
PLease read the thread. you need to trust the poster that the link is correct, by now quite a few people have been approved and confirmed the bonus with CSR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.