Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:11 am

Instant Gratification

So here's some real life experience:

- Had a bunch of Citi cards in past (so am definitely not a first time customer) but never VISA business
- Did not get any e-mail for any offer
- Just applied using link above for 75k offer and got "decision in a week" message
- Called number provided and asked for instant decision, and was approved
- CSR verified no annual fee and 75,000 miles after $1,500 spend

Very productive morning!

PS I don't agree with the statement above about personal info in the link. The link is generic and I don't think the offer is targeted. And I don't think that "instant approval or nothing at all" is correct.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I no longer have any of these cards and I am waiting for the smoke to clear up a little more as I was denied back in April after churning over the last several years. I still have a few ThankYou cards and I wonder how this affects it...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I no longer have any of these cards and I am waiting for the smoke to clear up a little more as I was denied back in April after churning over the last several years. I still have a few ThankYou cards and I wonder how this affects it...
Pls keep us posted. Im waiting for the dust to settle also...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Hate to rain on you - but if you got this language at Step 3, it is a telltale sign of denial. You most likely will receive the denial email in a few days with the reason being "existing customer).
Yeah, that's my assumption too. I knew it was a long shot, but since I wasn't expecting any more cards for a while from Citi anyway, I figured to test the system it may as well be a big offer! Worth the inquiry to find out.

In fact, I hit the submit button saying "it can't hurt - you'll never know unless you try"

Just like your handle, I'm happy either way. I've done great lately, so no complaints.

I'll follow up on results...
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by longleaf
Really? That sucks. So, Citi only gives instant approvals or nothing at all?
If you get to Step 5, while it tells you it would need more time to process your application, but you can now accessorize your account such as add online payment / statement etc - then you have a very good shot of getting the card applied for - but not necessarily the case for AAdvantage card due to the enforcement of the T&Cs.

It is not unheard of that even instant approval was rescinded by subsequent denial email based on "previously existing customer / cardholder" reason.

If one has ANY AAdvantage card in the past, even if you have instant approval, not UNTIL the Physical Card is in hand, dont really count on it. It does not matter if you only have AA Mastercard in the past and now you apply for Visa or AMEX - all personal cards are treated the same, ditto for all business cards.

There is a lengthy thread in Other Credit Card forum with loads more information on that.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:21 am

of course, I'm still holding out hope
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Me and GF applied were both instantly approved. Called up this morning spoke to them to ensure that this was indeed the fee-waived/75K mile offer that we had signed up for and was told yes is showing as so on both and will be credited the miles after meeting the spend.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gil123
So here's some real life experience:

- Had a bunch of Citi cards in past (so am definitely not a first time customer) but never VISA business
- Did not get any e-mail for any offer
- Just applied using link above for 75k offer and got "decision in a week" message
- Called number provided and asked for instant decision, and was approved
- CSR verified no annual fee and 75,000 miles after $1,500 spend

Very productive morning!

PS I don't agree with the statement above about personal info in the link. The link is generic and I don't think the offer is targeted. And I don't think that "instant approval or nothing at all" is correct.
Correct. It does not to be instant approval.

However Citi can still deny issuing the card even after instant approval, or approved over the phone as you have had, when another department does its verification of "previous customers". In fact there is recently reported cases in the lengthy thread over the Other Credit Card Forum that someone got the approval on the phone (on the 35K offer) like you, and only be denied later with the "previous customers" reason. A friend got instant approvals couple months ago and found denial emails in his inbox upon return of a trip with same reason.

The only sure thing is to have the Physical Card in hand. If a card is actually issued, there should be a Congrat email sent to you within a day or so. In above cases, no Congrat email ever arrives.

FWIW, it seems all personal cards are treated the same, and all business cards are treated the same, in terms of "previous customers." If you have never had any AAdvantage business card, you stand a good chance. Please do post back when you receive the physical card as this would be my case as well but I would wait till more information before jumping in.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 30, 2010 at 9:35 am
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airshadow
of course, I'm still holding out hope
As long as you dont hold your breadth...

You should find out in 2 to 5 business days by email based on experiences.

Approvable application would get a reference number on the final screen with a toll-free number for you to call in "to get instant consideration" or something in that regard.

However, whether instant approval or deferred approval, unless you get a Congrat email or the Physical Card in hand, it is not a sure thing you get the card. Citi has done plenty denials AFTER approvals. One can read such posts in the lengthy ongoing thread over the Other Credit Card Forum - plenty of such incidents reported.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: Too many to list
Hate to rain on you - but if you got this language at Step 3, it is a telltale sign of denial. You most likely will receive the denial email in a few days with the reason being "existing customer).
Not 100% true. Last application in June this happened to me and I thought: "crap, here we go again." But, a week later I got an email saying I was approved and the card came a few days later. I'm with you that normally approvals will happen that way, but not always!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Not 100% true. Last application in June this happened to me and I thought: "crap, here we go again." But, a week later I got an email saying I was approved and the card came a few days later. I'm with you that normally approvals will happen that way, but not always!
You are luckier than I. I ran into that in late June for the first time and got the denial emails 2 days later. OTOH, in late Nov while still having a Visa open, I got instant approvals on both MC and AMEX, versus the Visa was canceled 2 weeks before app in late June and got denials.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
There is hope I receive my 50+50 email this morning. But I am convinced that anyone can apply using previousle posted links.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Many
I got an email yesterday offering 30,000 miles, while my father got an email offering him a lowly 10,000 miles. What a joke!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by MrPink
AA sold these already last year in that cash deal with Citi. Not saying a devaluation isn't possible, but these miles were spoken for a while ago

My guess is Citi is getting desperate seeing how well the BA, UA and SPG promos are doing for their respective issuers.
The miles may have been "spoken for" on Citi's side, but AA's accepting them for travel is all in the very changeable future. Will AA miles be tougher to use at today's redemption levels down the road? Basic economic concepts of supply and demand, the history of FF programs (see currently Delta) and common sense, all say yes. None of the airlines are going to go buy additional Airbuses to make it easier for people to redeem awards. It's really off-topic for this thread, but a very interesting topic for another one. My guess is that status will play a much, much bigger role in the ability to redeem awards, especially for the airlines whose miles are being given away for almost nothing (BA, AA, etc.). If I'm right, it'll bad news for many, especially when I see the low number of FF posts of many posting here since that may indicate folks w/o status.

I agree that Citi may be getting somewhat desperate, and I was expecting something from them, though I thought it would be rewarding use by existing cardholders rather than piling onto the new card giveaway.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 9:52 am

Programs: Lotz
I've had an AA Mastercard for many years but in June I got a business Visa and a personal AmEx and got the 30K bonuses at statement closing. ( I'd never had either before). At first I got the "14 day" answer so I just phoned Citibank and the rep approved both on the phone in 5 minutes since the app was complete online.

OTOH- The first of July I applied for a personal Visa and didn't phone after getting the "await decision" message. I got a turn-down email a week later because offer was for "new Aadvantage customers". Don't know for sure whether it was because it would have been the 3rd in 60 days or because I didn't do a phone follow-up.

Anyway it worked out fine because I jumped on the Starwood 30/30 cards from AmEx when they got extended.

I may try and phone for the difference between the 30's I got and the 50 offer (might shoot myself if foot too). Also may sit out until end of Oct. and try for the personal Visa again at 50K on this new offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.