Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by grlmopz
I am really hoping to make my million AAdvantage miles before December 1st. I'm currently about 70K shy of that goal. Do I have any shot of making it, given the following circumstances?

Last business card opened: July 6th
Last personal card opened: September 10th
65 days after last card: November 14th

Is there any chance of:

(a) a successful application for a Business Card
(b) receiving said card
(c) moving up the closing date to November 28th or thereabouts
Incorrectly reading post #2 ... Citi currently only sees your most recent app because July 6th > 60 days ago. Which means you have 1 general Citi app available to you. Now as Citi biz apps go, you must wait 90+ days from previous app to reapply, after you have closed your previous biz card. Which means you can apply for a new Citi biz card as soon as October 7th (or better yet like Oct 10 or 12).
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Not hard to do the spend - just charge up around $1400 immediately, send in a paper payment, then when that posts charge the other $100 and let the statement close.

(I haven't actually done that but no reason to think it won't work. I think Happy has done that before?)
About payment at Branch? I have done a few but not because of the low credit limit. All my Citi cards have credit limits between 9K to 15K at initial approvals. In fact I was very bummed not to apply the 50/50 offer back then for fear of the 1K limit would make it very hard to work with but I wound up receiving 13.5K limit... and wasted a better offer.

I occasionally dropped some coins at the branch to make partial payment to the cards - the personal cards all posted real time, credit limit immediately reflects the payment which was also reflected in Payment History.

The biz card is a totally different story. The payment can only be seen in old account activity (better make a screenshot the same day you paid so you would have the history.) The payment is NEVER reflected in the payment history whatsoever. Never! Though the credit limit did reflect the payment the NEXT Day. Needless to say, I only made one and only branch payment to the Biz card due to very poor web history.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by grlmopz
I am really hoping to make my million AAdvantage miles before December 1st. I'm currently about 70K shy of that goal. Do I have any shot of making it, given the following circumstances?

Last business card opened: July 6th
Last personal card opened: September 10th
65 days after last card: November 14th

Is there any chance of:

(a) a successful application for a Business Card
(b) receiving said card
(c) moving up the closing date to November 28th or thereabouts
DH and I just got the two personal cards. The close date was about 5 days after we activated the cards. I quickly charged the limits to get it posted in 5 days. I don't know if the business card follows the same schedule but I'd do it and be prepared to charge the whole amount the same day you activate. It may or may not work.

If you have a delay in getting approved then you are probably out of luck. I'm planning the same thing but my date is 10/29.

Deb
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by htr
Recieved personal AA cards about 4 months back. Applied for the Citibusiness card over the weekend($1.5k for 75 mi), recieved a reply to call their 800 number with an application id. Called this morning, after verifying my info and a long wait she came back with an approval and a lovely $1,000 limit. She did admit is was quite low, but couldn't do anything and I could call into customer service number once I recieved the card. No explanantion as to why - my credit scores are excellent.

Anyone seen this before? Just trying to be prepared for the call.
Hard to do a quick $1,500 for the 75k mi and get it all credited by the end of November with such credit limit.
I got a $1000 CL on a $4000 spend Business card. Meanwhile, my wife, with a lower FICO got $4000 CL on a $1500 spend Business card. I purchased $1000, waited for it to post, paid online, rinse-repeat and made my $4000 spend in about a month, although over two billing cycles. After getting the miles and paying off the balance, I closed the account and will reapply for a second Business card in another week and change.

The biggest headache was waiting for purchases to post. Online purchases seem to take a lot longer.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
I got a $1000 CL on a $4000 spend Business card. Meanwhile, my wife, with a lower FICO got $4000 CL on a $1500 spend Business card. I purchased $1000, waited for it to post, paid online, rinse-repeat and made my $4000 spend in about a month, although over two billing cycles. After getting the miles and paying off the balance, I closed the account and will reapply for a second Business card in another week and change.

The biggest headache was waiting for purchases to post. Online purchases seem to take a lot longer.

How do yourinse repeat with Citi CC ? I know what that means with Fido but CCs ? No coins anymore ? amazon ?

TIA
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
How do yourinse repeat with Citi CC ? I know what that means with Fido but CCs ? No coins anymore ? amazon ?

TIA
The first $1K was my last coin order, the rest was things I needed to buy, or Amazon, Venmo, etc.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:04 pm

which one to do

I have both an active Citi Bus and personal Visa right now. Applied for Citi Bus just within the last two months and already met spend on that. Have had the Personal Visa since oct. 2010. I want to cancel and reapply for another, but just not sure which is a better idea. Seems like business card you can cancel and apply again fairly shortly. I'm holding off on the Amex Citi as the spend is $4500 and I plan on applying for that once I hit the spend on my Bus SPG Amex. So, cancel citi bus or citi personal and how long to wait for reapply? Could do two browser trick with Citi Amex as well?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Originally Posted by Happy
Majority of people cannot get more than 1 Biz card to their SSN / EIN.
Does this mean at a time, or in total? I.e., I understand that I can't have two Business cards at once for the same business, but does this mean you can't churn with the same business by opening card, meeting spend, closing card and repeating?

I thought that the Bus card was somewhat churnable.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
I have both an active Citi Bus and personal Visa right now. Applied for Citi Bus just within the last two months and already met spend on that. Have had the Personal Visa since oct. 2010. I want to cancel and reapply for another, but just not sure which is a better idea. Seems like business card you can cancel and apply again fairly shortly. I'm holding off on the Amex Citi as the spend is $4500 and I plan on applying for that once I hit the spend on my Bus SPG Amex. So, cancel citi bus or citi personal and how long to wait for reapply? Could do two browser trick with Citi Amex as well?
If you got the personal card(s) within the last year you are unlikely to be able to get another one yet. *Usually* it takes 14-18 months or more to clear the first-time restriction. The Citi AmEx is $4000 not $4500, FWIW. You probably will not be able to get another Citi AA Business card until 90+ days from last Business application.

Probably best to wait for 90+ days from Business app and apply for a new Business card. If you feel lucky, you can apply for the $1500 Visa at the same time, two pulls but twice the miles if you get lucky.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
HmmDonuts I just got approved for biz visa with a prior biz visa card still open. once new one arrives i plan to call in retention on the old one see what i can get for that

can't you prepay expenses with gift cards on the old one to get the bonus through?
The 100K miles (50K/50K) promo had a spend requirement of $10K; child's play with the Mint but without it not so much. I'm still 3/4 of the way short, and with the AA MM deadline, there's no way I'd make it, even prepaying for expenses. The card also came with a low CL, which makes it a bit more annoying to use. Also am leery of locking so much money into gift cards that would take me ages to use up and prevent me from applying to other cards.
Essentially I blame the Mint for my dilemma
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
I just successfully received the 75,000 for my wife's new card (I already have a personal one).
Old Sep 12, 2011, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I've heard of numerous people (myself included) receiving a $1K limit, despite having great credit, long standing biz, etc. I was furious when I got that since all my other Biz cards have limits of $15-25K each. It's a pain in the neck, but makes me more determined to cancel it.
My two business cards have both only had $1000 limits. My personal cards (three of which are Citi) all have high limits, and I have a high credit score.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA 1mil SPG Gold and a variety of others
And now I have a business card approval for another 75,000!

I LOVE this forum.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bazers
And now I have a business card approval for another 75,000!

I LOVE this forum.
Was it an instant approval or did you have to send stuff in?
Old Sep 12, 2011, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by jcmitchell21
Incorrectly reading post #2 ... Citi currently only sees your most recent app because July 6th > 60 days ago. Which means you have 1 general Citi app available to you. Now as Citi biz apps go, you must wait 90+ days from previous app to reapply, after you have closed your previous biz card. Which means you can apply for a new Citi biz card as soon as October 7th (or better yet like Oct 10 or 12).
Thanks a lot for stepping in to set me straight. I've been reading this thread for what seems like forever, so I thought I had it all sorted out. That said, I still don't understand.

In your famous "post #2", you suggest waiting 65 days after a successful two-browser double application (I didn't mention that I did the double application in this post, but did so two posts upthread.)

Given the fact that I got both the personal VISA and AMEX approved on September 9th, does that change the strategy you mention?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.