Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Sep 11, 11, 2:44 pm
  #8941  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,563
Maybe I am just lucky. I had a personal and biz visa opened Sept. last year and both got approved. Biz visa cancelled March this year and I just tried my second biz visa on Sept. 5th and got no where (just a message to say wait for email) but today a shinny AA biz visa showed up in my mailbox. Activated it and confirmed the 75K miles with 1.5K spending in 6 months. On my personal visa opened last year I just saw they automatically waived my annual fee. This might be from the grandfathered citi gold benefits. They seem to waive all the fees on AA, Thank You premier (old premier pass elite) and even the sold diner's club card. I am going out to buy a power ball ticket...
yoyo is offline  
Old Sep 11, 11, 3:05 pm
  #8942  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Posts: 2,563
Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
I'm not sure if anyone has tried it and posted results, but the general advice is not to do this. It almost certainly wouldn't work as they probably check first/last name on the AA account. And people have warned that this certainly violates the T&C of AAdvantage, so you could conceivably have your account closed and lose any and all AA miles you already have.

Not worth the risk.
I think you misread that the OP is signing up his Mother for a credit card and using their Mother's AAdvantage account so they do match. FYI, some other people also recommend this:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ny-more-miles/
johndeere19 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 11, 4:03 pm
  #8943  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA, USAir
Posts: 228
I used FireFox In-Private Browsing on 2 computers to submit Visa and Amex personal apps at the same time. Visa stopped at Step3 with a number to call. AMEX took a while to process but was approved online.

Called CSR for the VISA and they took about 5 minutes to process but ended up being approved. They asked me for my cell phone number too.

My last personal app was back in Aug-09 and I had several denials in between so this is a nice breath of fresh air. (I did have a Visa Business opened Oct-'10 for 100k miles though).

Thanks to FT community for making this opportunity available for me : )
jimbaum is offline  
Old Sep 11, 11, 6:24 pm
  #8944  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Posts: 1,467
"Pop-up Blocker" should be turned off when applying for Business VISA?

As I reported here recently, I went to step 5 but didn't get application#/contact phone # at all.
In general, application# is on pop-up window?
I did pop-up blocker turned on as usual when I applied for business VISA.

As far as I remember, application# and contact phone # showed up on main window, not on pop-up window.
supergrandslam is offline  
Old Sep 11, 11, 8:38 pm
  #8945  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,531
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7 View Post
I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in 600 pages, but what happens if I sign my mom or dad up for one of these cards and enter my own AAdvantage number on the application page, which is already associated with the cards I got? Snag or will it go through and give me the 75k bonus after meeting the spends on those cards?
Originally Posted by johndeere19 View Post
I think you misread that the OP is signing up his Mother for a credit card and using their Mother's AAdvantage account so they do match. FYI, some other people also recommend this:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ny-more-miles/
I believe although drbobguy replied to susiesan's post, they both were referring to Frinkiac7's question - susiesan's approach is perfectly fine, but Frinkiac7's intention is definitely not worth the risk as drbobguy pointed out.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 11, 11, 8:40 pm
  #8946  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,531
Originally Posted by supergrandslam View Post
"Pop-up Blocker" should be turned off when applying for Business VISA?

As I reported here recently, I went to step 5 but didn't get application#/contact phone # at all.
In general, application# is on pop-up window?
I did pop-up blocker turned on as usual when I applied for business VISA.

As far as I remember, application# and contact phone # showed up on main window, not on pop-up window.
You remember it correctly. There is no pop up window. There might be a chat window coming up with the application of personal cards. Not sure if anyone ever reported seeing a chat window at the end of biz card application.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 12:48 am
  #8947  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: MR, SPG, IHG, HH, CC, AA, UA, BA, DL
Posts: 264
Biz card question. I applied for and got the Biz card previously under the 50K/50K promo. Thanks to the end of the Mint program, I find myself likely unable to meet the spend requirement for the last 50K in time for the 1MM AA deadline.
I'm thinking of applying for another Biz card under the 75K/$1,500 promo, since I should be able to meet that spend requirement without a problem.
Any advice on the course of action to follow? Can I simply apply for a new card or should I cancel the first one beforehand (It's been well over 90 days since I applied for the 1st Biz card)?
HmmDonuts is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 4:38 am
  #8948  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: DL FO, AA LT PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Other Crap...
Posts: 5,489
HmmDonuts I just got approved for biz visa with a prior biz visa card still open. once new one arrives i plan to call in retention on the old one see what i can get for that

can't you prepay expenses with gift cards on the old one to get the bonus through?
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 8:21 am
  #8949  
htr
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 4
Business Card delayed approval, but $1K limit?

Recieved personal AA cards about 4 months back. Applied for the Citibusiness card over the weekend($1.5k for 75 mi), recieved a reply to call their 800 number with an application id. Called this morning, after verifying my info and a long wait she came back with an approval and a lovely $1,000 limit. She did admit is was quite low, but couldn't do anything and I could call into customer service number once I recieved the card. No explanantion as to why - my credit scores are excellent.

Anyone seen this before? Just trying to be prepared for the call.
Hard to do a quick $1,500 for the 75k mi and get it all credited by the end of November with such credit limit.
htr is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 8:51 am
  #8950  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 2P, AS MVP, WN CP; MR Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, RR Au
Posts: 4,968
Originally Posted by dave_SEA View Post
I applied for the Citi Visa Business card via the $1500 link. Card was approved. I called CSR and they told me minimum spend was $4000.

Has this happened to anyone? They said that if I fax in proof of the 1500 offer, they would consider changing. I may be able to reach 4K, but it will be tight for the Dec deadline....I'm wondering if trying to appeal is worthwhile, or can cause complication and mess things up.
These offers are technically expired and there is no offer page. Not sure what proof you could send. Also, doesn't seem like a good idea.

Seems the better path is to be happy for the approval and pay ahead some bills and/or get some fee-free gift cards.

Originally Posted by htr View Post
Called this morning, after verifying my info and a long wait she came back with an approval and a lovely $1,000 limit. She did admit is was quite low, but couldn't do anything and I could call into customer service number once I recieved the card. No explanantion as to why - my credit scores are excellent.

Anyone seen this before? Just trying to be prepared for the call.
Hard to do a quick $1,500 for the 75k mi and get it all credited by the end of November with such credit limit.
Do you really want to risk another credit pull to reconsider the limit?

Not hard to do the spend - just charge up around $1400 immediately, send in a paper payment, then when that posts charge the other $100 and let the statement close.

(I haven't actually done that but no reason to think it won't work. I think Happy has done that before?)
MDtR-Chicago is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 9:09 am
  #8951  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 415
Advice on approval for both cards

My wife and I had the same history with Citi: Our last successful applications for a personal card were in November, 2009.

65 days after her most recent Business card, she was approved for a personal Visa card. I cleared cookies and used the same browser for the AMEX and she was rejected for multiple applications for credit.

65 days after my most recent Business card, I tried the two browser trick. I hit the application buttons about a second apart. Both were approved.

My conclusion: Applications in parallel > applications in series
grlmopz is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 9:12 am
  #8952  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: AL
Programs: All of the Above
Posts: 1,349
Originally Posted by htr View Post
Recieved personal AA cards about 4 months back. Applied for the Citibusiness card over the weekend($1.5k for 75 mi), recieved a reply to call their 800 number with an application id. Called this morning, after verifying my info and a long wait she came back with an approval and a lovely $1,000 limit. She did admit is was quite low, but couldn't do anything and I could call into customer service number once I recieved the card. No explanantion as to why - my credit scores are excellent.

Anyone seen this before? Just trying to be prepared for the call.
Hard to do a quick $1,500 for the 75k mi and get it all credited by the end of November with such credit limit.
I've heard of numerous people (myself included) receiving a $1K limit, despite having great credit, long standing biz, etc. I was furious when I got that since all my other Biz cards have limits of $15-25K each. It's a pain in the neck, but makes me more determined to cancel it.
DavidAL is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 9:13 am
  #8953  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 415
I am really hoping to make my million AAdvantage miles before December 1st. I'm currently about 70K shy of that goal. Do I have any shot of making it, given the following circumstances?

Last business card opened: July 6th
Last personal card opened: September 10th
65 days after last card: November 14th

Is there any chance of:

(a) a successful application for a Business Card
(b) receiving said card
(c) moving up the closing date to November 28th or thereabouts
grlmopz is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 9:35 am
  #8954  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,531
Originally Posted by HmmDonuts View Post
Biz card question. I applied for and got the Biz card previously under the 50K/50K promo. Thanks to the end of the Mint program, I find myself likely unable to meet the spend requirement for the last 50K in time for the 1MM AA deadline.
I'm thinking of applying for another Biz card under the 75K/$1,500 promo, since I should be able to meet that spend requirement without a problem.
Any advice on the course of action to follow? Can I simply apply for a new card or should I cancel the first one beforehand (It's been well over 90 days since I applied for the 1st Biz card)?
It varies. Majority of people cannot get more than 1 Biz card to their SSN / EIN. The latest case reported by Susiesan is even an authorized user status on a Biz Card prevented her husband to get initial approval.

There are also rare cases that someone has several real businesses and has been able to get a biz card for each business. Apparently this would not be your case.

So it is your call whether you want to do. It can go both ways.
Happy is offline  
Old Sep 12, 11, 9:37 am
  #8955  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,531
Originally Posted by grlmopz View Post
I am really hoping to make my million AAdvantage miles before December 1st. I'm currently about 70K shy of that goal. Do I have any shot of making it, given the following circumstances?

Last business card opened: July 6th
Last personal card opened: September 10th
65 days after last card: November 14th

Is there any chance of:

(a) a successful application for a Business Card
(b) receiving said card
(c) moving up the closing date to November 28th or thereabouts
From what I have experienced, all change of statement date with Citi, takes effect the 2nd billing cycle. Others may be able to give you some more encouraging words...
Happy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: