Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by factory81
These cards certainly do suck. Bought some college books from abebooks, was charged 3% foreign transaction fee due to them being in Canada. Then I entered in my routing and checking account # for my second bank account and was charged a $20 non-sufficient check fee because the routing # was wrong.

I called them and told them I am amused by their transaction fees that they refuse to remove, and I will not be paying the $20 non-sufficient check fee. They offer me $25 off to spend $500 within 6 months and I said I will take that offer, but that does not remove the $20 fee, and I expect it to be removed.

At this point in time I have spent in excess of $4400 on my Amex with a balance of $370. I pay my bills in full every month. I live debt free and pay no interest or fees (ever!).

I told them these cards are terrible for travelers and had I known they were such a hassle I would have used another card with no foreign transaction fees. I basically told them you can either remove the $20 or consider this customer lost and asked them to tell me what they value a customer at. I told them that I would accept the foreign transaction fees (only $10.51 total) and let them win that battle.

These cards suck! I am DEFINITELY cancelling after the 1 year fee free promotion. Keeping the PC Club Visa (no foreign transaction fees), and maybe...maybe keeping the CO OnePass.
Is this a joke...
1) Foreign transaction fees are standard on cards. Only some offer no foreign transaction fees.
2) If you entered the right routing number and they used a wrong number then sure you have an argument. You know, maybe they used a dyslexic computer. If you typed in the wrong number then it's your fault. Maybe if you ask nicely they will reverse it once but that can't be expected. You could argue that Citi should verify routing numbers like some other cards with a small deposit/withdrawal. But if it was an error on your part, it's like writing them a check, except accidentally writing it on a post-it note.
3) With some of the 150k AA miles you got maybe you can fly to citi headquarters in first class and ask them for the $20 in person. And then have 125k miles left.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:35 am

Got approved for both the visa and amex cards

Thank you for maintaining this topic!

I applied both the visa and amex cards 3 days ago and both applications returned that they need additional information and asked me to call. I hesitated to call because I thought that I was denied ( I already had a Citybank Aadvantage Platinum Mastercard and it still opens).

I read some posts today that motivated me to call. The CSR just asked me some information and then informed me that I was approved for both cards. She also confirmed about the 75k offers.

I also applied the cards for my wife but only the visa card is instantly approved. The amex card was refused after one day. She also got the Gold card instead of the Platinum. Does anybody have this Gold card? Does it have the same offer as the Platinum?
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoantvn
Thank you for maintaining this topic!

I applied both the visa and amex cards 3 days ago and both applications returned that they need additional information and asked me to call. I hesitated to call because I thought that I was denied ( I already had a Citybank Aadvantage Platinum Mastercard and it still opens).

I read some posts today that motivated me to call. The CSR just asked me some information and then informed me that I was approved for both cards. She also confirmed about the 75k offers.

I also applied the cards for my wife but only the visa card is instantly approved. The amex card was refused after one day. She also got the Gold card instead of the Platinum. Does anybody have this Gold card? Does it have the same offer as the Platinum?
What was the reason(s) cited for the AMEX denial on your wife's application?

Dont worry about the gold card - she would get the same bonus. Both Chase and Citi gave lower grade card when the applicant somehow does not meet the requirement for the higher credit line requirement, but it would honor the original bonus applied for assuming you went through the correct link - the bonus code is imbedded in the URL.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:42 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by nall
Is the 2 miles per dollar spent on AA flights no longer applicable to normal city AA cards?
Not for quite a while.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by mgchan
Is this a joke...

2) If you entered the right routing number and they used a wrong number then sure you have an argument. You know, maybe they used a dyslexic computer. If you typed in the wrong number then it's your fault. Maybe if you ask nicely they will reverse it once but that can't be expected. You could argue that Citi should verify routing numbers like some other cards with a small deposit/withdrawal. But if it was an error on your part, it's like writing them a check, except accidentally writing it on a post-it note.
When you enter your payment linking bank account, it asked for the routing number and when you go to confirm, it automatically puts in the bank's name and lists the last digits of the routing number and account number you've chosen to link on the next step. You then verify to get to the last screen afterward.

If they mistake is theirs, they will certainly waive the fee. Otherwise, its a online banking 101 mistake on your part.

I'd be assured the card will suck less when you bank the 75K in miles. Otherwise, you can always gift them to me to alleviate the agony.

I would eat the $20 and move on, toward the spend.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:10 am

applied for VISA and said it needs further review and will hear within one week.
Can't understand it, I only have one credit card right now, gold amex, around 750 credit score. The only thing is I cancelled the aadvantage mastercard a few months ago.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:12 am

usually I get instant approval on 95% of cards, citi in the past if no instant approval I get denied (usually for duplicate cards)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Happy
What was the reason(s) cited for the AMEX denial on your wife's application?

Dont worry about the gold card - she would get the same bonus. Both Chase and Citi gave lower grade card when the applicant somehow does not meet the requirement for the higher credit line requirement, but it would honor the original bonus applied for assuming you went through the correct link - the bonus code is imbedded in the URL.
Thanks for your reply. The reason that her Amex card was denial is:

You have submitted multiple applications for credit.

I'm not sure if I should call them to negotiate for this.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles
When you enter your payment linking bank account, it asked for the routing number and when you go to confirm, it automatically puts in the bank's name and lists the last digits of the routing number and account number you've chosen to link on the next step. You then verify to get to the last screen afterward.

If they mistake is theirs, they will certainly waive the fee. Otherwise, its a online banking 101 mistake on your part.

I'd be assured the card will suck less when you bank the 75K in miles. Otherwise, you can always gift them to me to alleviate the agony.

I would eat the $20 and move on, toward the spend.
Very true. If the routing number was input incorrectly, it would not pull up the CORRECT Bank Name.

There might be more story behind it the OP has not told us...
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoantvn
Thanks for your reply. The reason that her Amex card was denial is:

You have submitted multiple applications for credit.

I'm not sure if I should call them to negotiate for this.
It does not hurt anything if you want to call.

The computer sees more than 2 applications have submitted.

Sometimes it does that if you have submitted multiple applications from same computer without changing IP address even though the applications are for 2 different SSNs.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:29 am

It does not hurt anything if you want to call.

The computer sees more than 2 applications have submitted.

Sometimes it does that if you have submitted multiple applications from same computer without changing IP address even though the applications are for 2 different SSNs.
I thought the same thing. We are happy with 3 cards now but it's better to have one more 75k thanks for your suggest. I'll update after calling.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:11 pm

Programs: RapidRewards, Hhonors Diamond, AA,WorldPerks
Now what?

Some background:

I applied for and received the Business Visa and the Personal Visa in July 2010. I received the 175K in bonuses for the offers that were live at that time.

I called in July '11 to cancel the AA Personal Visa. I was given a retention offer that I was happy with so I kept the AA Personal Visa.

In July '11, I also called to cancel the Bus. Visa. I was given 2500K miles just for my "consideration" in not closing the account that day.

In mid-late August, the "consideration" miles posted and so I cancelled the AA Bus. card via secured mail (thanks Happy for the tip).

I now want to try my luck again on the Business Card. A little bit about me and my "business" -- I'm an attorney with a traditional employer. I also teach law school as a second gig and do some light consultation work on the side (friend's DUI, demand letters to insurance companies and landlords, etc.). I do not maintain a separate account for my "business." Last time I applied, I got approved for a healthy credit line with no questions asked, but I read this thread diligently, and fear they may be tightening up.

My question is when should I reapply for the maximum possibility of getting approved? Also, I have to apply as a Sole Proprietor and provide my SSN. Last card I called myself SoSiouxme, Esq. Should I call myself SoSiouxme, Attorney at Law, on this app? Does that make any difference? Or will they just ID me by my SSN and my AA number? Also, in your collective opinions, will the fact that I am an attorney and such work does not generally require a brick and mortar operation help me in establishing my "work" as a business? Also, as to the monetary amount, I'm pretty sure that last year, I put my salaries as both my household income and my business revenue. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance. I fear the post man may not ring twice on this Business card, but I'm an optimist.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 1:49 pm

If your city has citi branches, you could always pay your card at the branch counter as well.

I could not believe the poster blamed Citi for all the mishaps seemingly caused by himself - not reading the terms and conditions for the forex fee, and a possible typo of the routing number...

From his other posts in other forum, it seems he had a below 700 score. If he does not pay attention to build his credit history, he would not be able to improve his credit score over time. Hope his bounced payment has not caused a Late Payment on his account ...

See this, it is almost comical now he is so PO'd by Citi's cards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17047922-post8723.html
.................................................. ................................
Sep 3, 11, 11:11 am #8723
factory81

I want the business card....
I have both personal cards, but I want the business card. In 6 months I have had like 5 or 6 hard credit inquiries. I have some dropping off soon, but not enough. 1 for sure, maybe 2.

678 FICO.

I have been denied for popular cards like SPG w/ 30k bonus, HHonors 62,500, Southwest 50k (Chase's let me basically pick 2 credit cards, and I picked priority club and onepass), and most recently the US Airways 40k Barclays card.

This has me on the defensive with my credit score. Everyone is giving me a hard time with the # of inquiries, and expansion in my line of credit. New cards also have brought my average age of credit down to 13 months.

Myquestion to you is would you bother applying for the Citi Business card anytime after say your credit report has had at least 1 hard inquiry come off? I have 11 total hard credit inquiries.

Some from apartment shopping (and reconsidering apartments at the last minute after already paying for a credit check), some hard credit inquiries, an auto-loan.

My "best defense" is the fact that I am an upper middle class American with a considerable amount of cash on hand. This is demonstrated by a $11k auto loan that was paid off in 1 years time. I always make sure to bring up that. How can you not call me credit worthy when I have paid a 11k/3 year loan off in a total of 340 days.

But what do you guys thinks?

edit - In July 2011 I did receive 4 cards. Priority Club Visa, Onepass, and both AA cards.
And if his payment wound up being late due to his entering the routing number wrong, he won't have to worry about getting any other cards for a while.
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Today I applied for Citi AA Business card for the 1st time.
I went thru step 5. I didn't get instant approval(as usual) and even didn't get application/reference #.....
I haven't receive any email for my business card application from Citi so far.
It may be a sign of additional paper work required in the future?
I got Citi AA personal VISA/AMEX back in April and recently got Citi AA Exc MC.
It is 1st time I didn't get any application/refernce #.

Step 5: Final Summary
Thank You!
We appreciate your time and patience in applying for your CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa®. Now, take a moment to print this page for future reference.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Sep 10, 2011 at 3:36 pm
Old Sep 10, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Today I applied for Citi AA Business card for the 1st time.
I went thru step 5. I didn't get instant approval(as usual) and even didn't get application/reference #.....
I haven't receive any email for my business card application from Citi so far.
It mat be a sign of additional paper work required in the future?
I got Citi AA personal VISA/AMEX back in April and recently got Citi AA Exc MC.
It is 1st time I didn't get any application/refernce #.
In general this is Bad News.

If it is Step 3, either denial comes very quick or approval eventually comes in 7 to 10 days.

Step 5 without reference ID or phone number tends to take 2 to 3 weeks before you hear back and normally it is a denial - happened to me, friends and friends spouses in this kind of situation. In one case the Form 4056-T was requested. The 2 credit analyst I talked to, both told me they could not over-ride it because it was a denial based on "policy". The 1st rep tried 2 times each put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back to say Sorry, nothing he could do because it was the "policy" that forbid him to over-ride it. The 2nd rep told me all the info were blacked out for him to see except the one single denial reason.

I would rather have a Step 3 which actually seems to be easier to deal with / get over-turned, than a Step 5 w/o ref id / phone number to call. Why is that? No idea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.