Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Starwood Gold
Business card

I am glad that people are still getting the personal cards. I did the personal cards back when the promo went into effect, but waited until now for the business card. No go on the business card due to too many applications. I called Citibank and they said I could not have a business card as long as I had personal cards (??). They would not approve the business card (and I do have a consulting biz) even if I canceled the personal cards. I know of others who have gotten the business card after the personal card, so it does not sound like they are being very consistent.

Originally Posted by trich
Success!! I relieved two errors on Mon 8/1 and the automated only found the one app on tues 8/2

Just got two emails verifying two different account #'s

I already know the spend amount so not going to tip citi

Just gonna start spending and getting 150k mi

so for those of you wondering yes the links work just take the leep of faith if people keep calling there gonna get wise one of these days get the cards and enjoy the miles
Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelTexan
I am glad that people are still getting the personal cards. I did the personal cards back when the promo went into effect, but waited until now for the business card. No go on the business card due to too many applications. I called Citibank and they said I could not have a business card as long as I had personal cards (??). They would not approve the business card (and I do have a consulting biz) even if I canceled the personal cards. I know of others who have gotten the business card after the personal card, so it does not sound like they are being very consistent.
Seems like a good reason to start closing Citi Cards. Doesn't sound like that's so good for their business.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by TravelTexan
I did the personal cards back when the promo went into effect, but waited until now for the business card. No go on the business card due to too many applications.
Can you be a bit more specific about the dates involved? "Too many applications" normally indicates more than 2 AA card apps in a 60(ish)-day period.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Got confirmation today for the visa and amex that I applied for last Friday,2 for me, 2 for the wife and hopefully 2 biz cards in 65 days. Many thanks to all the veterans and jcmitchell21:-:, for keeping this thread running. For all fellow newbies, read post #2-- all the answers are there!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Sixt Plat, Avis Prez Club, Hertz Prez Circ, Nat'l EE
225,000 miles posted

Hi all, just letting you know that my 2 personal cards and my business card have each posted finally. The process with the CitiBusiness card took a bit longer, as they needed to verify my self-employment and I had several spends to meet.

Here are some useful data points: the day my business card statement closed with having met the spending requirement, I received my final 75k miles. More importantly for me, Amex gift cards did apply to meet the spend on the Visa CitiBusiness card. After reading about it on FT, I had some uncertainty regarding the business cards accepting Amex cards as normal spends, so hopefully this helps.
Most interestingly, for both of my personal cards, I had called to "cancel" (to get referred to retention department.) I have some deals that have not been mentioned. On my Amex personal, I got this: 2 miles for every $1 for up to 10,000 additional bonus miles; must be used up in 6 months.
On my Visa personal, I got this, even bettern IMO: $85 account credit plus 750 bonus miles for every month that I make $750 in new purchases; valid for 12 whole months! The CSRs were amazed when I called back to verify after my first billing cycle. I called to cancel both of these cards in the first month of cardmembership FYI.

For those interested, my fiance and I are going to spend my miles for roundtrip tickets from Austin to Shanghai (AUS/LAX/PVG) for 70,000 each, or 140k total. I'll still have enough left for our honeymoon travels coming up! Unfortunately she only signed up for 1 personal card and has yet to meet the spend, but that is still pretty cool IMO. Almost at 300k lifetime now!

It's nice to be able to post on FT finally. I'll try not to post useless stuff.

Last edited by haarpquake; Aug 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm Reason: added retention bonuses
Old Aug 4, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an additional current reference point - got approved for new card with existing 18+ month old accounts.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:04 pm

Good to know

Originally Posted by haarpquake
Hi all, just letting you know that my 2 personal cards and my business card have each posted finally. The process with the CitiBusiness card took a bit longer, as they needed to verify my self-employment and I had several spends to meet.

Here are some useful data points: the day my business card statement closed with having met the spending requirement, I received my final 75k miles. More importantly for me, Amex gift cards did apply to meet the spend on the Visa CitiBusiness card. After reading about it on FT, I had some uncertainty regarding the business cards accepting Amex cards as normal spends, so hopefully this helps.
Most interestingly, for both of my personal cards, I had called to "cancel" (to get referred to retention department.) I have some deals that have not been mentioned. On my Amex personal, I got this: 2 miles for every $1 for up to 10,000 additional bonus miles; must be used up in 6 months.
On my Visa personal, I got this, even bettern IMO: $85 account credit plus 750 bonus miles for every month that I make $750 in new purchases; valid for 12 whole months! The CSRs were amazed when I called back to verify after my first billing cycle. I called to cancel both of these cards in the first month of cardmembership FYI.

For those interested, my fiance and I are going to spend my miles for roundtrip tickets from Austin to Shanghai (AUS/LAX/PVG) for 70,000 each, or 140k total. I'll still have enough left for our honeymoon travels coming up! Unfortunately she only signed up for 1 personal card and has yet to meet the spend, but that is still pretty cool IMO. Almost at 300k lifetime now!

It's nice to be able to post on FT finally. I'll try not to post useless stuff.
Thank you for sharing!
Old Aug 4, 2011, 3:08 pm

Instant approved for Personal Visa, pending for Personal AMEX. Should have decision by Monday.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by haarpquake
Most interestingly, for both of my personal cards, I had called to "cancel" (to get referred to retention department.) I have some deals that have not been mentioned. On my Amex personal, I got this:
I'd like to suggest that folks post insights/experiences/data points about retention bonuses in the separate thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...all-cards.html , keeping the focus in the current thread on issues relating to the specific offers listed in post #2 (working/broken links, applications denied/accepted, etc).
Old Aug 4, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat /KE mc/OZ Diamond /Marriott gold/ SPG gold
woo thanks for this thread. followed post #2 exactly as stated, got approved for both visa and amex instantly with line of around 14k each.

got the email saying i got approved in about 3 days, and then 2 days later, got the cards. Called to confirm the bonus miles, and was told visa (1.5k 6 months) amex(4k 6 months) as stated in post #2.

time to wait 65 days or so for business card. haha
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:04 pm

wife got instant approval for both the Citi VISA and AMEX.

she's a student and there has been chatter that new regulations are asking for personal income as opposed to household income. no issues this go round for Citibank, but than again she has great a great credit score (780+).

Will wait to apply for the business for her.

I just completed the spend requirement for my business Visa ($1500 spend) and the miles posted to my AA account 2 days after statement closing. Have had the card for two months.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by brown123
Instant approved for Personal Visa, pending for Personal AMEX. Should have decision by Monday.
Same here for my daughter, except instant approval for personal amex while pending for personal visa. I am not sure if it means anything. Perhaps it depends on which browser I pressed first which I do not remember exactly.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 5:56 pm

Question Citibank backing out of their 20,000 bonus miles offer

A few months ago I applied and was approved for a Citibank AAdvantage Visa from the Citibank website with an offer of 20,000 bonus miles after spending $750 in four months. I met that requirement and soon after, I called Citibank to ask when the bonus miles would post to my account. Out of nowhere, they told me that I was never eligible for that offer. I was so confused and tried to explain to the rep that I applied online through their website where it states the offer for the bonus miles on the application page. The rep said that she would file a dispute and get back to me. After a few weeks, I received a letter telling me that I was not eligible because I was an existing cardholder. Uhh, what?! This is my first card from Citibank! I called customer service again and explained to them the situation. Again, the rep said she would file another dispute. The answer I kept getting was, "Sorry, we can't give you the 20,000 bonus miles." I even have the e-mail from Citibank that confirms the bonus miles and yet they don't want to see it! What should I do? This is so frustrating...
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by br.avery
A few months ago I applied and was approved for a Citibank AAdvantage Visa from the Citibank website with an offer of 20,000 bonus miles after spending $750 in four months. I met that requirement and soon after, I called Citibank to ask when the bonus miles would post to my account. Out of nowhere, they told me that I was never eligible for that offer. I was so confused and tried to explain to the rep that I applied online through their website where it states the offer for the bonus miles on the application page. The rep said that she would file a dispute and get back to me. After a few weeks, I received a letter telling me that I was not eligible because I was an existing cardholder. Uhh, what?! This is my first card from Citibank! I called customer service again and explained to them the situation. Again, the rep said she would file another dispute. The answer I kept getting was, "Sorry, we can't give you the 20,000 bonus miles." I even have the e-mail from Citibank that confirms the bonus miles and yet they don't want to see it! What should I do? This is so frustrating...

I'm also a little confused as to why you had applied for 20k miles when 75k AA Citicard offers are still active?
20k card offers were the standard going back over 2-3 years ago.

If you are truly a 1st time card applicant and did the spend then you could call again and speak to someone higher up (supervisor) and if that fails then need to write a letter to corp. office.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA (Executive Platinum), SPG, BA Executive Club, Hilton (Gold), Hyatt (Platinum)
If I were you, I'd fwd that email any way using the online e-mail system at citicards.com. If that still doesn't help and you've detailed your conversations with the reps, then, I would escalate it. Ultimately, if you escalate it to the right people with an executive bomb, I find it almost always works.

...Odd that they would think you were a previous citicard holder though if you're not and have never been...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.