Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A copy of your Schedule C would work.
How do I file schedule C without earning or losing profit?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 5:47 pm
Original Member

I seek your very recent experience applying for this card.

On September 14 one of my readers reported that he used my link to the application, filled out the form, and then got a system error. He said he tried this on both an Internet Explorer and a Firefox browser, with the same result. He then said he called American Airlines at 800-882-8880, got a very nasty response from the rep at the other end of the line, but was eventually connected to someone who took his application.

If you have tried to apply for this card within the last few days, please report here whether or not you have had a similar experience.

Thanks.

P.S. Hmm... I tried deleting the prospect id part of the URL (&ProspectID=471C3769F28146959C9BDD54D1EE586B). I got to the same page with a different prospect ID. I wonder... Anyway, I have eliminated the prospect ID from the link on my website.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgary
On September 14 one of my readers reported that he used my link to the application, filled out the form, and then got a system error. He said he tried this on both an Internet Explorer and a Firefox browser, with the same result. He then said he called American Airlines at 800-882-8880, got a very nasty response from the rep at the other end of the line, but was eventually connected to someone who took his application.

If you have tried to apply for this card within the last few days, please report here whether or not you have had a similar experience.

Thanks.

P.S. Hmm... I tried deleting the prospect id part of the URL (&ProspectID=471C3769F28146959C9BDD54D1EE586B). I got to the same page with a different prospect ID. I wonder... Anyway, I have eliminated the prospect ID from the link on my website.
Well, I just tried your link above, then deleted the prospect ID part of the URL, copying the resulting URL, closed the window (but not the browser), opened a new window, pasted the URL, hit return, and the website came up with no new prospect ID added. (Ie, it didn't redirect to a different URL with a prospect ID, it just brought up the app landing page leaving the trimmed URL alone.) FWIW, this was in FF 3.5.11.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 7:43 pm

Questions

Dear All:

Many of you have been very helpful to me---thanks again.

I do have a couple of questions/comments. I too, like everyone else I suppose, is very intrigued by this offer. For several years, however, I and my wife were Citi churners (personal cards only) and I have recieved declines on my last 3 personal apps in the last 8 months. I do not have my own business--I work for an organization.

Here goes with my questions:

1. I always thought that it would be highly illegal to apply for a business credit card. However, from what I am reading (below) it might be ok. Could someone verify this?

2. Have any long time personal credit card churner's been successful in applying for this card via the business card route?

3. I suppose if its legal to open a business credit card, I suppose that my wife and I can both do so.

Any further help you can give me would be very much appreciated.

ddfr

I know people do a lot of stupid things in the persuit of miles but creating a tax id number with the IRS to create a shill company to get miles is going way too far. You only need to claim sole propriotorship and use your social security number. Making a tax id number will get the IRS wondering why you didnt claim any business income, and do you really want to risk an audit for a few miles? DONT EVER DO THIS!!!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, I just tried your link above, then deleted the prospect ID part of the URL, copying the resulting URL, closed the window (but not the browser), opened a new window, pasted the URL, hit return, and the website came up with no new prospect ID added. (Ie, it didn't redirect to a different URL with a prospect ID, it just brought up the app landing page leaving the trimmed URL alone.) FWIW, this was in FF 3.5.11.
You may want to click on the Apply button to see if it would bring up the application form. The landing page means nothing unless you can go to the application form from there.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pgary

Thanks.

He should NOT call AA - this is offered by CITI the bank, not American the airline.

If you read several pages upthread you will find posts about getting system errors but the applications apparently still have gone through.

In any case your reader should have called Citi card instead of AA. Also if you read upthread, these offers are NOT available for phone applications, only through online applications. I am afraid your reader may wound up getting the 30K version instead...
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by ddfr
1. I always thought that it would be highly illegal to apply for a business credit card. However, from what I am reading (below) it might be ok. Could someone verify this?
If you create a business out of thin air for the purposes of getting this card, then you have probably crossed the line of legality. Many of us, however, really do have our own businesses (virtually all of my income has been via Schedule C for the past 15 years), so there is no pretense with us.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Originally Posted by Happy
You should call and ask to speak to supervisor or manager to discuss the reasons given and if needed, offer to lower credit limits on your other citi cards. (if you dont mind that).
Thanks for your suggestion but I already did call so many times and spoke to supervisor so when I called for last time recently they are telling me "hey you already spoke to a supervisor, just give up..."
Any suggestion if I should try for the Amex after the 60 days?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:53 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by dhuey
If you create a business out of thin air for the purposes of getting this card, then you have probably crossed the line of legality.
And, here I thought creating businesses out of thin air was what the American economic system encouraged. Didn't two guys named Steve start a little biz in a garage near SF out of thin air?

In any event, you do not have to have income to have a business. All businesses start out with no income.

Over the many years I have worked (legally, I may add) I have seen many folks do shoestring start ups and eventually make money, some of them, lots of money.

And, reading some of the credit card threads on FT will show that many, many FTers have gotten biz cards using their SSNs and a startup biz name; whether or not they have related income or expenses. The biz card issuer relies on your PERSONAL credit, not the non-existent credit of your new biz.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Sep 16, 2010 at 12:42 am
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:17 am

So I posted a question on this thread a couple days ago, but didnt seem to get any responses.

I was wondering how my credit is affected if I were to, say, cancel a card within 10-11 months of having the card(s). I am even willing to have it for the second year and pay the fees, but after that it would be a little bit more difficult on me due to the annual fees. I googled this question a little bit and all the answers I found were that canceling a credit card for any reason will hurt your credit, which is the exact reason I am getting a card (or two) in the first place (to start building one.)

Any advice? Are there ways of canceling a card and having it not affect your credit?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
And, here I thought creating businesses out of thin air was what the American economic system encouraged. Didn't two guys named Steve start a little biz in a garage near SF out of thin air?

In any event, you do not have to have income to have a business. All businesses start out with no income.

Over the many years I have worked (legally, I may add) I have seen many folks do shoestring start ups and eventually make money, some of them, lots of money.

And, reading some of the credit card threads on FT will show that many, many FTers have gotten biz cards using their SSNs and a startup biz name; whether or not they have related income or expenses. The biz card issuer relies on your PERSONAL credit, not the non-existent credit of your new biz.
I wonder if Citi will approve thr biz card if u just started ur biz and has $0 earning...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by biggestbopper
I'm not sure what you mean by "startup biz name", but there have been many reports on FT of people getting dinged for applying for credit under a bogus or fictitious name. Obviously, fraud is not legal.

On the other hand, people have repeatedly been successful applying for business cards using their legal name and SSN.
Also, many people who work for a big organization have to lay out money for travel expenses, etc. as employees, then submit receipts for reimbursement. This is easier done by using a biz card and keeping biz expenses segregated, so one need not even have their own business.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by goneblowitup
So I posted a question on this thread a couple days ago, but didnt seem to get any responses.

I was wondering how my credit is affected if I were to, say, cancel a card within 10-11 months of having the card(s). I am even willing to have it for the second year and pay the fees, but after that it would be a little bit more difficult on me due to the annual fees. I googled this question a little bit and all the answers I found were that canceling a credit card for any reason will hurt your credit, which is the exact reason I am getting a card (or two) in the first place (to start building one.)

Any advice? Are there ways of canceling a card and having it not affect your credit?
I have heard consumer report types say on the air that when you cancel a credit card, be sure and request the bank state that the acct has been closed by customer request or something to that effect. The main thing is for the bank NOT to imply that it was a bank initiated action. I'm not speaking from experience, just from what I remember so-called credit card guru types say on radio shows, newspaper columns, etc. Somebody else---please chime in.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:33 am

Just got the business card! Combined with the two personal cards (my wife & me), this means...

300,000 bonus miles!

Viva FlyerTalk!
Dang! Bon Voyage(s)!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:36 am

Just got the business card! Combined with the two personal cards (my wife & me), this means...

300,000 bonus miles!

Viva FlyerTalk!
^^ Hopefully I can get this last business card and hit the 325K mark

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.