[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jrjcopp
I applied for the 100K Business Visa. I had a Citi Business AA MC from 02-04 and from 08-09. I had to call twice to get approval and received only a $1000 credit line.

Charged $950 the first month and received the 50K bonus already. So I'll just make sure I charge $990/month for 11 months to get my second 50K miles. (Or ask for a credit increase after 6 mos!)
Or instead of worrying about doing that...you can pay off the credit card mid-month so you can get double use of that credit line. My wife also got a small AMEX line ($1000 as well) and that's what we're doing to get the bonus.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Smidget
Or instead of worrying about doing that...you can pay off the credit card mid-month so you can get double use of that credit line. My wife also got a small AMEX line ($1000 as well) and that's what we're doing to get the bonus.

They wouldn't let me do that! At least not during the first month I had the card. I'm paying the first month today. Tomorrow I'll make another charge and try to pay for that before the statement date.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:32 am
Suspended

They wouldn't let me do that! At least not during the first month I had the card. I'm paying the first month today. Tomorrow I'll make another charge and try to pay for that before the statement date.
After the first month you can pay (online) up to 4 times per billing period.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:46 am

Did you just try online? I asked the message center if I could pay early and they said you would have to do it by phone before you could do it online if you didn't get your first statement yet. Just a heads up for everyone else!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:08 am

Credit Limit

If you have the visa card w/o the preset spending limit, then after six months you should be able to go over the credit limit each month w/o penalty.

The ability to charge beyond your spending limit on the no preset spending limit cards is based upon your prior use of the card. On one of my cards, I can spend $50k w/ my $6k credit limit. The ability to go beyond your spending limit is based on the use of the individual card. I got a new citi card that I tried to go over the limit w/ on the second month and they said no go--even though I can go $44k over on other card.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
I got rejected for the personal card because too many inquiry on my report on 8/17, and the previous pulls were on 6/6, 5/28 and 4/20. My credit score is close to 750.
I just pull my own credit report and I do have multiple credit inquiries for credit cards, my problem is that they have all of my history of credit pull and I tought they would "fall" off your credit report after a while.

My question is how long do I need to wait before applying? how long before citi consider a pull old enough not to count it against you?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:22 am

Pay from your bank

Originally Posted by Smidget
Did you just try online? I asked the message center if I could pay early and they said you would have to do it by phone before you could do it online if you didn't get your first statement yet. Just a heads up for everyone else!

All you have to do is initiate the payment from your bank instead of Citi's website. I went into my bank's online bill pay and made a payment 3 days after I activated the card and payment was showing in account 48 hours later. I have a habit of making more than 4 payments a month and have never had any problem.

BTW - your Citi account should have a dropdown for the payment address
Old Sep 9, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, BA, DL, UA
I applied for Business Visa and got to step 5. Called the number and the lady told me it will take a few days to have a decision. Does it mean it's dead?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by nic3456
I went into my bank's online bill pay and made a payment 3 days after I activated the card and payment was showing in account 48 hours later.
It's definitely YMMV, but overpayment (NOT prepayment - pay the balance that has already posted to the account) sometimes may trigger a red-flag. Citi seems to not care too much about this, but AMEX and Chase do. There are long discussions in the AMEX and Chase threads. So just make sure this doesn't apply across the board.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by keithwang
I applied for Business Visa and got to step 5. Called the number and the lady told me it will take a few days to have a decision. Does it mean it's dead?
No. It means what she said, they haven't decided (there may be a backlog). If they wanted to reject they would have rejected: banks are not in the business of protecting our feelings.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by david-alexis

My question is how long do I need to wait before applying? how long before citi consider a pull old enough not to count it against you?
Back in the days of churning you could have 6 inquiries in a 6 month period. Number 7 (or more) in the most recent 6 months and Citi would instantly reject.

You could also apply for 2 personal cards every 6 days or more. So best to apply for both on the same day as it would generate only 1 credit pull, and your counter would be 60 days from that point (waiting a few days for the second personal card reset your 60 day counter). Business cards were 1 every 90 days... but note that the personal and business cards affected each others counters (I'm forgetting exactly how it worked since churning has been unavailable for a while).

Also note that the 60/90 day rules were based on 'application' not 'approval'.

No, it means that 'it will take a few days to have a decision'.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Yes.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by PantyWaster
Yes.
No
Old Sep 9, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: WN CP, SPG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Stoughton
After the first month you can pay (online) up to 4 times per billing period.
Is this confirmed? When I spoke with them a few months ago they said it was 3 times per month for each card. Has it changed recently?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
[QUOTE=thehawk75;14628785]Back in the days of churning you could have 6 inquiries in a 6 month period. Number 7 (or more) in the most recent 6 months and Citi would instantly reject.

You could also apply for 2 personal cards every 6 days or more. So best to apply for both on the same day as it would generate only 1 credit pull, and your counter would be 60 days from that point (waiting a few days for the second personal card reset your 60 day counter). Business cards were 1 every 90 days... but note that the personal and business cards affected each others counters (I'm forgetting exactly how it worked since churning has been unavailable for a while).

Also note that the 60/90 day rules were based on 'application' not 'approval'.

Can you elaborate, basically you cannot have one pull in the last 60 days in order to get approved?

When I checked my report I found the following:
Experian credit pull (for cc) on 8/17 (the citi AA that got rejected), 5/28, 4/20, 4/7 and 4/1
Transunion: citi 6/6

Therefore I did not have any credit pull within the 60 days you mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.