Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Chase Continental OnePass Plus - 25k+5k+$50

Chase Continental OnePass Plus - 25k+5k+$50

Old Sep 18, 10, 11:18 am

Game Over this Time?

The wife just applied for this Chase Continental OnePass Plus a moment ago. We both did the Chase United 50k promo back in early May. No other chase cards since.

... She got the dreaded "pending review, hear back within 10 days" webpage after submitting. (Uh Oh!) Is that page a standard for Chase, or can expect a lovely denial letter.

I was hoping to have her sign up for the Chase United 25k card today as well, but I suppose it's best to wait and see how this pans out.

On that note, is one more likely to get 2 cards (different cards, same bank) by applying the same day so the credit hits are at same time? Or better off waiting for each one to get approved?
Old Sep 18, 10, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by tzoom84 View Post
Is one more likely to get 2 cards (different cards, same bank) by applying the same day so the credit hits are at same time? Or better off waiting for each one to get approved?
I am in the same situation and have been wondering the same thing.

And I have a similar type of question: Would it be a good idea to cancel a Chase card that I currently have (the BA card - which I have had for 10 months and will cancel soon anyway) before I apply for a new Chase card (the Continental card)? Would canceling one Chase card just before applying for a different Chase card likely help to get approved, or would it probably make approval less likely?

(Of course I am keeping in mind that YMMV, but am interested in others' views on this.)
Old Sep 18, 10, 2:55 pm

I had the "pending review" message last week when I applied. I called in right away and the rep told me it was declined for too many inquiries and cards currently open. I got the MP select card earlier this year. At the end I got this 1Pass+ after I agreed with cancellation of one of my other chase cards and decrease of my credit line. There is tradeoff.

I would suggest your wife to call, ask, and probably negotiate with the rep and see how it goes.

The wife just applied for this Chase Continental OnePass Plus a moment ago. We both did the Chase United 50k promo back in early May. No other chase cards since.

... She got the dreaded "pending review, hear back within 10 days" webpage after submitting. (Uh Oh!) Is that page a standard for Chase, or can expect a lovely denial letter.

I was hoping to have her sign up for the Chase United 25k card today as well, but I suppose it's best to wait and see how this pans out.

On that note, is one more likely to get 2 cards (different cards, same bank) by applying the same day so the credit hits are at same time? Or better off waiting for each one to get approved?
Old Sep 19, 10, 12:00 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
I would suggest your wife to call, ask, and probably negotiate with the rep and see how it goes.
I second this.
Old Sep 19, 10, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by nydad View Post
I second this.
Sounds good! We tried calling immediately after
the application yesterday but
the CSR had no further information. Perhaps it was too soon or just called thr wrong number. I'll try again today
Old Sep 19, 10, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by msp2msy View Post
...as shown here:http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...?offer=OPP30AUI stripped off a few items from the URL that could be trackers back to me (I might take this offer before the CO/United merger) but the offer code seems to be key.
This link brings up a http (not the more secure https) application page.
Old Sep 19, 10, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by muji View Post
This link brings up a http (not the more secure https) application page.
An s can be inserted to create an https link which will then open.

https://www.continental.com/web/en-U...?offer=OPP30AU
Old Sep 25, 10, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Nelumbo View Post
I had the "pending review" message last week when I applied. I called in right away and the rep told me it was declined for too many inquiries and cards currently open. I got the MP select card earlier this year. At the end I got this 1Pass+ after I agreed with cancellation of one of my other chase cards and decrease of my credit line. There is tradeoff.
Nelumbo: Per your suggestion, I did exactly this for both my wife's application and my application. So just for two more data points, SUCCESS for both of us! We were in the same situation as you. We both had United MP visa cards from May. They said we needed to close those to open this, no credit line change (just direct transfer), and we accepted.

Also, for those who plan on calling them. The direct number to their lending department to discuss denial is 1-888-609-7805. If you call the main CSR line, they will give you false information claiming that such department doesn't exist and that you must wait for a letter, etc, etc.

Now that makes me wonder if these days one can only ever have one Chase credit card of ANY kind (for every ~6 months) based on these experiences. That'd be a shame since the MAJORITY of the credit card offers right now are through Chase.
Old Sep 25, 10, 11:38 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Nelumbo: Per your suggestion, I did exactly this for both my wife's application and my application. So just for two more data points, SUCCESS for both of us! We were in the same situation as you. We both had United MP visa cards from May. They said we needed to close those to open this, no credit line change (just direct transfer), and we accepted.
Aren't you afraid that the Chase will take your United bonus miles back ? I think the United CC terms are that the account must be open for at least 6 months.
Old Sep 25, 10, 11:39 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Does anybody know if this is going to be the last week to apply for this card ? I mean with the planned merger, will they stop this offer on October 1st ?
Old Sep 25, 10, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Aren't you afraid that the Chase will take your United bonus miles back ? I think the United CC terms are that the account must be open for at least 6 months.
I'm less worried because they were the ones who recommended/initiated the close. Even if it was a problem, those United miles have long been spent.
Old Sep 25, 10, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM; UA Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Went to Chase this am to open a checking account and to make a long story short, my wife (stay at home mom) was instantly approved for this card. I, on the other hand was previously denied as I am not a first time applicant. The funny thing is that we decided to get out of the credit card game and go to cash back - but yet again we are sucked back in.
Old Sep 25, 10, 1:40 pm

Congratulations!

Usually you can get the sign-up bonus for only one time for one kind of Chase credit cards

Also, for those who plan on calling them. The direct number to their lending department to discuss denial is 1-888-609-7805. If you call the main CSR line, they will give you false information claiming that such department doesn't exist and that you must wait for a letter, etc, etc.

Now that makes me wonder if these days one can only ever have one Chase credit card of ANY kind (for every ~6 months) based on these experiences. That'd be a shame since the MAJORITY of the credit card offers right now are through Chase.
Old Sep 25, 10, 2:00 pm

I'm less worried because they were the ones who recommended/initiated the close. Even if it was a problem, those United miles have long been spent.
LOL!!!

And that takes care of that!

On another note, I applied for the Continental and Sapphire same day (both Chase) and then the United a couple days later. I received my Co right away, they didn't even acknowledge that I applied for the Sapphire, and they flat out rejected me for United unless I wanted to cancel the Continental. The rep said I could try to reapply after a month but there's no guarantee that I would get accepted.

I'm still thinking if I should reapply for the United since it's been over a month now -- and I would really like miles for a trip to Singapore in Feb. But then again, I'm wondering if I should hold out in case a better offer comes along once they merge. Hmm.
Old Sep 29, 10, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Anyone have any info regarding whether or not this offer will still be available through October (and beyond)?

I am currently sitting on a bunch of inquiries, including one from Chase for the UA 50K in late April so I'd prefer to wait at least another month before putting in an application for this CO card...but obviously if the offer is gonna be yanked I might as well give it a shot now

EDIT: I just read in the CO 25K checking promo thread that Chase will no longer be offering the CO debit card as of Oct 1st so this makes me think that the credit card offer also stands a pretty good chance of being yanked at month end...

Nonetheless, any info or thoughts are welcome!

Last edited by HoKo; Sep 29, 10 at 12:03 pm Reason: Read info in another thread that might be pertinent

Search this Thread
Search Engine: