Wiki Posts
Search

Selling Miles- how?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
... you'd do better to get a cash-back card in the first place.
Agreed, but if I understand the assignment correctly our hypothetical cardholder didn't think of this until after accumulating 10 million Membership Rewards points. Even in the case of Membership REwards it would be better to redeem for merchant giftcards at $0.01 per point and sell the cards for a slight discount.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Why not just redeem for the Amex gift cards and then spend them as you wish, like buy money orders and deposit them at your bank.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: All of em...
Originally Posted by mrpickles
Why not just redeem for the Amex gift cards and then spend them as you wish, like buy money orders and deposit them at your bank.
Where can you buy money orders with AMEX, or any plastic, for that matter?
Whenever I've bought money orders, plastic was not accepted.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
example:
higher status DL members can convert directly to gift cards at 1 mile= 1 cent. Sell thse to Plastic Jungle/Ebay/etc and your 10 million miles become $70,000+.
AFAIK, this has nothing to do with medallion status and everything to do with having a DL Gold/Platinum/Reserve card. When I checked last time only members having one of the above CC were given a option for redeeming for GC. A member with a Gold Medallion status but without the above CC didn't seem to have that option.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
I didn't know that you needed a CC, but I do have one of the above. 2 weeks ago I cashed in 100,000 miles for $1,000 in Amex gift cards and have been using them for purchases(home improvements, gas, entertainment, etc.). Used $400 so far and will use the rest to pay for hotel on next trip. I don't know how long it would take to spend $100,000 Amex cards but I'm willing to try. LOL good luck
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Back in the 80's I sold probably close to 2,000,000 miles for $1500 per 100k, I wasn't proud of it and knew it was wrong but I needed the $30k. Got a call from the infamous Leo Holden who told me "I know you're selling miles if you do it one more time I'll kick you out of the program"; that ended it for me. The problem was the guy buying my miles always seemed to pick passengers from India with 20 vowels in their name, wasn't too hard for Leo to figure that out. As previous posters have mentioned if you have extra miles in 100k incriments it shouldn't be that hard to find a family member who wants to fly internatonal Business Class at a good price.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
Selling miles is against the policy of almost all airlines, but bartering miles is not. I discussed this in my blog post here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...trading-miles/. My suggestions would be to post on forums such as Coupon Connection here on FT and other similar forums to see who is willing to barter awards redeemed using miles by you for what they may be able to give to you in return. A round trip US-SIN in exchange for an iPhone 4 anyone?
My understanding is that bartering also falls into the same category as selling miles. In your iphone example, that is the same as someone giving you $600 for a ticket, but instead of cash it is goods.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:20 pm

All those taking the moral high ground, did you know it is illegal to drive over the speed limit?
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
All those taking the moral high ground, did you know it is illegal to drive over the speed limit?
I dont think anyone here takes any moral high ground.

There is RISK associating selling your miles as it is a clear violation of the program rules and if caught, your account would be confiscated by the airlines and you lost everything in it. The persons who have tickets redeemed using your miles would be stopped at the boarding gate.

The above is no joke. Actually happened to an FTer I know just a few months ago - all 350K AA miles lost. Banned for life from AAdvantage.

Better educate yourself of this matter just for your own good before you make fun at others.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Happy
The above is no joke. Actually happened to an FTer I know just a few months ago - all 350K AA miles lost. Banned for life from AAdvantage.
Multiple examples of AA taking action here:
Thinking of trading/selling miles/VIPs-- think twice
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I would like to buy 500k us dividend miles. What site do I go to?
If that is not possible is it then possible for someone to buy me the plane tickets and I give them the money ? Or is that unsafe

Thanks
Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
If that is not possible is it then possible for someone to buy me the plane tickets and I give them the money ? Or is that unsafe
You're going to give someone you've never met thousands of dollars to buy you a mileage ticket? What's to stop them from cancelling the ticket the minute you walk away? How would you prove the transaction took place? Complaining to the airline won't do you any good as they don't allow sale of award tickets in their program terms. They're not going to help you out.

Around here we have perpetual Craig's List victim that go into unsavory neighborhoods to sell their computers and cars. They get robbed and don't make a cent. Be careful you're not going into one of those neighborhoods.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
I didnt know once they book and pay for the ticket it was possible to cancell. Maybe best thing is to purchase the miles.
Can I buy miles from another member and they transfer into my accout? Say I offer $5,000 for 500k miles is it possible for them to transfer or even gift that amount of miles into my account and I pay them like Paypal that way I also have some sort of protection ,right ?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by SurveyHand
A company I once worked for offered 50% of the cost of an economy ticket in cash if we used our FF miles for flights. I redeemed 25,000 points for a return YEG - IAH and put $1000 in my pocket.
I just finished a J award ticket on QF to Australia for business reasons. I am able to get refunded by the employer for the whole amount even though I used miles (125k for J r/t). This netted me about 10 cents a mile.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Happy
I dont think anyone here takes any moral high ground.

There is RISK associating selling your miles as it is a clear violation of the program rules and if caught, your account would be confiscated by the airlines and you lost everything in it. The persons who have tickets redeemed using your miles would be stopped at the boarding gate.

Better educate yourself of this matter just for your own good before you make fun at others.
~deleted~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.