Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Fidelity bonus offers for all airlines

[Consolidated] Fidelity bonus offers for all airlines

Old Jun 23, 2010, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by LH2004
The point is, moving money you want to keep safe to BankDirect costs something, in the form of lower interest rates; it's the right move if your value of 1.2 miles/year is lower than the lost interest per dollar (with appropriate tax adjustment). Moving investments you otherwise want to hold to Fidelity costs nothing beyond, maybe, a couple of $8 trades and any fee you'll pay to leave your current broker.

If you have $100,000 in the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund sitting at Vanguard, you can move that to $100,000 in the Vanguard Target Retirement 2040 Fund at Fidelity, get exactly the same investment returns and get 50,000 miles. That's miles for nothing but filling out some forms; you should do it even if miles are barely worth anything at all to you. If you have $100,000 sitting in a decent-yield bank account somewhere, and you're thinking about moving that to BankDirect, you have to do some math on whether it's a smart move; the math is going to be pretty easy if your value is above $.02 a mile, but not if it's in the neighborhood of $.01.

I'm not saying you should move your wealth out of a checking account and start trading options just to get the Fidelity miles -- though I do wonder how many people have a real need to keep a 6-figure sum in absolutely risk-free savings.

Ha, risk-free. Whoever is keeping extra cash in CDs has lost circa 25% of purchasing power in the last year alone courtesy of quantitative easing. LOL.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by psyflyer
Ha, risk-free. Whoever is keeping extra cash in CDs has lost circa 25% of purchasing power in the last year alone courtesy of quantitative easing. LOL.
While completely OT, I'd love to hear the explanation for this statement. Is this some type of veiled reference to the appreciation in gold over the past year?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:52 am
In memoriam

Don't OMNI this thread. @:-)
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: starwood and american airlines
Originally Posted by frankiwa
I meant with respect to the previous 25,000 mile offers. I'm sure if u could remove money earlier than the t&C suggest with the 25k offer, it will likely work with the 50k offer.
As I stated above i got screwed. wait until your miles post until you drain your account. according to fidelity you must keep the account open for 6 months with the monies from the initial deposit. so i opened the account with 10k so i needed to keep 10k in the account for 6 months in order to receive all of my miles. this was the old offer but i will assume it applies to the new offer as it has the same T&C. they are also taking longer to post miles and i would call them and verify that in fact you are signed up for the promotion as the confirmation email does not mean anything. once you get the miles and then you drain account i am not sure if there is anything they could really do.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahoney100
As I stated above i got screwed. wait until your miles post until you drain your account. according to fidelity you must keep the account open for 6 months with the monies from the initial deposit. so i opened the account with 10k so i needed to keep 10k in the account for 6 months in order to receive all of my miles. this was the old offer but i will assume it applies to the new offer as it has the same T&C. they are also taking longer to post miles and i would call them and verify that in fact you are signed up for the promotion as the confirmation email does not mean anything. once you get the miles and then you drain account i am not sure if there is anything they could really do.
Well said.

For those who try to play the in and out game should take note of this.

The fact they raised the amount required to earn the bonus, and the time lapsed has significantly extended from previous offers, should be a strong hint that the previous approach to scam it probably would not work this time.

This current deal would work the best for those who have stocks or mutual funds held in other brokerage houses and take the transfer route to move assets to Fido. And this is EXACTLY fido wants to achieve.

By lengthening the time needed to send the bonus miles, it allows Fido to monitor the account activities and to enforce the T&Cs which in the past was not enforced.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:01 pm

If I close my current Fidelity account, am I eligible for this promotion?
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedLancer
If I close my current Fidelity account, am I eligible for this promotion?
Nope - but if you have a big enough balance, you might persuade them to give you the miles as a good customer bonus.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 2:34 pm

I already signed up for 25k offer. I'm hoping to have the wife sign up for this 50k offer.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
Nope - but if you have a big enough balance, you might persuade them to give you the miles as a good customer bonus.
How would you recommend to aproach that conversation? Would I be better off to speak with a supervisor or write them?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnscout
How would you recommend to aproach that conversation? Would I be better off to speak with a supervisor or write them?
I haven't tried it - I'm not a big Fido customer - but AFAIK, you'd have to have a personal rep there to pull it off. If you're big enough for a personal rep, then you've got a shot.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: SWA CP, AA Gold 1mm, UA, CO
Just signed up last week for the program w/ fidelity. Transferred in portion of the money. First batch already posted to my AA account -- less than a week turnaround. Nice.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by mgirdley
Just signed up last week for the program w/ fidelity. Transferred in portion of the money. First batch already posted to my AA account -- less than a week turnaround. Nice.
Wow, that's fast. T & C says 8 weeks. I opened my account yesterday, will transfer some bonds in soon.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Wow, that's fast. T & C says 8 weeks. I opened my account yesterday, will transfer some bonds in soon.
They are very quick to post miles once you hit a milestone. It took a few days for my miles to post.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgirdley
Can you tell us how much for how much? Was it the complete promised number of miles for your dollar amount?

TD Ameritrade does it in staggered amounts, so I'm wondering if Fidelity is switching to that model.
Old Jun 29, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
I registered for this offer last week. Today I received a call from Fidelity informing me that I was not eligible for the offer because I already have a Fidelity mutual fund account.

I was under the impression that I was eligible for the offer as long as I have never had a Fidelity brokerage account.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.