Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

How many Chase C.C.'s can you have at one time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2010, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering, how many Chase credit cards can you have at any one time? I got the BA visa in November and the Continental Airlines Mastercard in March, and now I am wanting to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I have excellant credit with a 790 credit score, but have heard that Chase does not like you to have more than two of their cards at any one time. Any information about your experiences with Chase would be appreciated.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:23 pm

I have 4 cards with Chase. About 2-3 months ago, I applied for BA Chase card. They lower the credit line from my current card and approved me the BA card.
Old May 24, 2010, 1:52 pm

as many as you want

I just closed my Chase Freedom card because they changed it from a 3% cash back card to some crazy points scheme...and when I applied for the United card they told me no, and when i called to find out why they said I could have the United card if I closed my Freedom card. Rebalancing was not an option....they gave me the United card, but left the freedom card open ( i paid the balance but when i called to close it the payment hadnt posted on their screen yet, so they kept it open and approved the united card) they told me I could close it later....so after vacation I managed to get my last $50 cash back check from the freedom card and called to close it. The guy says you dont have to close it...I said they told me twice that was my only option. Nope he says you can keep it if you want.....pissed me off.
so anyway I ask him how many cards can I have at one time because this was the first time i have ever been denied and was told rebalancing was not an option, I had to close one of my 2 existing cards...the guy says nope, you can have as many cards at one time as you want. The only other reason I can think of is I opened a chase Sapphire card less than a month earlier...so you can have as many as you like, just space the apps out at least 30 days.
Old May 24, 2010, 3:01 pm

I have one (United) and recently applied for the Marriott card. They approved me but said they were going to close my sony rewards account, which I got for a single promotion several years ago and never have used since. As it turns, out, though, they did not actually close the Sony account but instead reduced the credit line.

So, I have 3, but one with a very low credit limit.
Old May 24, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I also have 4 (Marriott, BA, United, Continental). My wife is less aggressive, and has 2 of her own.

My credit score is in the same range as the OP. After the first 2 cards, cards #3 and #4 were approved by sharing the credit line (lowering the credit maximum on the first 2 cards to make room for additional cards).

I've had the Marriott card for several years. I added Continental around Oct 2009, BA in Feb 2010, and United at the end of April 2010.

Chase is winning. Citibank has gotten so much tighter about granting new cards, so I am using my various Chase cards more and more.
Old May 24, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
I have 3 Chase, 4 Citi, and 6 Amex.
Old May 24, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
6 Chase cards. Had to shut one down (Freedom card - that they gave $250 to open) to get the UA 50K card.
Old May 25, 2010, 3:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Currently 4 Chase + others - but this is about Chase.
Only had one for the longest time - then found FT!
Got the CO card in Jan, BA card in Feb, and UA in May. Sign-up miles posted very quickly; 30k, 100k, 50k (in order). No fee on the CO and UA for the first year, figured the BA 100k was worth $75 - hope they live long enough for me to use. All miles cards have 5 digit limits.
Old May 25, 2010, 4:45 am

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
chase CC

Originally Posted by Mirage777
I was wondering, how many Chase credit cards can you have at any one time? I got the BA visa in November and the Continental Airlines Mastercard in March, and now I am wanting to get the Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I have excellant credit with a 790 credit score, but have heard that Chase does not like you to have more than two of their cards at any one time. Any information about your experiences with Chase would be appreciated.
However, I think you can only get approved for one card every 6 Months.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by traveldealer
However, I think you can only get approved for one card every 6 Months.
I see this quoted often in other threads. Does not seem to be in sync with reality; heck, see the post right above! Just to clarify - these were all this year.
Old May 25, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: avis president , national executive, hertz presidents, delta platinum, spg platinum
CC

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
I see this quoted often in other threads. Does not seem to be in sync with reality; heck, see the post right above! Just to clarify - these were all this year.
thanks , i read them , but just 2 weeks ago i got denied for a chase card and the rep told me it was b/c i got a chase cc within the past 6 months, i guess its just hit or miss
Old May 25, 2010, 6:08 am

Geeez, my hat is off to all of you who can keep track of all these credit cards. Especially, stay on top of the monthly statements and pay before the due date. Also, knowing where they physically are--do some of you actually carry them around in your purse/billfold? Gawd, some of the billfolds I see these days are thick as a brick. But, for me, the main thing is staying on top of keeping the cards active and not missing a monthly statement payment. What we need is something like one of those universal remotes where everything is on one device. You know, one single card on which are all one's cc accts. (I could lose some bulk/weight w/o even having to go on a diet.)
Old May 25, 2010, 6:21 am

I have 6 personal and 0 business cards with Chase, as I did when I applied for my latest card with them (targeted Southwest 32 credits for first use deal). Chase insisted that I already had the maximum number of cards allowed and had to close one of them, and was told not good enough to move credit line from an existing card account for the new card account.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by traveldealer
thanks , i read them , but just 2 weeks ago i got denied for a chase card and the rep told me it was b/c i got a chase cc within the past 6 months, i guess its just hit or miss
Seems to be the pat refusal line that Chase likes to use to brush some folks off. Do you have other Chase cards? There seems to be a good number of cardholders that have got another by re-distributing their credit lines.
Old May 25, 2010, 6:29 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by Mirage777
I have 5, with about 80k in available credit, plus a few other bank cards and my last application for a Chase card was declined with the reason cited being the number of open Chase accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.