FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   MilesBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz-370/)
-   -   How many Chase C.C.'s can you have at one time? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milesbuzz/1088686-how-many-chase-c-c-s-can-you-have-one-time.html)

Surface Interval May 25, 2010 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Tailgater (Post 14018610)
Geeez, my hat is off to all of you who can keep track of all these credit cards. Especially, stay on top of the monthly statements and pay before the due date. Also, knowing where they physically are--do some of you actually carry them around in your purse/billfold? Gawd, some of the billfolds I see these days are thick as a brick. But, for me, the main thing is staying on top of keeping the cards active and not missing a monthly statement payment. What we need is something like one of those universal remotes where everything is on one device. You know, one single card on which are all one's cc accts. (I could lose some bulk/weight w/o even having to go on a diet.)

Spreadsheets are your freind!

Every card I know about lets you set an email alert so that you know your account is due in the next few days. Chase is nice in that all of your accounts only require one logon.

I tend to carry only a couple of cards that I am either targeting the min spend to get the bonus or whichever has the best return for my needs.

Ispolkom May 25, 2010 7:17 am

I schedule my payment at the Chase Web site as soon as I receive the statement, so that I'm sure not to miss a payment.

artsytraveler May 25, 2010 8:56 am

I have four Chase cards and received three of them within the last six months. Did have to lower credit on one card in order to receive the fourth.

detony May 25, 2010 9:07 am

Not sure what the magic number is. But here is my tale:
-always had the CO Biz MC for many years.
-got the BA for 100k in Nov.
-got the CO personal MC in April for 30k.
-I was added to my partner's as a CO personal athorized user in April, got 5k.
-did the same on his BA card as well. (And vice versa on both of his cards.)

So, I had 3 in my name, two under his name.

Applied for the United biz Visa card in mid May and denied--'too many requests for credit or opened accounts with us'.

Boraxo May 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Updated: I now have 4 Chase personal cards: Southwest, Marriott, BA and now CO. Just opened CO in 2011, my prior card app (BA) was >1 year ago. Also have 3 Citi (including AA) and 3 BofA (including AS and card formerly associated with Choice hotels).

As noted below, at a certain point Chase does not want to increase its potential exposure from default by a single cardholder. So after I applied online I received a call to ask how I would like to shift my credit line from other cards to the new card.

I will probably dump the new CO card in a year as the benefits don't justify the high annual fee.

...SSSS... May 25, 2010 6:10 pm

Geeez, my hat is off to all of you who can keep track of all these credit cards. Especially, stay on top of the monthly statements and pay before the due date. Also, knowing where they physically are--do some of you actually carry them around in your purse/billfold? Gawd, some of the billfolds I see these days are thick as a brick. But, for me, the main thing is staying on top of keeping the cards active and not missing a monthly statement payment. What we need is something like one of those universal remotes where everything is on one device. You know, one single card on which are all one's cc accts. (I could lose some bulk/weight w/o even having to go on a diet.)

If you have a Bank of America checking account and online access to it, you can register for free for "My Portfolio". It allows you to have all your BoA checking and savings accounts, credit cards (BoA, Chase, AmEx, Citi, others), FF miles programs (OnePass, AAdvantage, others), email accounts (yahoo, gmail, etc,,,) show on a single page. You can update the information as much as you like (manually or automatically). I do a spreadsheet as well ;)

Tailgater May 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by ...SSSS... (Post 14022762)
If you have a Bank of America checking account and online access to it, you can register for free for "My Portfolio". It allows you to have all your BoA checking and savings accounts, credit cards (BoA, Chase, AmEx, Citi, others), FF miles programs (OnePass, AAdvantage, others), email accounts (yahoo, gmail, etc,,,) show on a single page. You can update the information as much as you like (manually or automatically). I do a spreadsheet as well ;)

Thanks for the tip! (I have online B/A access)

deltame May 25, 2010 7:17 pm

You can call Chase (or perhaps other financial institutions too) and ask for same due/statement close date for multiple accounts - this way, you only need remember to log on once each month to pay the credit card bills. Of course, if you have many cards you can choose 2 sets of bill payment dates and customize your statement close dates around those that suit your time/schedule. Just an idea.

DCBob May 19, 2011 10:45 am

Originally Posted by deltame (Post 14023071)
You can call Chase (or perhaps other financial institutions too) and ask for same due/statement close date for multiple accounts - this way, you only need remember to log on once each month to pay the credit card bills. Of course, if you have many cards you can choose 2 sets of bill payment dates and customize your statement close dates around those that suit your time/schedule. Just an idea.

I now have 4 Chase cards. I just set them up to pay the minimum payment (or a larger amount) automatically every month. No need to log in at the Chase website every month.

Stoughton May 19, 2011 11:08 am

At 5 currently

tassojunior May 19, 2011 11:09 am

Originally Posted by traveldealer (Post 14018390)
However, I think you can only get approved for one card every 6 Months.

Definitely wrong.

I have 6 (including 1 biz) and got most within two months of each other. Chase prefers you not apply for more than 2 in 60 or 1 in 30 days. That's all.

Stoughton May 19, 2011 11:15 am

Build a spreadsheet - track applications, lenght of 'holding', bonuses, etc.

Also easy to set up a date counter so you don't have to wonder whne 60/90/etc days is up

Carry the cards? Right now, only 1 SPG and the new BA card. The rest are in a drawer. I don't find it worth the hassle of having 1 card for gas, 1 for groceries, etc.

Tracking Payments: Use their online service and all your cards will appear. When I log into Chase.Com, I see all 5 of mine at once. Have them sync your payment dates and instead of 5, I have 1 to remember. Instead of having to remember tons, I have 3: Citi, Chase, Amex

bzcat May 19, 2011 11:17 am

Credit decisions are based on a myriad of factors, credit score, history, income, recent trend etc. I doubt Chase has a fast and hard rule on number of cards you can carry at any one time. But I'm sure they have a formula that applies a sliding scale on maximum credit line you are allowed to have based on your credit risk (or lack there of).

bergcy May 19, 2011 11:24 am

I had 4 (Freedom, BP, BA, CO). Applied for Sapphire 50k and was approved.

goodtricks May 19, 2011 11:53 am

Currently have 3 (just added the BA this month).

Not sure how long I should wait until jumping on the Saphire 50k