Reload this Page >

Starting a job where i travel 30% domestic, out of ROC

Starting a job where i travel 30% domestic, out of ROC

Old Apr 29, 10, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Red face Starting a job where i travel 30% domestic, out of ROC

hey guys n gals,

short and sweet:

just getting out of college , starting a job where i travel 30% domestic and maybe once in a great while international, out of ROC

================================
i have 92k delta miles from a long time ago, 70 of those are MM qualifying.

i have 0 miles on any other airline.

i have a corporate amex (no MR, sigh) , and can pick and choose my airlines + hotel chains. (not car rental, always hertz).

I want to stick to one airline, i want to be lifetime something eventually.

should i stick with DL , or start on a new airline?
also, i have no credit cards so far, should i get a generic gold amex with the 25k MR bonus, or get an airline specific card ?
(going to use rewards for flights and hotels only, no cashback)

=======================================

For personal travel,
I will be travelling to CDG once a year, and hopefully SEA once a year, and cincinnati once or twice a year.

THANKS SO MUCH in advance !
-frozen
Old Apr 29, 10, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Without making a specific recommendation to you, I think you can pick up some miles on United right now pretty easily. If you have not yet graduated, check to see if United still offers a mileage bonus for college students who enroll in the UA FF program ("Mileage Plus") before graduating. And if you are credit worthy, you can pick up 50,000 UA miles if you sign up for the Chase/UA Visa card by phone by April 30. (See the thread in the UA forum here on FT.)

The Hilton family of properties lets you double dip (that is, earn both Hilton HHonors points and airline miles on each stay). And if your corporate rate with Hertz permits you to earn airline miles, consider crediting the miles to a foreign carrier's FF program: you won't be charged a fee to cover the excise tax that Hertz has to pay when crediting miles to a domestic FF program, and you'll typically earn more miles than if you credited to a domestic program. Example: Hertz rentals earn either 500 or 1,000 Virgin Atlantic miles per rental, and VS miles can be redeemed for travel on CO, US, and several other carriers.
Old Apr 30, 10, 7:56 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
How many miles per year do you figure you'll be flying?
Old Apr 30, 10, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by frozenbinary View Post
...and can pick and choose my airlines + hotel chains. (not car rental, always hertz)...
That's great that your employer will allow that.

With 30% domestic travel, you ought to work on two airlines to get status with each, and two hotel chains to get status, as well.
Old Apr 30, 10, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Do you have any idea where you'll be flying mostly for work? Also look at alternatives of flying out of BUF too. Going Star alliance would give you the largest network of airlines out of ROC and don't forget Jet Blue.
As far as hotels go check out Intercontinental, Hyatt and SPG forums on here. for Hyatt there is currently an instant Platinum promotion and other promotions for the others.
Old Apr 30, 10, 8:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AAMM; UA Silver, Delta Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Originally Posted by frozenbinary View Post
hey guys n gals,

short and sweet:

just getting out of college , starting a job where i travel 30% domestic and maybe once in a great while international, out of ROC

================================
i have 92k delta miles from a long time ago, 70 of those are MM qualifying.

i have 0 miles on any other airline.

i have a corporate amex (no MR, sigh) , and can pick and choose my airlines + hotel chains. (not car rental, always hertz).

I want to stick to one airline, i want to be lifetime something eventually.

should i stick with DL , or start on a new airline?
also, i have no credit cards so far, should i get a generic gold amex with the 25k MR bonus, or get an airline specific card ?
(going to use rewards for flights and hotels only, no cashback)

=======================================

For personal travel,
I will be travelling to CDG once a year, and hopefully SEA once a year, and cincinnati once or twice a year.

THANKS SO MUCH in advance !
-frozen

You may be able to pay a fee ($75) to get the points - you should check into this. I chuckled when I saw you post. My first job out of school, I was told 25%-30% travel - well turned out it was more like 60%.
Old Apr 30, 10, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
There is a list of criteria on this blog post that you should keep in mind as you pick a program: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...the-right-one/

(In full disclosure, that is my blog on BoardingArea.com.)
Old Apr 30, 10, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec, USair Gold, Marriot Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sharmaintl View Post
There is a list of criteria on this blog post that you should keep in mind as you pick a program: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/unroad...the-right-one/

(In full disclosure, that is my blog on BoardingArea.com.)

Nice Blog and posts!
Old Apr 30, 10, 9:18 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Qantas, HAL, Starwood,
I would suggest stay with DL or change to the one that you are going to fly the most...and get the credit card to match the airline that your focused at...
Old May 1, 10, 7:06 am
Original Poster

thanks!

i could fly out of BUF but thats an hr drive, when the ROC airport is 15 minutes away.

totally random places i will be travelling to, so i cant predict that.

thanks for the suggestions!
Old May 1, 10, 9:48 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by Icypackattack View Post
I would suggest stay with DL or change to the one that you are going to fly the most...and get the credit card to match the airline that your focused at...
I don't see a great plus to this unless perhaps he's getting the benefit of substantial EQMs. DL miles are already rated one of the poorest values (and certainly after May 15 (loss of SQ as a partner)), so why rack up more? I could see some benefit with DL depending on his/her upgrade likelihood, but since s/he has no clue as to what the destinations will be, that's hard to guess...
Old May 1, 10, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kohoutek View Post
With 30% domestic travel, you ought to work on two airlines to get status with each, and two hotel chains to get status, as well.
I disagree. A 30% travel schedule means roughly one week per month. If each trip was a transcon that would still not add up to top tier on a single carrier (it might get close). I'd focus on a single program and aim for the top tier. At the lower levels the benefits aren't as great. And spreading thin to get bottom tier at two programs is just more of not great.
Old May 1, 10, 9:34 pm

I agree, focus on one for now, one that will meet your needs and local airport. Why spread things around if you don't have to?

I would ditch Delta, award availability is there and earning miles is easy but it's expensive in miles to redeem a ticket. And F is usually booked out by paying customers or non-revs, so watch out if you go with Delta. I'd take one or two more flights with Delta to get up over 100k miles and then use them.

Whichever you go with make sure to get a CC that pays miles toward it, as well as find the best option for hotel and rental car. Stay focused and you'll do great.

I'd agree with the comment about 30% leading to 60%...my first job had 0% travel and I ended up being gone about 2 weeks a month for nearly a year. It was great for miles but stank based on what I expected from the job.
Old May 1, 10, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I was in Rochester this week coming in on a United Express regional jet, and noticed CO flew similar size aircraft. What carriers fly full-sized aircraft in there?
Old May 1, 10, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by donmarco View Post
Nice Blog and posts!
Thank you.

You may be able to pay a fee ($75) to get the points - you should check into this.
Totally depends on the agreement between the company and AmEx. My last employer allowed paying the fee to get the MR. Current one does not.

Search this Thread