Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Best Way To Leverage $150K Cash And $100K Amex Limit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Here's a challenge to all of you deal addicts out there. This is what you have to work with:

1. $150K in cash connected to a MasterCard debit card (1% rewards).
2. Amex Blue Cash card with a $100K limit.
3. Am only eligible for Amex cards for signup bonuses (foreign resident, no SSN, no Equifax credit file yet).
4. Assume less than $5K total annual spending on credit cards.

The goal is to make the highest ROI (cash or miles) with the above. Investments with unknown risk or ROI cannot be considered.

I was considering the Bank Direct Mileage Checking which would give 15K AA miles/month, but the equivalent value is 1%-1.5% per year. I'm sure you guys could do better than that!

Last edited by hanover.john; Apr 7, 2010 at 3:16 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by hanover.john
Here's a challenge to all of you deal addicts out there. This is what you have to work with:

1. $150K in cash.
2. Amex Blue Cash card with a $100K limit.
3. Am only eligible for Amex cards for signup bonuses (foreign resident, no SSN, no Equifax credit file yet).
4. Assume less than $5K total annual spending on credit cards.

The goal is to make the highest ROI (cash or miles) with the above. Investments with unknown risk or ROI cannot be considered.

I was considering the Bank Direct Mileage Checking which would give 15K AA miles/month, but the equivalent value is 1%-1.5% per year. I'm sure you guys could do better than that!
Welcome to the world of FT, and to the universe of figuring out how to earn easy rewards on AMEX. News, it's still work-in-progress. AMEX=no easy/quick ways. You may be able to use balance transfers and deposit the funds in a rewards checking account to yield 4% (not sure of the BT fee on Amex Blue). Check fatwallet.

$150K in cash - again, fatwallet may be better. If I were you, I would put some of that in chinese yuan :-) Unless, of course, you are from China and already have assets/$ there. Zero risk, not quite, but almost zero.

I'll let others give more useful information, just thought I would welcome you to FT. (PS, you're not a new member, so daah on that welcome)

Last edited by learningtime; Apr 7, 2010 at 2:49 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:22 pm

care to share which checking account offers 4% w/o limitation of debit card usage or maximum balance amounts??

Originally Posted by learningtime
Welcome to the world of FT, and to the universe of figuring out how to earn easy rewards on AMEX. News, it's still work-in-progress. AMEX=no easy/quick ways. You may be able to use balance transfers and deposit the funds in a rewards checking account to yield 4% (not sure of the BT fee on Amex Blue). Check fatwallet.

$150K in cash - again, fatwallet may be better. If I were you, I would put some of that in chinese yuan :-) Unless, of course, you are from China and already have assets/$ there. Zero risk, not quite, but almost zero.

I'll let others give more useful information, just thought I would welcome you to FT. (PS, you're not a new member, so daah on that welcome)
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by kaiotes
care to share which checking account offers 4% w/o limitation of debit card usage or maximum balance amounts??
none without debit card usage, X number of transactions, or direct deposit etc. But for $150,000*4%, a before-tax profit of $6000/per year, what's a few debit transactions?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Remember that BankDirect miles are TAX FREE.

For some (such as myself) that makes a significant difference... if you're in a high tax bracket, you should seriously consider it as an option.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by rajuabju
Remember that BankDirect miles are TAX FREE.

For some (such as myself) that makes a significant difference... if you're in a high tax bracket, you should seriously consider it as an option.
I agree and I also see this as my best option now. At 2 cents per AA mile, this works out to 2.4% after tax. With a 39% marginal tax bracket (including state), the equivalent yield is 2.4/0.61 = 3.9%. And it gets me closer to the million mile marker.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I can't agree more. It is exactly what my math is.

Originally Posted by Flyer737
I agree and I also see this as my best option now. At 2 cents per AA mile, this works out to 2.4% after tax. With a 39% marginal tax bracket (including state), the equivalent yield is 2.4/0.61 = 3.9%. And it gets me closer to the million mile marker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.