Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

SEA-based flyer and CO Silver - should I switch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal

Hi folks,

I've been a CO silver for the past few years, mainly as I fly into EWR often. CO Silver seems less worthwhile for SEA as a base now that there's no longer a partnership with Alaska/Delta/NW. I used to fly UA a lot, but don't as much anymore. They're also not very strong from SEA, although I do often travel to ORD.

Any suggestions on whether you'd switch or how you'd evaluate where to park miles for 2010?

Thanks!

ps - I'm also 20K away from gold, so if anyone has a MR for that amount from SEA let me know - I have some free time now
Old Dec 11, 2009, 11:57 pm
Suspended

AS is a better program for you. You can fly anywhere from here and hit gold easily. 20k in mileage runs is going to cost you a lot. Probably spending a big chunk and heading overseas somewhere is your easiest bet.

Last edited by thegeneral; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:14 am
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA, AK, Mar, Hyatt
I'm in a similar position as the original poster. While most of my flying tends to be on Alaska, I'm wondering if joining AA's program makes more sense since AA seems to have more opportunities to earn miles without flying than does the AS program. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Then again, the reason I'm in this position is b/c I was burned by joining and accumulating CO miles by flying AS only to see those miles no longer usable for Alaska flights with the switch to Star Alliance. Maybe I shouldn't be playing with fire again?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dbruin
I'm in a similar position as the original poster. While most of my flying tends to be on Alaska, I'm wondering if joining AA's program makes more sense since AA seems to have more opportunities to earn miles without flying than does the AS program. Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Then again, the reason I'm in this position is b/c I was burned by joining and accumulating CO miles by flying AS only to see those miles no longer usable for Alaska flights with the switch to Star Alliance. Maybe I shouldn't be playing with fire again?
While it's true that AA has some pretty cool non-flying opportunities (knock on wood that this will continue), I'm a strong proponent of Mileage plan for all SEA and PDX flyers. Apart from the superior travel experience (because you're usually in F up and down the coast), the miles are kind of neat, in spite of the fact that I'm not too fond of the new 3-tier system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.