Zipcar - A company that bills on one card and refunds on another

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

So there's Zipcar.com in many cities across the US and in London too.

The clever thing about Zipcar is that you can reserve online in advance.

Your profile contains your credit card details and your account is billed instantly.

You can only reserve a maximum of 4 days in a row however there are 52 weeks in the year so there's a lot of days to be reserved.

You can rack up near enought $20k in reservations.

Wait until the transactions post which take a day or two.

THEN.... go back into your profile and switch the credit card or put in a debit card.

Click CANCEL on each of your 52 reservations... the money is then refunded automatically back to your new credit card or if you put a debit card in your profile straight to your bank account.

I know several people who have done this who made their Hilton HH Gold Status with $20k for free and another 10k in US Airways Preferred miles...

One shrewd chap actually used a 0% APR purchase card and booked $15k in bookings... refunded the money to his bank account and then put the cash into a savings account for a few months!

There are not many companies that do this and clearly its a loophole in Zipcars billing system that needs to be exploited!
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Verrrry intriguing... Now I regret closing my Zipcar account earlier this year
Old Oct 29, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Closest ZipCar to me is Miami. Not that I couldn't still work this angle. I just would like to use ZipCar since I don't own a car. Thanks for the info. ^
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

hmmmm.... I could join for $35/yr. I wonder how many times one could do this & refund it to a different card (without ever completing a reservation) before they catch on?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Everyone does realize that Zipcar has to pay per-transaction fees to its merchant bank, and therefore this scheme costs them significant money, right? The percentage fees are often refunded on chargebacks, but the per-transaction fees are not. It may be a loophole, but it's not "victimless" - Zipcar will incur significant costs through exploitation of this loophole.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:30 am

What happens if they close the loophole before you get stuff refunded?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
What happens if they close the loophole before you get stuff refunded?
No sweat. You will still refunded via the original payment method (credit card).

Zipcar is doing great service towards a greener planet. Let's not exploit this loophole if it is going to cost them money. Majority of Zipcar customers are students, low income families, young professionals, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Does this really work?! Perhaps one has to be on a particular plan. We frequently make and cancel Zipcar reservations, but we only get charged after completing the reservations.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
Zipcar is doing great service towards a greener planet. Let's not exploit this loophole if it is going to cost them money. Majority of Zipcar customers are students, low income families, young professionals, etc.

+1 however, looking at this I learned some new information about their service and probably will take advantage of it when I'm in Seattle & Houston...
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
There is a similar thread that may be worth reading here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-here-how.html

I have my opinions about whether this is ethical or not, but I'll leave it to the individual to figure out whether it's worth it to them or not.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cepheid
Everyone does realize that Zipcar has to pay per-transaction fees to its merchant bank, and therefore this scheme costs them significant money, right? The percentage fees are often refunded on chargebacks, but the per-transaction fees are not. It may be a loophole, but it's not "victimless" - Zipcar will incur significant costs through exploitation of this loophole.
If I had to guess, I would think they wouldn't get the percentage fees refunded either since it's going back to a different card.

So for someone racking up $20k in charges and doing a refund to a different card you're potentially costing them $500 or more (figure 2% per transaction between their per transaction fee and their percentage fee).
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
No sweat. You will still refunded via the original payment method (credit card).

OK, fair enough.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by tsg20
Does this really work?! Perhaps one has to be on a particular plan. We frequently make and cancel Zipcar reservations, but we only get charged after completing the reservations.
I believe this is the case for me too.

Regardless, zipcar is a great company and doing this trick will hurt their bottom line.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skit53
I believe this is the case for me too.

Regardless, zipcar is a great company and doing this trick will hurt their bottom line.
Right. And as we rely on them a lot for car use, I wouldn't want my account closed for abuse, either.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
It depends on how your account is set up.

For some their credit card charges as soon as you make a reservation.

For other the billing takes place at the end of the reservation.

Clearly, this little trick only works when you get billed ahead of time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.