Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

New to this, Need some advice.. Please help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:37 am
Original Poster

I'm flying my whole family (9+ people) transatlantic for my wedding. How do I get the miles for all their flights? I already paid for the tickets with my Citi PremierPass card.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:36 am

Programs: DL, AA
Welcome to FlyerTalk, webinhigh.

As a general rule, the person flying earns the miles. You will only earn the credit card miles (for all the tickets you purchased) + miles for your ticket.

Just in case there is an exception I am not familiar with, what airline are you flying? And, what FF program do you use (or are you planning to use)? I'm not familiar with every program, but some programs may still allow a family account, allowing you to pool the "flown" miles for several family members.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
You have a lot to learn...First, I don't know which airline you are flying but you need to open frequent flyer accounts with the airline and make sure you give the FF numbers to the airline.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Welcome to FT!

Since you've already bought the tickets, you know what airline they're on. FT is organized into forums for each airline (plus lots of other topics, most of them travel-related), since that's the only way to keep something of its size out of total chaos. Go to that forum and spend a bit of time reading it. There are probably one or more "sticky" threads at the top that answer many common questions, including perhaps yours. Once you've done that much, post specific questions about that airline in that forum. That's where the FTers who really know that airline's program hang out.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by webinhigh
I'm flying my whole family (9+ people) transatlantic for my wedding. How do I get the miles for all their flights? I already paid for the tickets with my Citi PremierPass card.
You don't get their miles, each person will earn mileage on their own respective FFP account. The credit card program (citibank premier pass card) is separate, it enables you earn flight points (an instrument within citi thankyou points program), from all tickets you paid using your card. If you have the regular Premier Pass card, you earn 1 flight point for every 3 miles they fly, and flight points are typically awarded automatically after your trip. If the flight points do not post to your credit card statement (give it a minimum of 4 or 6 weeks after your trip), then call the credit card company. In the past, people had been asked to provide boarding pass to prove their travel, so make sure your family members keep their boarding passes until after all credits (airline FFP and your TYP) are deposited.

Be aware that, in the thankyou program, flight points need be matched by purchase points in order to become regular thank you points that get transferred to your thank you account - not matched flight points would remain in your credit card account for future use.

There are many posts about thank you points, please do a search in the miles buzz and other credit cards forums for many useful insights.

Last edited by deltame; Oct 25, 2009 at 8:23 am Reason: added a suggestion to search forums
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA UA CO USair
New to the forum also,

I also have a Citi premier pass Elite level card earning 1 flight point per mile. Yes I do have AA, UA, CO and Usair mileage accounts. Anyway I expect to use 65,000 miles for an Economy award on UA to HKG for a cost of $47 USA in airport taxes.

If I use my Citi premierpass to pay the $47 in UA taxes, it seems I should still get those 15,000+ round trip flight points for "buying the ticket" according to the brochure.

Can anyone confirm yes or no whether or not Citi gives flight points on award travel? TIA
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Originally Posted by AAsuited
If I use my Citi premierpass to pay the $47 in UA taxes, it seems I should still get those 15,000+ round trip flight points for "buying the ticket" according to the brochure.
Yes, provided the charge appears in the same format as a regular ticket, showing the flight numbers, dates, origin and destinations. If this information does not appear on the credit card statement you will need to submit a copy of your eticket and boarding passes. (Wait at least two billing cycles after the travel date to see if the points post automatically.)

Again, remember that Flight Points are not redeemable until they are converted to ThankYou Points, which occurs only when you earn a matching number of Purchase Points.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by webinhigh
I'm flying my whole family (9+ people) transatlantic for my wedding. How do I get the miles for all their flights?
Not knowing which airline your whole family will be flying but this thread may be of interest to you:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ily-miles.html

If you are flying the airline that allows family/household account, then you are in luck. Otherwise, good luck!

Congrats and welcome to FT!
Old Oct 26, 2009, 1:17 am

Programs: AA UA CO USair
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Again, remember that Flight Points are not redeemable until they are converted to ThankYou Points, which occurs only when you earn a matching number of Purchase Points.
I hope the mint thing returns soon so I can get those points real fast. Know many like the Starwoodcard by AMEX. Think the Premierpass works best for me. I can always downgrade the credit card to avoid the annual fee. And upgrade the premierpass to elite level when I do use it heavily

Thanks for welcome to forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.