Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Get miles for a purchase, redeem miles, return purchase.. is this possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Has anyone done this or something similar?

1. Spend $10k buying expensive electronics at Walmart or Costco (over 3-month return policy).
2. Get miles posted to your account and redeem them for a ticket
3. Return your unopened 80-inch HDTV to Walmart

I'm pretty sure they'll try to remove the miles, but can it happen if you're already ticketed? Will they not let you fly? What if you actually perform the travel before you return the items? Will your account be left with a negative balance in miles?

Just wondering; I'm not actually planning on doing this. It just came up as an idea as my friend and I brainstormed for quick ways to earn the few miles he needs for his upcoming travel.

Thanks!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:37 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Mileage is usually posted on net purchases. I can't speak from experience, yet if you are using the card for other purchases, you'd net out <0, and until you charged an equivalent amount of purchases, you wouldn't see any new miles. If it's a credit card opened, used, posted, then returned, I suspect when you asked for your refund check, they'd take the miles back.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If you had use the Search function with the keyword "return" you would have found these two discussions of precisely the same subject...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...uff-miles.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-here-how.html
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by mia
And here's one more:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...es-thread.html
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by rodrigo

1. Spend $10k buying expensive electronics at Walmart or Costco (over 3-month return policy).
This is probably one of the reasons that Costco doesn't accept credit card (other than their own). Without a Costco supported credit card, purchases can only be made with debit, cash or check.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chococat
This is probably one of the reasons that Costco doesn't accept credit card (other than their own). Without a Costco supported credit card, purchases can only be made with debit, cash or check.
COSTCO takes any Amex type of CC not just their own
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rodrigo

2. Get miles posted to your account and redeem them for a ticket
3. Return your unopened 80-inch HDTV to Walmart

I'm pretty sure they'll try to remove the miles, but can it happen if you're already ticketed? Will they not let you fly? What if you actually perform the travel before you return the items? Will your account be left with a negative balance in miles?

Just wondering; I'm not actually planning on doing this. It just came up as an idea as my friend and I brainstormed for quick ways to earn the few miles he needs for his upcoming travel.

Thanks!
besides all the links above to other threads

Ive had CCs in the past that did in fact send a negative bal to my Carrier thusly resulting in miles being deducted straight from my acct.

Id say if you use the CC only for that purchase and have no other miles remaining after cashing them in and have no reason to fly or credit that Airlines program , you can get away with it. If you plan to continue to fly that carrier and/or credit miles to that acct = not such a good idea

Then if the free tkt hasnt been used as yet ,Id say you have to hope that the Carrier doesnt realize that. Youd be in better shape if you already used the whole tkt before Returning the goods.

Last edited by craz; Oct 25, 2009 at 1:06 pm
Old Oct 25, 2009, 12:47 pm

Shame on you. Do you have any ethics or morals? Why not post..Is it possible to steal someones wallet buy a ticket and get millage?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I had a rather large refund back to an SPG Amex card and after it posted I called & had Amex send me a check for a refund so I wouldn't lose the points.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by craz
I;d say if you use the CC only for that purchase and have no other miles remaining after cashing them in and have no reason to fly or credit that Airlines program , you can get away with it.
Which it sounds like the OP is planning to do.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Shame on you. Do you have any ethics or morals? Why not post..Is it possible to steal someones wallet buy a ticket and get millage?
Well, I wouldn't post that because I know the answer is YES, it is possible to steal someone's wallet etc etc.

If you read my post, you'd see I'm not actually planning on doing this. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but the only shame on me is not being able to find the threads linked above by searching (which I did try, so I apologize for not trying hard enough).
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
There's a more straightforward, sure, and ethical way to quickly earn miles:

Do microlending with the very reputable Kiva organization.

- You can provide some outstanding help to hardworking people around the world.
- You can lend money using your credit card (via PayPal) and PayPal generously waives fees for Kiva (at least they did when I previously loaned money). And, of course, you'll get the points/miles associated with that lending.
- AND... you can get the money back! Once the loan term is over, barring the rare circumstances in which the money is not paid back, you can request 100% of your original investment back... to put back into your bank account or invest in more worthy entrepreneurs.

Is that not awesome or what? :-)
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold/1MM
[QUOTE=ThatAdamGuy;12707565]There's a more straightforward, sure, and ethical way to quickly earn miles:

- You can lend money using your credit card (via PayPal) and PayPal generously waives fees for Kiva (at least they did when I previously loaned money). And, of course, you'll get the points/miles associated with that lending.

When you fund your Paypal with your credit card, dont they charge you a fee for it?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
You're not funding your PayPal account, you're paying a merchant; typically, merchants pay a set commission on each credit card transaction (something like 30 cents plus 2.9%), but in this case -- again, at least last time I checked -- PayPal was waiving that commission fee for Kiva, so if you decided to microlend $1000, all $1000 would go towards the entrepreneurs and related organizations you're trying to help
Old Oct 25, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
You're not funding your PayPal account, you're paying a merchant; typically, merchants pay a set commission on each credit card transaction (something like 30 cents plus 2.9%), but in this case -- again, at least last time I checked -- PayPal was waiving that commission fee for Kiva, so if you decided to microlend $1000, all $1000 would go towards the entrepreneurs and related organizations you're trying to help
And don't forget on Kiva to join team Flyertalk! Just click on community and do a search for Flyertalk and join the team! We are doing good for the working people of the world and getting points and miles at the same time!

JudyJFLA

Last edited by JudyJFLA; Oct 27, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.