Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Mechanics of miles/points donation - HOW do charities benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I just made a donation of 3k Air France Flying Poo miles to the French Red Croissant, and this prompted me to wonder the mechanics of mileage donation:

1. What do the charities actually get? Do the airlines/hotels pool all the donations together and give them a total of miles/points and let the charities decide the usage? Or do they instead get a monetary value (say 1c/mile) and airlines get to write off the liability and MAY claim tax credit?

2. Say charities indeed get x miles, do they have to suffer the shortcomings of the programs (e.g DL's generous award availability at low level, and AF's reasonable fuel surcharges) like the rest of us? I would hate to see humanitarian relief personel or deserving child/patient/veteran, etc waiting for those elusive domestic awards or paying $700 for a "free" international ticket.

3. Do charities have guidelines on how the miles to be used? I don't want to see the head of Red Cross flying transpac first/business class in a flatbed with my hard earned CO miles.

I recommend Continental OnePass for making mileage donation available for as little as 1 mile. Most programs require 1k, and Flying Goo requires 3k minimum!
Old Mar 22, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: SPG
good question, I'd be interested in learning more about this too...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite
This is an interesting question. I've always refrained from donating miles to charity because I assume that I could get a better value for them myself, and presume that charities prefer cash. However, I could certainly be wrong.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:53 am

This is just a guess but maybe the Red Cross and the likes use the miles to get volunteers to their destinations. Also it may use award tickets to move disaster victims to different cities.

Perhaps if the Red Cross calls to make award bookings, the availability changes. Again this is just a guess, not exactly sure how it's used.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've been told that when you donate miles to an airline to be used for charity, the airline 'charges' the charity the standard award rate (not saver) even when saver is available.

Talk about a bum deal.....
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
"Donated Aeroplan Miles will be redeemed for flights, car rentals, hotels and equipment purchases to support the relief effort in Japan. "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.