Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HON perks are getting More & More diluted - abandon it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, Qantas Platinum, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Fendant
LH clearly is taking away HON perks:

HON Bonus gone
FCT Access gone
Birthday Vouchers gone with no info at all
What's next ?

Op Ups into F simply do no longer happen due to the severe downturn in C class bookings ( which generate most of LH's and LX's profits ). On my last longhauls to Asia and US C occupancy was between 40% and 60% F class travel is in the current economic crisis definitely out of question ( except for show biz people ).

Even BA and AF are quickly fixing Hellrow and chaos de gaulle. Wait until they become agressive at secondary airports in GER, AT or CH!

To me it seems as if Lufti clearly is no longer appreciating loyalty
I totally agree with you. You've made the point. Just have a look on the almost 600 visits of this thread within a couple of hours. Obviously people are interested in in this discussion.

Just to be clear, I havent't made any decision yet and already clocked 50000 HON miles in this new requalification period. But I've got at least 6 intercont trips to book for ther next 3 months and I will make that decision very shortly, wheather to go for HON again or not. I'm really appreciating the comments made here and as we can see, travel profiles are very different and therefore each individual answer to the serious deterioration of HON perks has to be different.

Last edited by ThorstenCGN; Feb 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Fendant
LH clearly is taking away HON perks:

HON Bonus gone
FCT Access gone
Birthday Vouchers gone with no info at all
What's next ?..
At least one serious assessment of that religion called HONdom.

But I must concede no one since the beginning of Les Lumières has founded a more solid religion than LH did. First they create Hell on Earth in the form of FRA - a venomous swamp of enormous proportions. Unwalkable even without the rivers Styx and Acheron, so people actually start to feel grateful that Charon - using a stinking bus filled with flu germs 10 out of 12 months a year - shows up and drives them an astronomical distance around the Hades to one of the micro heavens (aka lounges) they installed as beacon for their followers.

But the believers do not get upset that LH chose this black hole as their hub. That they take no action against the bus mafia having a firm grip on the helpless passengers. No, like all true brotherhoods they grow in strength the more appalling the environment they created turns, establishing a firm network of sub-denominations and sects which compete against each other.

The light forms are the partially agnostics who pray the "I don't care about being perched into a bus, having to walk through an endless tunnel without the light at the end, having to put up with a coach called business, and having to sleep on an old angled-flat seat - I just want to get from A to C and having to waist hours in the pothole in B underway is hence acceptable" mantra without recognition of their signs of severe addiction rather than piety.

At the other end the Spartan breed of the followers "I don't need the FCT, I don't need the service, I do not need to sleep or to eat, the incompetent parish of FRA is just a transient stage for me, all I want is:" <put minuscule perk here>. Only to go on with their mantra "but I think LH should raise the HON requirement to a frooglepoopillion miles per week and demand the severance of a limb and its sacrifice to The Wolf".

Yes, I concede in the early days - after my anathema on 1.8.2004 - I was jealous of the fellowship of the HON and their proximity to Oympus Mons. There were perks, even a non-believer could relate to. But these days? The concept of an investment into the airline is long, long gone. The spiritual leader of the club has no esteem for his disciples and discounts them wantonly.

And at this stage HONdom is like a wise lecture: it helps its members to avoid problems they would not have if they did not fly LH via FRA ....
Old Feb 8, 2009, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by ThorstenCGN
I totally agree with you. You've made the point. Just have a look on the almost 600 visits of this thread within a couple of hours. Obviously people are interested in in this discussion.

Just to be clear, I havent't made any decision yet and already clocked 50000 HON miles in this new requalification period. But I've got at least 6 intercont trips to book for ther next 3 months and I will make that decision very shortly, wheather to go for HON again or not. I'm really appreciating the comments made here and as we can see, travel profiles are very different and therefore the answer to the serious deterioration of HON perks has to be different.
I'd go for HON re-qualification!
I used to maintain status in all 3 alliances. (I soon dropped Skyteam after actually having travelled on AF/KL ... ).

Last year I took the decision to go for HON and bundle more flights towards LH/LX than towards my previous dominant carrier BA. I got quite fed up with the hellhole they call Heathrow.
I will however be able to maintain both the LH status as well as BA Gold. For 2009 I will have a split of 70% LH/LX and 30% BA.

Even with the reduced benefits I still think the program is worth it. I start most of my longhaul ex-FRA anyway, so the FCT rule changes (FCT is now FRANKFURT Class Terminal! ) will not affect me too much. I am also still banking on LH providing a solution for the Schengen transfers from the FCL B.

I will however keep my BA Gold status as a backup option, if LH flights, schedules and prices don't match up. BA has some pretty good offers ex-Germany ...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero

But I must concede no one since the beginning of Les Lumières has founded a more solid religion than LH did. First they create Hell on Earth in the form of FRA - a venomous swamp of enormous proportions. Unwalkable even without the rivers Styx and Acheron, so people actually start to feel grateful that Charon - using a stinking bus filled with flu germs 10 out of 12 months a year - shows up and drives them an astronomical distance around the Hades to one of the micro heavens (aka lounges) they installed as beacon for their followers.

But the believers do not get upset that LH chose this black hole as their hub. That they take no action against the bus mafia having a firm grip on the helpless passengers. No, like all true brotherhoods they grow in strength the more appalling the environment they created turns, establishing a firm network of sub-denominations and sects which compete against each other.

The light forms are the partially agnostics who pray the "I don't care about being perched into a bus, having to walk through an endless tunnel without the light at the end, having to put up with a coach called business, and having to sleep on an old angled-flat seat - I just want to get from A to C and having to waist hours in the pothole in B underway is hence acceptable" mantra without recognition of their signs of severe addiction rather than piety.

At the other end the Spartan breed of the followers "I don't need the FCT, I don't need the service, I do not need to sleep or to eat, the incompetent parish of FRA is just a transient stage for me, all I want is:" <put minuscule perk here>. Only to go on with their mantra "but I think LH should raise the HON requirement to a frooglepoopillion miles per week and demand the severance of a limb and its sacrifice to The Wolf".

Yes, I concede in the early days - after my anathema on 1.8.2004 - I was jealous of the fellowship of the HON and their proximity to Oympus Mons. There were perks, even a non-believer could relate to. But these days? The concept of an investment into the airline is long, long gone. The spiritual leader of the club has no esteem for his disciples and discounts them wantonly.

And at this stage HONdom is like a wise lecture: it helps its members to avoid problems they would not have if they did not fly LH via FRA ....
Weero, we are all not worthy, YOU are our new spritual leader !
I nominate your post to post of the month so far !
(I nearly spilled my Heineken here at the AMS Hilton ... shame they don't serve real beer)
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Weero, we are all not worthy, YOU are our new spritual leader ! ..
Nah Rambuster - you are a very reasonable HONchaser and do not need any guidance on your mission .

Most here are actually quite sane about it - but the discussions about HONdom always and reliably drift into the realm of mythology. And the number of people who want to see more sacrifice imposed on their status and benefits removed so that they are more exclusive / lonely / plainly deranged is breathtaking.

If LH comes to the obscene conclusion that it is cheaper for them to cripple the HON benefits and chasing away a good flock of the HONs that is one thing. But people on the receiving end cheering this measure is nothing short of self mortification.

Hiring a nice lady to get flagellated is ways cheaper than yearning for HONdom this way @:-) .
Old Feb 8, 2009, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Hiring a nice lady to get flagellated is ways cheaper than yearning for HONdom this way @:-) .
Is "flagellated" a synonym for the F word ?
(I guess I have to look it up ... )
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rambuster
Is "flagellated" a synonym for the F word ?
(I guess I have to look it up ... )
Nope - neither close to the vulgar F word nor close to the FT "F" word.

It merely comes from Latin flagella (is it Latin andre1970?) which in my limited memory means 'whip'.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB platinum, BAEC bronze
Nope - neither close to the vulgar F word nor close to the FT "F" word.

It merely comes from Latin flagella (is it Latin andre1970?) which in my limited memory means 'whip'.
It does mean whip, but the singular is flagellum (neutral) plural flagella if my latin reminiscences do not trump me.
An I concur with Rambuster, your post is by far the best post I have read on FT.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:

Dude! This is one beautiful post! ^^
Old Feb 8, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by ottone
It does mean whip, but the singular is flagellum (neutral) plural flagella if my latin reminiscences do not trump me.
Originally Posted by ottone
An I concur with Rambuster, your post is by far the best post I have read on FT.
correct on both counts!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:00 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA GOLD, SPG PLATINUM, MR GOLD, AX CENTURION, etc.
Don't blame LH/LX to much

The new access rules for the FCT may be disadvantagous for those that enjoyed the hasslefree connections thru it in FRA. But as one knows the FCT reaches it capacity during busy periods. So LH had to decide and to look for alternatives. The alternative will be the FCL. But if the rules stay the same, a lot of folks would still use the FCT instead of the new capacity. I think the capacity was also the reason for cutting back the executive bonus from 50% to 25%.

I hope that these changes will remain the only ones. If you look at the new AF/KL FB-rules, there you can find a true reason to be sad, very sad! That is for me also the reason to avoid AF/KL as often as I can. When I'm thinking about connecting at CDG I already get feared (e.g the crappy Terminal 2D). And staring April 09 there won't be a real compensation for that anymore (as I would never fly at a paid F-Class fare with AF).
Old Feb 9, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: LH HON, *wood Plat, HHon Gold
... the only solution is to abandon flying at all - as I try to do, in this way no HON benefits (or lack of them) will be an issue. At home, I have enough benefits to give me reason not to fly anymore If more travellers will follow this path, sooner or later the metal will be grounded, and nobody will have to complain e.g. about FRA (which I hate BTW).
For those who complain there are too many HONs - in one-two years you'll see the number cut by half. Only F-pax will be left, but with more and more people unemployed/grounded those F-HONs will soon become Y-HONs and then will join those already grounded Hopefully this will not happen...
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:31 am

Thank you ottone and andre1970 :bows: .
Originally Posted by andre1970
correct on both counts!
Indeed - it is flagellum and the little, monocellular, speedy organisms get their name from it too.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:15 am

Programs: LX HON, Emirates Skywards Gold, HH diamond, Hyatt plat

You are a genius!I would expect nothing less from someone who quotes Dante Alighieri in his postings
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: LH
I agree at all points! That is a historical one!

@weero
Did you ever thought of writing books??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.