Search

Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Enhancement: No more op-ups from cheaper fare buckets

LH seem to be playing around with their grading list algorithm.

(Thanks SMK77 for sharing!)

Up to now pax were graded into a higher COS based on status in case of oversale situations. (HON>SEN>FTL>*G)
This will now be changed so that pax with fare buckets V and below will no longer be on the grading list, regardless of status (HON,SEN,FTL)!.

That means that any status (e.g. *G,FTL) in Q class will be ahead of a HON in V class ...

So if you want to score an opup in the upcoming summer season (and onwards) better book Q and above !

Another nice little enhancement for status pax in economy class.
Alles für diesen Moment.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Just ridiculous and short sighted IMO.

With only one confirmed longhaul upgrade every two years many SENs only stuck around due to the occasional op-up.

While LH seems to heading in a good direction generally, M&M and status benefits are becoming more and more mediocre (escept for HON status which is still pretty nice).
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I guess there are few Hons traveling long-haul in Economy, but for these it is a major "enhancement".
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Rambuster
This will now be changed so that pax with fare buckets V and below will no longer be on the grading list, regardless of status (HON,SEN,FTL)!.

Very bad news for me
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Wow, really bad enhancement.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 10:48 am

Isn't *G is above FTL in the grading list?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hifly15
Isn't *G is above FTL in the grading list?
Opinion varies here.
My experience is that FTL>*G on LH.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN
How to select fare class

Originally Posted by Rambuster
[...]
This will now be changed so that pax with fare buckets V and below will no longer be on the grading list, regardless of status (HON,SEN,FTL)!. That means that any status (e.g. *G,FTL) in Q class will be ahead of a HON in V class ...
Ok so this proves Oliver 2002 right, who posted this a few days ago here. Thanks a lot to you two for sharing.

This is somewhat upsetting. I don't like the idea of a Star Alliance Gold or FTL passenger on a Q fare being upgraded instead of a SEN or a HON on a V fare.
By the way, is there a way to book Q (H, M) instead of V on LH.com when V is what they sell by default as "Economy Basic Plus"? Or do you have to call / use a TA to do something like that?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

btw: LH seems to have decided against rebooking everyone into the new fare buckets once these are aligned with UA/CO/BD/OS/LX. To big a job it seems.

Note to everyone currently on K class tickets: Make sure to try to claim miles as per the old mileage table as this fare bucket will lose out.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
Does this apply to LX as well ?

Big to LH
Old Jun 3, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
LH playing the old frog boiling technique

Rambuster you're turning out to be the dark knight of apocalypse of the M&M forum. Every time you start a thread it seems M&M has been devalued beyond repair. Use your powers to make M&M stop

Lufty is using the frog boiling technique. One enhancement at the time. Like clockwork.
E-vouchers expiring
New award chart
Now op ups gone for cheap Y.

and not to forget, M&M handing out SEN to FB Golds like candy, after FB handed it out like there is no tomorrow.

All lovely to continue the liberation.

GBM
Old Jun 3, 2011, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by BikeHelmet
By the way, is there a way to book Q (H, M) instead of V on LH.com when V is what they sell by default as "Economy Basic Plus"? Or do you have to call / use a TA to do something like that?
This is something I've been wondering about already for a long time.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:18 pm

Im puzzled.. with every other enhancement, there was some kind of direct benefit to LH that they would gladly make travelers unhappy for. However, here, I fail to see the upside. If Opups need to happen, they will. And it is highly questionable if someone with a higher fare class is more likely to return for the off chance of an op-up.

Have they resorted to thinking up stuff just to spite those pesky status pax?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by hwmorth
Im puzzled.. with every other enhancement, there was some kind of direct benefit to LH that they would gladly make travelers unhappy for. However, here, I fail to see the upside. If Opups need to happen, they will. And it is highly questionable if someone with a higher fare class is more likely to return for the off chance of an op-up.

Have they resorted to thinking up stuff just to spite those pesky status pax?
Perhaps LH believe that this will make status pax buy eco tickets in a higher fare bucket. The underlying reason for this enhancement may be that they intend to decrease the number of tickets sold in the lowest fare buckets in favour of the more expensive eco fares.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by A380*G
Perhaps LH believe that this will make status pax buy eco tickets in a higher fare bucket. The underlying reason for this enhancement may be that they intend to decrease the number of tickets sold in the lowest fare buckets in favour of the more expensive eco fares.
If the 50% mileage penalty and non-upgrade clause don't work, I hardly see a mythical chance of an op up driving someone to pay 100% more.

Plus, this is probably the most discrete enhancements lately, so doubt anyone except VFF and FT members notice it and changes buying habit accordingly. I fail to see a real reason for this except discouraging the few Y SEN flyers like me from long haul travel with LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.