Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mileage run seminar in Phoenix a great success-- thanks VJ!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Rather than add a post to the existing thread on planning the mileage run seminar, and have it get buried at the end of nearly 300 posts, I thought it was appropriate to start a new thread to report on how well the Sept 19seminar went, but mostly to say a huge "thank you" to VJ for his time and effort in planning and teaching the seminar. Around 60 FTers and friends were present in Phoenix from across North America, and in fact, a FTer came from Saudi Arabia to attend. If you haven't attended one of these in the past you should make it a priority to attend the next one. Not only does VJ share a lot of info that otherwise would take take years to learn thru trial and error, but it's great to be with a roomful of people that all think that MRs are a great idea, and not some early manifestation of mental illness.

Once again, THANK YOU VJ for your time and effort.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines
I went for my mom, who couldn't get there, and I learned a lot. Thanks to VJ and all of the other FTers who were there, I am now interested in mileage running.

Thank you VJ.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
thanks! VJ! ^ this seminar really helped to fill in all the missing pieces for me. there was so much info, it will take me a bit to process but i can't wait to plan my first run.

it was nice chatting with people from this forum in person, too. not to mention being in a room full of people who don't think you are crazy for enjoying travel and frequent flyer status, not to mention having miles to burn for trips etc. nice to meet my fellow "crazies". LOL
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by potcake
Rather than add a post to the existing thread on planning the mileage run seminar, and have it get buried at the end of nearly 300 posts, I thought it was appropriate to start a new thread to report on how well the Sept 19seminar went, but mostly to say a huge "thank you" to VJ for his time and effort in planning and teaching the seminar. Around 60 FTers and friends were present in Phoenix from across North America, and in fact, a FTer came from Saudi Arabia to attend. If you haven't attended one of these in the past you should make it a priority to attend the next one. Not only does VJ share a lot of info that otherwise would take take years to learn thru trial and error, but it's great to be with a roomful of people that all think that MRs are a great idea, and not some early manifestation of mental illness.

Once again, THANK YOU VJ for your time and effort.
+1

Thanks again VJ, and thanks to everyone for their insightful questions! The dinners last night & tonight were also great fun and great sources of MR & FF info.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Hey gang what a great time! How comforting is it to walk into a room full of strangers and the very first question is, "Hi I'm Jeff, what alliance are you with?"

Sorry to miss the dinner afterwards as I really wanted to visit with you folks but my HS buddy lives in Phoenix and I wanted to get to him tonight.

VJ you are so patient and have such a pleasant way about you, thank you for your time.

Love ya don't tell ya enough.

I'm ready for the 102 course and not to be a separatist but a star alliance seminar would rock.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:28 am
HCA

Great seminar and thanks VJ.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:39 am

Programs: NW (Plat), PriorityClub (Plat)
VJ, there is nothing tougher than talking to a group whose understanding of a topic covers a broad spectrum, from newbie novice to very veteran. You did a great job of talking to the whole group. We are lucky that you are willing to help out so many people. Continued good luck to you!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Thanks VJ and to all who attended

This is my second seminar, I brought my wife and she also enjoyed it too. At the end it was overl;oad, lets plan a MR and see. Sorry we missed dinner, but one of my dear college buddies lives in Phoenix and we meet up with him. It is wonderful to be surrounded by individuals who know what we like, enjoys a trip and are always looking for a god fare to travel.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Thanks VJ

Thanks, VJ, for giving us your time, experience and knowledge. I echo all the sentiments in the above posts regarding how great the seminar was for both novices and veterans alike.

It's always great to learn of others' experiences, and to share one's own.

I know I speak for everyone who was there when I say that we are very grateful and thankful that you have a generous spirit and we were able to experience it.

Look forward to attending a 201 seminar some time in the future.

Good luck with everything.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (and 3mm), SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Virtuoso, FSPP
I agree with everyone above. There was tons of useful tips in the session, and several more from hanging out with fellow FTers. This was my first Do or Mini-Do, I suppose, and I had a blast. I can't wait for the next one.

Thanks VJ for your time and hardwork!

Chris
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by to and fro
VJ, there is nothing tougher than talking to a group whose understanding of a topic covers a broad spectrum, from newbie novice to very veteran. You did a great job of talking to the whole group. We are lucky that you are willing to help out so many people. Continued good luck to you!
+1^
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by potcake
it's great to be with a roomful of people that all think that MRs are a great idea, and not some early manifestation of mental illness.
Funny - and too late, some of us have already been categorized as insane.
So when is the next mileage run seminar?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 3:04 am

Programs: AS 100K/F9 100K/*A-Gold/AA 1.6mm/HyattGlobal/IHG SPIRE/Hilt-Caes-Wynd DIAM/Rad & Crown&Anch GOLD
Originally Posted by to and fro
My thoughts exactly! Again, thank you for keeping things moving at a pace that made it possible for us to finish at the appointed time. (And, also, thank you for continuing to move through the material sequentially when things began to veer off course.)

I really learned a lot, as well, from everyone at dinner. Thank you all for sharing so many great insights and experiences. It was a blast. Plain and simple.

So, aside from hanging with challett for a relaxing few hours in Scottsdale, what did I do with my Sunday? Why, I went hunting for MRs, of course.

Holding AA O-class ticket for 16930 EQMs at $461 a/i (2.7 cpm):
LAX-SFO-MIA-SXM-JFK-LAX. Depart October 6, arrive Oct 7, home Oct 10. The three nights in paradise are just icing on the cake.

LAX-FCO for $637 a/i (25,425 EQMs) is lookin' molto bene, too. I think this fare ends 9/23, so jump on it now-ish.

Lookin' forward to seein' y'all at VJ's MR201 in FY2010.
--aaron

p.s. Newsflash: I ate NO pizza today!

Last edited by noneemac; Sep 27, 2009 at 1:14 pm
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:38 am
77W

Another big thanks to VJ. Even though I had to bug out around 2 to catch my flight back to BUF, I still learned a great deal from the beginning part of the seminar and from chatting with other FTers.

I regret missing the part on fare rules/restrictions and fare classess, so if anyone has some notes they could send my way for that (there was a lady in a black ribbed sleeveless top in front of me who appeared to be taking excellent notes), or suggest where I might read up on this stuff, I'd appreciate it. I'm still very "green" but eager to go and fly, not just for cheap miles, but for the love of flying itself.

Hope to see you all next year where I'll make sure I'm under no time constraint whatsoever!

-Andrew
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:10 am

I loved everything there is to love about this seminar-the PEOPLE,the EDUCATOR,the knowledge that I received not only about "doing a MR" BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY-from those whom I received it from! I love it when all walks of life can come together as one for the great times that life should be-not for a moment but for an eternity. But if this happens only for a moment, treat it like an eternity. I pray to see many of u at the next "soon-to-be" seminar(if u feel that I'm speaking for u VJ, pls don't take it personal-LOL)/somewhere on the road. Mr CarlJ-STOP PLAYIN'-Love u "to and fro" & "scoow"(great people). "to and fro," I bet u don't even remember who I am(stop laughing) & CDking-who knows where 1 might see u. VJ-UR THE MAN!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.