Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mr: Cle -> mco

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Mr: Cle -> mco

We (fiancee and I) are making a trip to orlando on the 26th of August and return on the 30th of August. The way down there we need direct as that is what fits into our plans- the way home is open for a MR though . We are looking for Continental Onepass miles on this one. The RT fare for direct flights this trip is 158usd. I have been unable to find any routing options for this fare. I am also waiting on a KVS activation code to check into this further. Anyone have a chance to check this for possible routes I could book for the return trip?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I am able to find information from the fare rules like this:

NEW FLIGHTS AND ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER
THE FARE RULE.
But am not finding what routing options are permitted...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:56 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
don't let the $158 fare get away....good luck.....

if you need mi's, route thru the left coast on the way back...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

That is exactly what I would like to do, problem is every time I try a combination of routes, the price skyrockets... I'll keep trying some stuff..
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:36 pm

I've actually done this route a couple times. You can probably divert yourself through IAH on the way back, though that's not much in the way of miles. Unfortunately, CO's western-most hub is IAH, so you're going to have a tough time finding a flight to the west via IAH returning to CLE. Try out PDX and SEA, as they are generally cheaper than the more glamorous SoCal alternatives. The best suggestion I have is to leave from CMH if you're willing to make the drive--you should be able to find some very good deals out of there.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Now is the whole concept of the MR trying to get a flight with connections for more miles for that same low fare? Just wondering exactly how that works...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
blackburn....the concept of a mr is to get the most mi's [or whatever you need] for the least money....you are trying to tweak a trip that you want/have to take to get more something....sorry i don't have any ideas for you...good luck....
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CO has horribly restrictive routing rules on most domestic itineraries. They control them very carefully. Their TATL routes are a bit more flexible (East coast - IAH - EWR - Europe is usually permitted) but the domestic stuff isn't all that great.

I'd book the cheap fare on either the non-stop or an IAH connection if it is offered and take the cheap fare. If you get too creative with the routing CO will simply stack the fares together of the multiple segments and you'll be quite unhappy with the results.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

That's what is was lookin like to me when I tried to add segments. I was getting a lot better results when looking at a pure MR with United Airlines through ITA travel...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by blackburn2413
That's what is was lookin like to me when I tried to add segments. I was getting a lot better results when looking at a pure MR with United Airlines through ITA travel...
UA is MUCH more flexible with their routing rules.

If you want to see what it would be with CO you can use ITA and put from MCO:: CO CO CO+ and to CLE and see what it does. I do not think that you'll be pleased.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
but am not finding what routing options are permitted...
routing 451 *** travel must be nonstop ***
The OP has several issues.

1. CLE fares are expensive in general
How often you see ex-CLE fares on this forum?

2. CO is toughest (in my opinion) carrier to create mileage runs
There are some exceptions, but it's rare to see many fares yield low cents per EQM.

3. Originating from dominant carrier's hub airport (known as "Hub-Captive")
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

What you are all saying definately makes sense. I have columbus and pittsburgh as a couple airport options I can use for other MR's. I am just looking to learn how it all works so I can plan better for a large MR that doesnt involve a specific vacation... That is my goal, And I need CO miles, but flying anything in the star alliance would be fine for me... UA is another favorite of mine.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
I have columbus and pittsburgh as a couple airport options I can use for other MR's.
There is a good fare on CMH-SEA right now. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.