Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to trick the system? (Mod note: hidden city ticketing)

Old Aug 15, 09, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold

i am looking for flights from EZE to JFK (one way), in business class. the prices comes out to over $4000. when i put in EZE - YYZ (via JFK), the price drops to $2500. so i can just get off at JFK and not take the flight to YYZ. does anyone know any other ways to trick the system to get even lower fares?

PM me if this is something that can not be discussed.

thanks
Old Aug 15, 09, 8:48 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by ekartash View Post
i am looking for flights from EZE to JFK (one way), in business class. the prices comes out to over $4000. when i put in EZE - YYZ (via JFK), the price drops to $2500. so i can just get off at JFK and not take the flight to YYZ. does anyone know any other ways to trick the system to get even lower fares?

PM me if this is something that can not be discussed.

thanks

I believe we can discuss hidden city routing. This is what you found when you booked a flight to YYZ through JFK. Airlines are not fond of people who use hidden city routings to drop the cost of their fares. That being said, if you are not a regular customer of the airline you are going to use, what can they do about it as long as they don't discover your intentions prior to the trip?

That being said, I am not certain about security however. I think that the US would be concerned about people claiming to be transiting the USA changing their minds and staying instead. However,if you are using a USA passport and are not a foreign national,then I do not think this is a concern.

You are lucky that you are going through the US. You will have to clear customs at JFK no matter if you are arriving in the USA or just transiting it. Since you will have to claim and clear your luggage at customs after clearing passport control, you can just walk out of JKF and leave the airport when finished with this process. There will be no one to force you on the next flight to YYZ.
So, in summary, you can do this hidden city routing and save your money. However, don't do it very often on the same airline or they will get you in your wallet or worse, your travel plans.
Old Aug 16, 09, 12:13 am

As mentioned, you won't have any trouble with this if you have a US passport. And don't try and do it multiple times.

LAN's fare to YYZ is probably cheaper to compete with Air Canada's Executive Class fare, which comes in at appr. $ 2400 CDN all in (one way) for some dates I checked this fall. That might be another option to consider. Travel on AC to YYZ in Business and then buy a cheap ticket to JFK.

Another possibility is to get your hands on 50,000 AA Advantage miles. That will get you a one way Business MileSaaver award ticket from EZE to JFK. Plus $ 100 or so dollars in taxes. Do you have any Diners Club or Starwood points that you can convert to AA miles? You might also look into the cost of purchasing the miles from AA. I believe they were having a sale on miles, but it might be over. You didn't say what date you wanted to fly, but Business MileSaaver seats were available on many of the random dates I checked this fall.

Others with more experience will have to comment on the relative quality of the Business class experience between LAN, AC, and AA.
Old Aug 16, 09, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Many business class fares allow stopovers. Check and see if you can make a stop for a few days at JFK rather than a connection. Plan ahead.... Perhaps you need to get to YYZ a few months from now, and you can use that segment.
Old Aug 16, 09, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Many business class fares allow stopovers. Check and see if you can make a stop for a few days at JFK rather than a connection. Plan ahead.... Perhaps you need to get to YYZ a few months from now, and you can use that segment.
+1

Or at a minimum, schedule a long connection (i.e., leaving the next day).

Otherwise you risk getting rerouted in a schedule change or if there are delays. In a delay situation, AA may see you missing your connection, and they'll auto-rebook you on EZE-MIA-YYZ or something. That's the last thing you want.

So if you can pull it off EZE-JFK (overnight) JFK-YYZ, you can say you need to spend a day in NYC if anything arises, since that's how you booked it.

That said, it is still hidden city ticketing, which is likely against the fare rules. So just be careful.
Old Aug 16, 09, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
I always add an overnight before dumping some fuel @ the CN tower.
Old Aug 16, 09, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Originally Posted by radonc1 View Post
I think that the US would be concerned about people claiming to be transiting the USA changing their minds and staying instead. However,if you are using a USA passport and are not a foreign national,then I do not think this is a concern.
OP can also arrange for a stopover in the US connecting city, not just a connection. This would help greatly.

Search this Thread