Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Last MR Tomorrow and I'm sick!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold

So I've had a banner streak of flying recently and tomorrow is my final MR for quite sometime (lax-ewr-bfs-ewr-lax) all back to back, quite a doozy.

So I wake up this morning and I have a pretty moderate cold/cough going on. Am I crazy if I still go through with the run? Its 23k EQM and puts me over the top for plat on CO.

Also what do I do if some silly hypochondriac tries accusing me of having the swine flu??
Old May 15, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by cobrax333
So I've had a banner streak of flying recently and tomorrow is my final MR for quite sometime (lax-ewr-bfs-ewr-lax) all back to back, quite a doozy.

So I wake up this morning and I have a pretty moderate cold/cough going on. Am I crazy if I still go through with the run? Its 23k EQM and puts me over the top for plat on CO.

Also what do I do if some silly hypochondriac tries accusing me of having the swine flu??
If they do that, you stand firm that you are sticking on your flight. If the airline decides to remove you, you demand compensation and an upgrade for your inconvenience.

As far as going through with the run, how sick are you? If it is a cold, you should be fine to fly.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I believe the airlines are handing out surgical masks to anyone sick.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:41 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Do everyone a favor (including yourself) and stay home. Just pay the change fee and chalk it up to life intervening.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat.

Suck it up soldier!

Don't make it obvious that you aren't feeling well. See how you feel in the morning, then decide.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:19 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
My nose started running while sitting on the tarmac and waiting on a mechanical delay IAH-MCO on Thursday as part of MCO-EWR-HNL-IAH-MCO.

Today i'm full blown sick with a yucky runny nose and congestion and such.

If you don't feel fine tomorrow then i'd seriously consider not going. How do you react to dayquil and such? Also, airport stores wont have the "good stuff" like old-fashioned pseudophedrine.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K

YOu don't need a mask. That is 2ndary. Just sneeze & cough into your sleeve or cloth. The thing you do need to do is not touch doorknobs and surfaces until you've washed your hands. if you sneeze into your hands, wash them again before touching things.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:53 pm

I did a ewr-hnl run 2 weekends ago and a double RT transcon this past weekend. Woke up Wed night with congestion and have been feeling lousy yesterday and today. If I had another run this weekend, I would postpone. I've seen people ignore colds and come down with bronchitis and pneumonia.

Then again, my brother, internal medicine MD, told me today that his office is mobbed by people suffering from allergies.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: Independent
For what it is worth, allergies this year seem to be bad - I am suffering from them heavily myself. so that may be it.

Then again, only you know you that well. How will you be with a cold - I find sitting on a plane not to be that bad for me, other than the fact I am always coughing. I would make sure to buy a bottle or two of water to carry on, and not have to wait for service to come by.

But also watch for your ears - if your head is congested, there is a good change so will you nasal/ear passages, and that can mean big time headaches while flying.

I would buy some Pseudo at home and take it with you - in tablet form they are fine to go through security.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:22 pm

Just read this report:
"U.S. health officials are seeing a surprisingly high number of cases of ordinary, seasonal flu at a time when the flu season typically peters out.

About half of people recently testing positive for the flu have the new swine flu virus, Dr. Daniel Jernigan of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said Friday.

The rest have seasonal flu, which is still causing widespread or regional illness in about two dozen states, "something that we would not expect at this time," he said. "We would be expecting the season to be slowing down or almost completely stopped."

So if you do come down with the flu, you have a 50/50 chance of getting the old stuff or the new stuff.
Old May 15, 2009, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / IC RA/ Hilton Plat / Bonvoy Gold
while my cough is still lingering i dont feel nearly as bad as i did when i woke up this morning

assuming im not any worse when i wake up i'm going for it

DEQM is ending soon and i dont see any runs out there after DEQM that will net me anywhere near the 1.3 cpm this trip is getting me.

going to stock up on an assortment of pills to bring just in case as well as some cough drops...thanks for the suggestions!

hopefully it goes well, i'm sure i'll have nothing better to do that post updates from the pclubs (will guest for pseudo, lol)
Old May 15, 2009, 10:45 pm

You might want to consider picking up some Musinex for the cough.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Good luck, and I would say as long as you don't think you are going to make others sick around you and you don't feel too terrible, go for it.

I had an international trip from Bahrain - Manila this past September and I was SICK. I had a small window of time off from work and if I didn't go then I would have missed it. I went and recovered when I got to the PI and staying in my hotel room for 2 days. In retrospect I don't think flying made me any sicker necessarily but it wasn't a MR and I wanted to get there. Thus if I was that sick and it was MR I would have packed it in and paid the change fee.
Old May 16, 2009, 7:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
while my cough is still lingering i dont feel nearly as bad as i did when i woke up this morning

assuming im not any worse when i wake up i'm going for it

DEQM is ending soon and i dont see any runs out there after DEQM that will net me anywhere near the 1.3 cpm this trip is getting me.

going to stock up on an assortment of pills to bring just in case as well as some cough drops...thanks for the suggestions!

hopefully it goes well, i'm sure i'll have nothing better to do that post updates from the pclubs (will guest for pseudo, lol)
wishing you well on your run and i am in the same boat (er, plane) as i've been sick for the past two weeks. everything is pretty much gone except the cough and it IS a bad cough but like you i'm gonna suck it up (for me, next w/e) and bring tylenol, allergy pills, and a 3.0 oz bottle of cough syrup.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by goalie
wishing you well on your run and i am in the same boat (er, plane) as i've been sick for the past two weeks. everything is pretty much gone except the cough and it IS a bad cough but like you i'm gonna suck it up (for me, next w/e) and bring tylenol, allergy pills, and a 3.0 oz bottle of cough syrup.
Oh dear +1 here too . I have a huge MR SYD-LAX-SFO next week and I am still battling a sinus infection and messed up ears (dizzy spells) nearly 4 weeks later. I also get pretty bad allergies.

I will have a few meds on board and just bought a great new nasal spray (FESS) with tea tree oil for frequent flyers. PERFECT . Hope it works.
I also have some sinus tabs with pseudoephedrine, is that ok to bring into the USA? I dont want to get busted at customs .

I hope OP and goalie feel better soon and enjoy your MRs .

Last edited by Downunder girl; May 16, 2009 at 9:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.