Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

is it illegal to hire someone to fly under your name?

is it illegal to hire someone to fly under your name?

Old May 20, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by thebug622
Years ago (late 80s?) before an ID was required people would sell tickets in the newspaper I once flew on a ticket that was issued to a gentleman with a Chinese name I also responded to an ad in the SD Union from a guy who paid people who were flying to the East coast $50 to fly in his name so he would get the miles . Ah the good old days
Getting your miles and status taken away is one reason not to do it. Illegal is another. Even if you found somone these days to fly across the US for $50 + tckt price, it takes away from the cpm ratio, ruining a good MR. To me that's like taking the risk of robbing a bank that you know has no money.

Until TSA's May 15 announcement maybe a jr or sr could fly on the same account. (You know get your bored retired father to take a few trips for you!) The requirement to put names exactly as ID's, could hinder a shared account between a jr and sr (Of course depends on how strict, will they see/require a suffix?)
Old May 20, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent/MR Gold/ HH Diamond/National/MGM/Amex
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
No- the moral of the story is don't get caught.
I thought that was The Golden Rule...YMMV

I dont think that I would try this, half the fun of a MR is actually DOING the MR. Could just be me tho...
Old May 20, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Clincher
Until TSA's May 15 announcement maybe a jr or sr could fly on the same account. (You know get your bored retired father to take a few trips for you!) The requirement to put names exactly as ID's...
Would this affect middle names or nicknames (James v Jim)? I tend to be pretty careless about using the middle initial name or not using it. So far no problem.
Old May 20, 2009, 2:31 pm

Programs: The local deli gives me 1 free sandwich after I buy 10
Originally Posted by aktchi
Would this affect middle names or nicknames (James v Jim)? I tend to be pretty careless about using the middle initial name or not using it. So far no problem.
Same here, use of middle name has presented no problems.
There may be another thread talking about this. Here is what I found last Friday:
In the near future, small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger's reservation information, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, will not be an issue for passengers. Over time, passengers should strive to obtain consistency between the name on their government issued ID and the travel information they use for booking flights.
full press release:
http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2009/0512.shtm
Old May 21, 2009, 3:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
Now this is one ridiculous discussion:

1. Why would you want to get frequent flyer miles if you don't want to fly?

2. Ok, you would do 1, because the ratio is so great, that if you do 10x a cheapo flight, you get enough miles into your account to fly First Class in SQ for half the price. Wow, take a risk of losing all the FF-miles in your account, losing the whole account, getting banned from flying with the airline for a while time/life, criminal charges from the airline, from the airport and, if you get really lucky: From federal authorities, because they assume that something else was planned.

^ Good one guys.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
How many of you have switched seats with someone? If you want to get picky about it, sitting in a seat with someone else's name on it could be considered "illegal" too.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN since 2007
Originally Posted by jayenoh
How many of you have switched seats with someone? If you want to get picky about it, sitting in a seat with someone else's name on it could be considered "illegal" too.
Yeah right - get a grip...
Old May 21, 2009, 5:20 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
LOL just read the Op's statement, yes there is no way you'd be detected currently by TSA or the airlines on domestic travel.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:50 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
If your only goal is maximizing mileage acccumulation, then you don't have to worry about achieving status..you should have enough miles to redeem for First or Business Class travel which gives you all the benefits of top tier status anyway.

Therefore.....

1. find someone(s!!) who has a lot of time on their hands and a zest for travel and is relatively responsible and trustworthy, preferably someone who can fly ultra-long haul routes multiple times in a relatively short window.
Your offer- they see the world on your dime, you get access to the miles they earn- simple formula.
2. find that magical combination of amazing low fares (ideally long haul Business or First Class from obscure Asian starting points), programs with amazing mileage earning potential especially for premium class fares and that allow member to authorize a third party to access their account for booking, programs that offer earning bonuses after certain thresholds
3. if 1 and 2 are possible, YOU create the mileage account for the person you have recruited to fly...including the PIN number, so only YOU and not the actual member can access their accounts and make bookings.
4. You pay for member's flights, they fly and earn miles in their account, YOU redeem awards from their accounts as authorized third party.

No sneaking around, no shenanigans, no skirting government or airline program rules.

................as one who knows.......!

Last edited by beaubo; May 21, 2009 at 9:05 pm
Old May 21, 2009, 9:00 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
This would be a lot simpler if mere mortals could buy miles at .015 in bulk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.