Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

My First MR - A Quick Antecdote

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2009, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum

I was on my first MR, ORD-SFO-BOS-SFO-ORD, all on UA, and the first leg was delayed by weather/crew. I thought I'd miss my red eye SFO-BOS flight but alas, SFO was a mess so I was delayed. My flight crew going to SFO was professional and they looked into the residual effects of a 4 hour 45 min flight from ORD to SFO.

When I landed and realized I'd be delayed, I still scurried to my SFO=BOS gate, where the gate agents were calming, reassuring and funny. They could tell I needed a drink so they told me to go to the RCC, assured that the advanced information they had on my red eye was right. They were spot on. While I spent 45 min in the RCC, I checked email, watched TV, glued myself to onemileatatime.com and my new (2nd) favorite blog waap.blogspot.com before heading back to the gate.

I asked the gate agent if my flight was close to boarding and she told me it’d be a few more minutes. So I decided to stockpile some goodies for me, unbeknownst to me it’d help later on. The FAs were 90 min late and I boarded (8d). The FAs on 0180 were so nice, so chatty and so hungry from rushing and not eating. I put 2 and 2 together (and made 3) and put together a late night feast for my 2 FAs, SFO RCC style. The FAs were super nice for the rest of the flight, bringing some vino, some more vino, and a little water to hydrate. My goal was to standby for the turnaround BOS-SFO jaunt but we missed it. I did run into a fellow MR’er who has never been on FT but I think I converted him. All in all, I'm content with the first 2 legs of my first MR and am slowly getting hooked!
Old May 2, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Great writing style, I really enjoyed this post, please keep us informed about the rest of the trip.

Cheers Larry from Scotland.
Old May 2, 2009, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1P, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by larrywilmot747
Great writing style, I really enjoyed this post, please keep us informed about the rest of the trip.

Cheers Larry from Scotland.
Thanks, Larry.

I was hoping to standby for the 7:50 am but missed it by about 25 minutes. The purser told me there was a guy doing the same thing as me and he missed the 7:50, so we hung out in the Boston RCC. I introduced him to Flyertalk, told him about the DEQM retro code, and taught him the #1 FT rule. When you call United and you dont like your answer, hang up and call again. He was confirmed in 1st on the 7:50 but lost his upgrade on the 10:20and couldnt sweettalk into Rows1-6, though he was quite content in 8d. The CR1 they gave him was a nice consolation.

Anyway, I just got off the return BOS-SFO, which turned out to be a full 1 hr, 40 min slower. Used a CR1 and had a good crew, though they kind of tailed off service after lunch and I had to ask for a cocktail an hr before landing.

One thing I didnt like - when the purser was reading conneecting gate info and saw Chicago, he kind of made a snide remark and it kind of annoyed me. I doubt it'll deter me from this insanity in the near future.

2 hrs + until my voyage back to ORD. I really wish my flight was oversold so I could stay and watch the Bulls -Celtics game 7. Ugh!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.