Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever done a MR to Russia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:15 am
Original Poster

I've been able to hold a couple of weekend MRs to DME from LAX for $506ai. These work out to about 28,000 EQM each with the promo.

But it looks like visas aren't easy to come by, and the State Dpeartment isn't exactly encouraging travel to Russia:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: The Russian government maintains a restrictive and complicated visa regime for foreigners who visit, transit, or reside in the Russian Federation. A U.S. citizen who does not comply with Russian visa laws can be subject to arrest, fines, and/or deportation. Russian authorities will not allow a U.S. citizen traveler with an expired visa to depart the country, effectively stranding the person for up to 20 days, until local authorities grant an exit visa.

The Government of Russia does not recognize the standing of the U.S. diplomatic mission to intervene in visa matters, including situations in which an American is stranded because of an expired visa. U.S. citizens should also be aware that Russian immigration and visa laws change regularly, and the implementation of new regulations has not always been transparent or predictable.
What say ye, FT? Anyone done it? Worth the hassle?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
http://www.russia-visa.com/
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
See the other thread in this forum about turnaround in Moscow.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
even if you get deported at least you'll know you have a flight back and still get the miles the one and only time you'll be in russia...lol. but obviously have your documents ready and in order if you are to do such a MR.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1k, AmEx Plat, Global Entry & Pre✓
As said in the other thread, the airline may not let you board without proper documents.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
From the US State Department:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: The Russian government maintains a restrictive and complicated visa regime for foreigners who visit, transit, or reside in the Russian Federation.
From http://www.russia-visa.com/ :

Russian visa requirements have never been easier
Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:30 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Yep.. I've used www.russia-visa.com before when I visited Moscow 2005.. and just sent my passport off to them again last night. I should have my passport back on Mar 28/30.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:43 pm

Are the miles a good buy? Being in Moscow even for a short time not too expensive?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 12:49 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by best
Being in Moscow even for a short time not too expensive?
Moscow is now the most expensive city in the world. And the traffic is terrible. Though I think you can take the Metro from DME into the city. Never done it as I was always flying into/out of SVO. The axchange rate is pretty good now

Last edited by STBCypriot; Mar 19, 2009 at 12:50 am Reason: added exchange rate note
Old Mar 19, 2009, 1:51 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Moscow is now the most expensive city in the world. And the traffic is terrible. Though I think you can take the Metro from DME into the city. Never done it as I was always flying into/out of SVO. The axchange rate is pretty good now
You can take a train to one of the main stations, and the metro from there. Aeroexpress
Old Mar 19, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Instead of taking the expensive route of using a service like CIBT. I just bought a ticket to Houston (more miles), went to the consulate, the rep pointed out that I needed to put NA in all of the empty spaces and add the name of the insurance carrier. They wanted an envelope for the next week and then told me they could fedex it to me. I filled out the airbill to mail to me. Gave them a cashiers check and left. A week later all five of our passports arrived. No problem at all.

Now if you are not a US born or have a criminal history, things might be different for you. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.