Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by 15cats
Interesting info although not that practical since I'm using either a CSR or AMEX and I don't have GDS so not quite sure that's helpful either.

However one thing I do know is that it'd be really nice if you could lock in a price in TRY today and perhaps not have to book the ticket and pay for it for a few days. Then maybe at a later date, you could evaluate whether it makes sense to purchase the ticket at the forex price that was set a a few days ago maybe a mispriced currency put. Perhaps this is not what such a feature would be specifically designed for
A TST is only valid til midnight, then you need to reprice it. So at midnight the exchange rate gets updated. You can't delay a charge on your card, Right in the moment when you issue a ticket the card gets charged (if you bill via BSP)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by davem4
Shouldn't be much risk of them chasing you, I would perhaps credit any FF points to somewhere other than VS tho.

Can you share what zones you were looking at, I have some free time to do some searches.
Ex-C2.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:11 am

cx-cy

Last edited by benamis; Aug 15, 2018 at 3:24 am Reason: repeated message
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by davem4
Please let us know when you notice it start working again.

I have a list of the suspected city pairs, but unless the trick is live they wont show anything.
Freedom Ride still not helping but it has been on again/off again over the last year, so I don't think it is dead, just sleeping. A couple of other 3x pairs cause movements of YQ on some other itins that I fly, but a limited number of OTAs like to ticket it, and I'm waiting for my travel plans to firm up.

Off topic, but I often wonder how many folks here actually ticket and fly the tricks they find, or is finding them the goal?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Off topic, but I often wonder how many folks here actually ticket and fly the tricks they find, or is finding them the goal?
+200K miles in both 2016 and 2017, of which a big part was tricked in some way, so yes, some fly them.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL ✈️
Originally Posted by fbruno
+200K miles in both 2016 and 2017, of which a big part was tricked in some way, so yes, some fly them.
I usually dont fly my own tricks, but my friends do. I care more about not risking my airline status than flying cheap. I like to think about it, in a kind of "friends and family" fare.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by tomasdev
I usually dont fly my own tricks, but my friends do. I care more about not risking my airline status than flying cheap. I like to think about it, in a kind of "friends and family" fare.
Can I be your friend?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Can I be your friend?
))

I wish I could fly more on tricked tickets, but it's just a little bit hard to find them. However if I find them - it is a good choice for holidays when you are not sure where you want to go. It's just funny to trick the system in the end
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Just bought last week, sub 80 Euro each way TATL on major legacy carrier back to New York in high season for August 30 flight for entire family. Now in Montenegro after visiting Bellagio,Venezia, San Marino, Roma, Napoli and Bari.
Return to highly lit city in Europe for Thanksgiving holiday on another legacy carrier on same ticket.
zroland and karlot_96 like this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Aug 17, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by tomasdev
I am honestly not at all concerned about the prospect of the airline finding out and taking my (hard earned lifetime) status away. I just don’t think they will bother. Is there any reason I should be? Has anyone actually lost their status or been reprimanded or warned by an airline about that?

Last edited by FLA77; Aug 22, 2018 at 5:13 pm Reason: Edit
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:22 pm

Major 5* C3 carrier has started implementing YQ on some routes, such as $204.60 YQ C1-BKK, with wide open EoE rules. Keep an eye out for a fare sale that they run occasionally and you'll score some good deals.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
Major 5* C3 carrier has started implementing YQ on some routes, such as $204.60 YQ C1-BKK, with wide open EoE rules. Keep an eye out for a fare sale that they run occasionally and you'll score some good deals.
Yep I found it. However, when I try 3X, no fat removal. Any idea why?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kchanbeki
Looks like the YQ is charged per segment regardless of first departure or last arrival airport so it doesn't seem dumpable unless I am missing something.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:44 am

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Mict
Looks like the YQ is charged per segment regardless of first departure or last arrival airport so it doesn't seem dumpable unless I am missing something.
Seems not dumpable indeed. How do you derive YQ is charged per segment? From FR?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Le Blue
Can this carrier be trimmed before??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.