Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
Posts like this are pointless, but I'm sure it makes you feel good.
I feel very good my friend. My first intention was just to let you and other people to post their finding and improve the deal. So you should reconsider the word "pointless".

What can you tell me about the other two posts? Did you figure them out?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by jorun
Did you figure them out?
I did not. I tried, but my skill apparently are not good enough.

But, on the other hand, I wonder if anyone did? This one, as well as all the other tricks you are “sharing” in this thread? If not, they are in fact pointless! Regardless of your real intentions
FLA77 and glennhaak like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by bugss
I did not. I tried, but my skill apparently are not good enough.
well I hope for you that they will go on blogs but in that case I don't think they will honor the deals

normally if there is something that people can't find or understand, they will always say "pointless" because it's the only way to justify their limited skills.

Another general tip is to never believe to people who come from nowwhere and claim about tricks/mistakes/whatever
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
well I hope for you that they will go on blogs but in that case I don't think they will honor the deals

normally if there is something that people can't find or understand, they will always say "pointless" because it's the only way to justify their limited skills.

Another general tip is to never believe to people who come from nowwhere and claim about tricks/mistakes/whatever
That's ALWAYS been your problem: you think this is a competition. I remember when you came here asking for help; now its a peen measuring contest for you.

I don't need your tricks. Its great you are able to find so many deals, but you should fly them instead of challenging people to find them or beat you.
Alex100i, FLA77, glennhaak and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by skunker
That's ALWAYS been your problem: you think this is a competition. I remember when you came here asking for help; now its a peen measuring contest for you.

I don't need your tricks. Its great you are able to find so many deals, but you should fly them instead of challenging people to find them or beat you.
Agree with your points, skunker. Some folks on this forum (a couple I can think of) take themselves way too seriously (or want people to take them seriously), and offer not much of value and show ill placed contempt to others. I now simply ignore their posts, and move on to the next.

Personally, while I may not have a fraction of the knowledge of some of the forum contributors (and I mean contributors, and not just merely posters like myself ), thanks to folks who have helped me along the way, I have gained enough knowledge to find more tricked itineraries that I could possibly use. I fact, in the past year, I have booked two trips that I ended up not taking, and one more coming up in August that I will likely not be able to take. I have also tried to pay back to the forum members by sharing some working strikes with people in return.

This is a challenge, yes. and there are contributors like WWE who provide enough information for someone like me to get started and go by, which makes it fun.

My point is "$100 first class, beat that" is just waste of digital ink, and in my opinion to be ignored.
skunker and bugss like this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:32 pm

This is my take on recent discussion.

The intellectual challenge and rewards of a thrill when finding something? For me this is about cheap flying! Lets not fool ourselves. Most tricks all have the same basic construction with a wide variation on how to get the pricing engines confused about origin and destination or both and/or how to combine those 2+ fares. If one trick (combo) dies usually you move on to the next which would be VERY similar to the first etc. Honestly it is not rocket science. What you do need to spend time on is learning ITA Matrix and reading some parts of the (wider) fare rules for example which airlines have interline agreements on Expert Flyer. The last can save you lots of time.

Do not code base fares? Well especially to trick premium cabines you either need those low base fares or mistakingly filed base fares so those are in fact very valuable to know and find. Or flexible routes rules of course.They all die fast. Good candidates fares (with potential fare rules) are very useful and valuable.

There is a lot of people fishing on this forum who pose as experienced or long time contributors and experts. But most of the time the discussion here is about the above two points. Well look at me!

Not too long ago someone posted a trick for premium cabins on all routes of an airline. So why share that? If it is such a great and flexible trick it is only harmful to share it. The more people use a trick the more likely it is that it will get noted. Lets say you can fly business class from C to places for 100 euro. And then you book that lets say 10 times to turn your euros in to Alaska mileage points? You think staff is not going to note that guy/gal again? I presume btw that specific trick (prem cabin all routes) is a trick in a loyalty reward booking system. Lifemiles for example.

The 3 posts with the intention for other people to find the trick and improve on it (lol) if with honest intentions (I doubt those) and given the fact that the destinations are South America and Europe (do you really think public available coding would throw back people working at airlines?) would basically leave open 3 continents for departure/origin as we can sure agree Middle East is too close to Europe to get the mileage referred in fact using some basic triangulation most likely the origin is NW North America also given the mileage distance to both Southern South America and SE Europe. If these assumptions are wrong the post was probably not with the right intentions because the number of potential routes would be too large.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles, Sun Country Ufly
Hey guys, been a while since the $387 NYC MXP PRG PEK deal

Back to hunting. Finding a city with a big mall C1-> a frank little town C2 and then home from a lucky dark beer city C2 back to the big mall C1. Saw it was around $402 on a stroop waffle on Tuesday but that fare isnt showing anymore.

looking spring april/may 19 if anyone has any love for me i'd appreciate. Not a ton a fat to cut but id be pretty happy with a sub $470 fare to book via UR pts or in a traditional way.

Thanks

Last edited by toby16custom; Jun 23, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Mauritius YQ Free with 13 miler

Start trip from beautifully located airport and end trip in European Capital and do not not worry about ever flying the 13 miler.

and YES, I deliberately did not show the lowest cost combination. There are other destinations resulting in much lower All-in price.( saved screenshots of sub 164 R/T itinerary ).
Also if you do not want to waste the 13 miler X factor, you can just use a highly flyable American Airlines TCON. for~ $ 60 more or COPA C1-C 1.5.
zroland likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jun 25, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by geelgors
What you do need to spend time on is learning ITA Matrix and reading some parts of the (wider) fare rules for example which airlines have interline agreements on Expert Flyer. The last can save you lots of time.
Hi, should one focus on finding a trick involving the airlines they DO have an interline agreement with or those that they don't ??
Cheers :-)
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Hi, should one focus on finding a trick involving the airlines they DO have an interline agreement with or those that they don't ??
Cheers :-)
if the airlines don't have IA you can't mix them. You can mix them only if there is a third airline which has IA with the others. It's a smart way to force the ota to issue the ticket on another stock.
Anyway most of the dump are between airlines with IA.
it's better to focus the attention on which stock dumps the airline XX. There is a tool which can tell you exactly if airline XX is dumpable by stock XX. Sometimes fare rules tell you exactly which stock dump airline XX.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
if the airlines don't have IA you can't mix them. You can mix them only if there is a third airline which has IA with the others. It's a smart way to force the ota to issue the ticket on another stock.
Anyway most of the dump are between airlines with IA.
it's better to focus the attention on which stock dumps the airline XX. There is a tool which can tell you exactly if airline XX is dumpable by stock XX. Sometimes fare rules tell you exactly which stock dump airline XX.
As much as I was annoyed by your previous posts, this is something that newbies like myself can work with, thanks for clarifying!

Last edited by glennhaak; Jul 11, 2018 at 3:26 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by glennhaak
As much as I was enjoyed by your previous posts, this is something that newbies like myself can work with, thanks for clarifying!
Believe me that also the other posts was golden eggs.

My best tip for all the people who want to join this game is to never read/listen people who quote another member without "adding" relevant information. Do always your homework and if you can't find the trick, just leave it and try to find another one. You can't believe how many tricks, I wasn't able to find in the past and than after a little bit of knowledge I came back and solved the puzzle.

For example if another members is telling you that the 13 miles dump airline XX, probably this dump isn't due to a different stock. Obviously you can't be sure till you find the dump but this assumption will just narrow the search. The member also wrote "you can just use a highly flyable American Airlines TCON. for~ $ 60 more or COPA C1-C 1.5.", so your first assumption indeed is very strong.
So before to start any search you need to read carefully al the information because each part can help you in the search.

Have a nice day LOL

Last edited by Pat89339; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:22 am Reason: TOS 18
Old Jun 27, 2018, 4:06 am

Believe me that also the other posts was golden eggs.
Cmon that post was about the 90.000 (max, 10x 9k) Iberia avios promotion that ran until last Sunday. Your answer of the question about interline agreements is right. But this deal was mentioned on many blogs and websites and is no longer available.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:24 am Reason: Conform quote
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by geelgors
Cmon that post was about the 90.000 (max, 10x 9k) Iberia avios promotion that ran until last Sunday. Your answer of the question about interline agreements is right. But this deal was mentioned on many blogs and websites and is no longer available.
You didn't get the point.

Think in this way:
How many tricks "was applied" on trick it thread using the fares/deals posted on Mileage Run Discussion/other forums/whatever ? I can guarantee you that the list is very long!

At the same time ask to yourself: Why apparentely no one found or posted exactly what I wrote? (I remember you, I did two post with two prices)

Deal is one thing <---------------------------------------------------------------------> Maximize a deal with tricks is another thing.
(your knowledge will <-------------------------------------------------------------------> (think OUTSIDE the box)
stop on blogs).

This also explain why it's true the statement that often everything is under the nose but you can't see it.

Side note:
C2-C1.5 RT 123€ AI

Last edited by jorun; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: *A
C2-C1.5RT

You didn't get the point.

Think in this way:
How many tricks "was applied" on trick it thread using the fares/deals posted on Mileage Run Discussion/other forums/whatever ? I can guarantee you that the list is very long!

At the same time ask to yourself: Why apparentely no one found or posted exactly what I wrote? (I remember you, I did two post with two prices)

Deal is one thing <---------------------------------------------------------------------> Maximize a deal with tricks is another thing.
(your knowledge will <-------------------------------------------------------------------> (think OUTSIDE the box)
stop on blogs).

This also explain why it's true the statement that often everything is under the nose but you can't see it.

Side note:
C2-C1.5 RT 123€ AI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.